Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TX Tech Women's BB Coach

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Just a realist, that's all. It's stupid to think that coaches should have this undying loyalty toward a program when they know that they're only a couple bad seasons from being canned. I don't blame them at all for looking out for their own best interests. Coaching is a very volatile career choice. Get the money while you can. I hope he stays obviously, but if he's a hot commodity and places like Texas Tech are calling, we better be willing to match their pay if we want to keep him rather than saying "good riddance".
    Everyone dreams, everyone has what if's in their head. That's fine with me. But when the face of a program decides he/she is better suited somewhere else and it becomes public knowledge, I am of the opinion its better for everyone involved that he/she finds their somewhere else ASAP.

Comment

According to the updated story/blog Texas Tech approached Johnston.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
        Everyone dreams, everyone has what if's in their head. That's fine with me. But when the face of a program decides he/she is better suited somewhere else and it becomes public knowledge, I am of the opinion its better for everyone involved that he/she finds their somewhere else ASAP.
        It looks to me like Texas Tech is the one who approached him and it is quite possible that he wasn't actively searching for a new job. I can't blame a guy for listening to someone presenting what could be a great opportunity even if you aren't trying to get out of town, like Craig Smith was. But it appears that what they offered or the situation wasn't good enough for him to do it, which is a good signal for SDSU womens basketball fans.

I am under no illusion that AJ will be here forever as he may very well be presented the perfect scenario and he will eventually take them up on it. He may be here for another 20 years too, but if he is, I am sure that there will be many ADs that will at least be obligated to him pick up the phone and guage his interest. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

As I think back, I recall AJ was nearing the Green Bay podium for a job change when he returned to Brookings to continue coaching the Jackrabbits. That could make the "all in" category. There were likely few to no negative thoughts about that episode. According to the Texas article, there may not have even been a formal interview. It is too early to question anyone's loyalty and I would be pleased to watch AJ lead the Jackrabbits in the future. I hope he gets a bump in pay too.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I have no idea how much faith we can put in some blog, but that at least looks like good news. It sure feels like AJ has unfinished business at SDSU and I hope he gets to cross a Sweet 16 off his list soon. Adding that to his already-impressive resume would put him high on a bunch of hiring lists.

This annual coaching roller coaster makes me appreciate Stig even more.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              Every year this coaching thing makes me realize how Stupid the NCAA looks for (effectively) punishing kids when they transfer add the 1 and done rule in MBB and it's a borderline legitimate anti-trust argument.
              The one and done rule is not an NCAA rule, it is an NBA rule. And I'll l say again, the NCAA does way more good than harm. What you see in the media regarding the NCAA is about 1% of what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                According to this AJ turned Texas Tech down but I'm not gonna be 100% comfortable until they hire someone. They might make another run at him since the UA-LR guy seems to have turned them down as well.

https://theraiderland.com/texas-tech...ng-who-is-out/
                Thanks for posting the link. I tend to agree with CappinHard on this topic. And note AJ is about as loyal to SDSU as one could reasonably expect.

98JackFarmer: maybe reduce the morning caffeine intake.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  The one and done rule is not an NCAA rule, it is an NBA rule. And I'll l say again, the NCAA does way more good than harm. What you see in the media regarding the NCAA is about 1% of what they do.
                  I won't argue with that, but it's on the backs of the athletes, and always at the will of the Power conference schools, I would not doubt that the 1 and done rule is a back room agreement.

Comment

Just reported Marlene Stollings the Gophers coach interviewed for the Texas Tech job. Now if the Gopher job opened up I would think AJ would be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Just reported Marlene Stollings the Gophers coach interviewed for the Texas Tech job. Now if the Gopher job opened up I would think AJ would be interested.
                      This would be worrisome. Only thing that may save SDSU is that MN is a very liberal area and the athletic department got a lot of push back because of the lack of diversity and women in the athletic department. They may need to hire a woman for the position.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        This would be worrisome. Only thing that may save SDSU is that MN is a very liberal area and the athletic department got a lot of push back because of the lack of diversity and women in the athletic department. They may need to hire a woman for the position.
                        The women's sports at Minnesota had their own AD until about 15 years ago. There were people high up in administration that fought combining the men and women under one AD tooth and nail. I think you are correct that there will be a push to hire another female coach if Stallings leaves. Especially since the other two high profile women's sports there (volleyball and hockey) have male coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          The women's sports at Minnesota had their own AD until about 15 years ago. There were people high up in administration that fought combining the men and women under one AD tooth and nail. I think you are correct that there will be a push to hire another female coach if Stallings leaves. Especially since the other two high profile women's sports there (volleyball and hockey) have male coaches.
                          All they've had lately is female coaches, so let's just assume they'll never want a male coach. I know, never say never.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            I feel this is very good news for us.

Comment

I understand the need to want to hire a women in those sports, but at the same time you want to hire the best candidate possible. wonder how much interest they would have in AJ. I would think he would make the short list at least.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                I understand the need to want to hire a women in those sports, but at the same time you want to hire the best candidate possible. wonder how much interest they would have in AJ. I would think he would make the short list at least.
                                It doesn't really matter what message boards think, but whenever AJ's name comes up on the Gopher board, the reaction is mixed. Some think he would help keep the best local players at home, while others say no thanks because of the past Green Bay situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X