• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TX Tech Women's BB Coach

Lindsay Whalen hired as Gopher WBB Coach

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      Good luck to U of M on this one. Let's hire a former player who's never coached a day in her life.....and then, let's continue to let her play in the WNBA while she's still our head coach. Please U of M, do this so I can laugh my a$$ off in 3 years when your WBB program still sucks. I hope for U of M's sake, this remains a rumor.
      Yeah this is incredible. Maybe all the MN girls will want to play for her? That’s their only hope I think.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
        That account nailed everything happening with TT before and after they were talking with Stollings, only reason I'm giving it credibility.

To answer some questions above because I can't figure out how to do the multiple reply...

You don't apply to these kinds of jobs.

Minnesota has male head coaches in their other two big women's sports, hockey and volleyball.
        Minnesota has zero minority head coaches in any sport.
        When you have a really good candidate available like buffalo HC Legette-Jack who checks both boxes, the writing is on the wall. I'd be shocked if she isn't hired.
        Her big negative was her Big 10 record when she was head coach at Indiana.

Comment

When the job description included the WNBA playing years counting towards coaching experience, that told me they were opening the door for her.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            When the job description included the WNBA playing years counting towards coaching experience, that told me they were opening the door for her.
            I would agree with you...having that wording in the job posting was almost an invitation to Whalen. I agree with the poster above that this model has proven to work at South Carolina...and worked well. I just don't see it working everywhere. I wish Lindsey the best of luck and better her than AJ (for selfish reasons of course)!

Comment

I hope she is running that UM program for a LONG time.

Comment

Her big negative was her Big 10 record when she was head coach at Indiana.
                Did not realize she was HC at Indiana, everything written about her glossed over her time at Indiana so I just assumed she was an assistant. That skewed my perspective a bit.

Whalen though? Minnesota sure does love their own...good lord.

And the rabbits will keep on rolling with AJ at the helm!

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                  Lindsay Whalen hired as Gopher WBB Coach
                  I know I am guilty of thread drift, but to be discussing the head coach job for Minnesota in a thread about Texas Tech is weird!!!!!!. I know it is all about AJ leaving or staying.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 04-12-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks she's going to be successful?
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

• Re: TX Tech Women's BB Coach

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      It will help if she has Jim Peterson as one of her assistants.

Comment

Nope - she did color commentary on a few Wolves games this season, and it was educational listening to her and Peterson talk x's and o's. Not sure if Jim would want to give up the broadcasting gig to coach again, but that would be a good combo. Whalen should have street cred like no other - played in Final Four, Olympic gold medalist and multiple WNBA champ. Doesn't mean she can coach, but it will get her foot in the door for a lot of potential recruits.

Comment

Nope - she did color commentary on a few Wolves games this season, and it was educational listening to her and Peterson talk x's and o's. Not sure if Jim would want to give up the broadcasting gig to coach again, but that would be a good combo. Whalen should have street cred like no other - played in Final Four, Olympic gold medalist and multiple WNBA champ. Doesn't mean she can coach, but it will get her foot in the door for a lot of potential recruits.

Yep. I was going to say she is really an icon of U of M womens hoops. SHe has been great in her career, and like you said, her street cred with worth a lot.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

No, I'm with you. All through HS, College, pros, she should have been called Ms. Fundamental. Could easily become a problem for out of state recruiters.

Comment

She will do just fine.

Comment

As goes the Minn gophers women's basketball program, so goes the recruiting it would seem, wishing her good luck but, in a totally selfish way wishing her success and closing the door to Minn recruiting is not what we want. Call me conflicted.

Comment

Working...
                                X