New head coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New head coach

Sell hired Bono. Sell hired Otz. Sell has retained AJ. In Sell I trust.
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

The talk on the Hawkeye board is that it is between Hahn, Snyder and a third person with Hahn being the favorite. Some saying that third person is Nickerson from Northern Colorado, some say it is Ramos. Morningstar and Zadick have been thrown around to a lesser extent as well. That is an awesome group but I would think it is between Hahn and Snyder just based on experience. They are both, presumably, next in line to take over at their respective programs so leaving would be a tough decision. If they can keep our team together, SDSU offers a solid situation on day 1, which isn't always the case with coaching vacancies. Hearing a lot about Brown going to Wisconsin, even saw Mueller's name thrown around. Really hope we can turn that around.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverJack View Post
        The talk on the Hawkeye board is that it is between Hahn, Snyder and a third person with Hahn being the favorite. Some saying that third person is Nickerson from Northern Colorado, some say it is Ramos. Morningstar and Zadick have been thrown around to a lesser extent as well. That is an awesome group but I would think it is between Hahn and Snyder just based on experience. They are both, presumably, next in line to take over at their respective programs so leaving would be a tough decision. If they can keep our team together, SDSU offers a solid situation on day 1, which isn't always the case with coaching vacancies. Hearing a lot about Brown going to Wisconsin, even saw Mueller's name thrown around. Really hope we can turn that around.
        I would need a lot of convincing on Zadick, not sure I'd buy in on him. As rabbits64 mentioned Askren may be too "abrupt" for Brookings I feel the same can be said with Zadick.

Whoever they bring in I hope they and Sell give Caldwell an opportunity to stay on. He has learned so much in a year and understands the team, recruits and culture of Brookings. I believe the team as a whole really likes Cody too.

The new staff will be set up quite well, especially if they can keep most of the guys. I think we have a better than average chance of keeping most if not all of the recruits. As far as current team members, hard to say...Brown still has his redshirt to fall back and he seems to be more of a Bono guy than a Jack, so him jumping ship wouldn't shock me. Mueller would surprise me somewhat, SD kid and no redshirt left.

Hopefully they have someone in place really soon, I think that is an integral piece to keeping the recruits on board and the team intact.

Comment

If I am Justin Sell, I tell anyone asking about transferring that it won't be considered until the new coaching staff is in place and has had a chance to talk with the team. I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Chris Bono and what he did for SDSU and the wrestling program. But that would drop a notch if he starts poaching current wrestlers and/or signed recruits.

Comment

I am pretty sure in the sport of wrestling you can transfer w/out having to sit out a year at your next school (eg. JJ Everard transferred from SDSU to UNI w/out having to sit out).

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              I am pretty sure in the sport of wrestling you can transfer w/out having to sit out a year at your next school (eg. JJ Everard transferred from SDSU to UNI w/out having to sit out).
              Depends on the release I believe and it's a one time transfer. I would think that any guys wanting to go would be given release to any team not in the Big IIX, that's generally how it goes, hopefully they wait until meeting with the new staff to make that determination.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                Depends on the release I believe and it's a one time transfer. I would think that any guys wanting to go would be given release to any team not in the Big IIX, that's generally how it goes, hopefully they wait until meeting with the new staff to make that determination.
                Correct - wrestling is different than football, basketball and baseball. Different in that you can transfer and not have to sit out a year as long as the school you are leaving grants you a release. It is called the one-time transfer exception. If a release isn't granted, you can appeal it which goes in front of an independent review board consisting of faculty/staff members who aren't within the athletic department. Nothing official but it is spelled out here:

https://www.athleticscholarships.net...exceptions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  Correct - wrestling is different than football, basketball and baseball. Different in that you can transfer and not have to sit out a year as long as the school you are leaving grants you a release. It is called the one-time transfer exception. If a release isn't granted, you can appeal it which goes in front of an independent review board consisting of faculty/staff members who aren't within the athletic department. Nothing official but it is spelled out here:

https://www.athleticscholarships.net...exceptions.htm
                  Suriano at Penn State to Rutgers was a great example of this. Penn State didn't give a release, but he appealed to the NCAA and the gave it.

Lets remember about transfers, specifically to Wisconsin: what does Wisconsin have for scholarships? what wrestlers are returning at certain weights, What about the recruits that are already signed for next year, AND can the transfers qualify for the school. Wisconsin gives no leniency to athletes, they must check all the boxes to qualify and Wisconsin is a difficult school to qualify for. Here are the admissions requirement comparisons between SDSU and Wisconsin

ACT/SAT: SDSU 18/950 UW 28-32/1330-1460
                  GPA: SDSU 2.6 UW 3.8-4.0
                  Class rank: SDSU 60% UW 85% and higher

No disrespect, but some of our guys would not qualify for admissions at Wisconsin (I certainly would not have)

One last thing, are some of these recruits ticked off at Bono and Reader for leaving? I am sure they were promised that the staff was going to stick around, they are wanting to build something, etc. and then they left. Bottom line getting the right coach in here quickly is Huge to keeping our current wrestlers AND to build off of what Bono/Reader started.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                    Suriano at Penn State to Rutgers was a great example of this. Penn State didn't give a release, but he appealed to the NCAA and the gave it.

Lets remember about transfers, specifically to Wisconsin: what does Wisconsin have for scholarships? what wrestlers are returning at certain weights, What about the recruits that are already signed for next year, AND can the transfers qualify for the school. Wisconsin gives no leniency to athletes, they must check all the boxes to qualify and Wisconsin is a difficult school to qualify for. Here are the admissions requirement comparisons between SDSU and Wisconsin

ACT/SAT: SDSU 18/950 UW 28-32/1330-1460
                    GPA: SDSU 2.6 UW 3.8-4.0
                    Class rank: SDSU 60% UW 85% and higher

No disrespect, but some of our guys would not qualify for admissions at Wisconsin (I certainly would not have)

One last thing, are some of these recruits ticked off at Bono and Reader for leaving? I am sure they were promised that the staff was going to stick around, they are wanting to build something, etc. and then they left. Bottom line getting the right coach in here quickly is Huge to keeping our current wrestlers AND to build off of what Bono/Reader started.
                    With all due respect, not every student-athlete at Wisconsin has a 28 ACT minimum. No chance. Those numbers look impressive in general admissions catalogs or online but there is no way Wisconsin (or Cal, Stanford, insert any top level academic institution not in the Ivy League) are fielding competitive athletic teams by only recruiting student-athletes that meet the same academic requirements as the general student body.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      With all due respect, not every student-athlete at Wisconsin has a 28 ACT minimum. No chance. Those numbers look impressive in general admissions catalogs or online but there is no way Wisconsin (or Cal, Stanford, insert any top level academic institution not in the Ivy League) are fielding competitive athletic teams by only recruiting student-athletes that meet the same academic requirements as the general student body.
                      I stand corrected, they do make a few exceptions, and I think those are guidelines, however there have been many stories here about the tough standards for getting athletes eligible and they have lost a lot of recruits as they are not admitted. This was very public with the previous head football coach.

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...1ba86609c.html

Comment

Matt ZimmerVerified account @argusmattz Mar 27
                        Another name to add to the list of possible SDSU wrestling candidates: Ken Chertow. 3x All-American at Penn St., worked as an assistant at Penn St. and Ohio St. and last year started D2 program at Queens from scratch and had two national champs.

... and then quit after one year for "another coaching opportunity" that doesn't yet exist. I don't think this is a real possibility, but worries me none the less. I'd hate for SDSU wrestlers to have to compete against 1000 families on the Advocare Nutrition Team for their coach's attention.

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/co...198305504.html

Comment

Matt ZimmerVerified account @argusmattz Mar 27
                          Another name to add to the list of possible SDSU wrestling candidates: Ken Chertow. 3x All-American at Penn St., worked as an assistant at Penn St. and Ohio St. and last year started D2 program at Queens from scratch and had two national champs.

... and then quit after one year for "another coaching opportunity" that doesn't yet exist. I don't think this is a real possibility, but worries me none the less. I'd hate for SDSU wrestlers to have to compete against 1000 families on the Advocare Nutrition Team for their coach's attention.

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/co...198305504.html
                          Heard a nasty rumor that all the wrestling signees may be going witb Bono

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                            Obviously Reader would be top choice, but it sounds like is following Bono. It is imperative to get a known guy and get him in here quick to keep it rolling. Who are the candidates?
                            False rumor. We may lose 1 or 2, but I'm sure they have to meet the new coach before they are granted a release. Also, Wisconsin has most likely already divided out all their scholarship money for the coming year, so unless the recruits are going on their own dime, they will find it difficult to find available scholarship money (at any University).

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                              Heard a nasty rumor that all the wrestling signees may be going witb Bono
                              Getting to despise the buisness and lack of integrity part of college athletics as much as pro sports.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberValley View Post
                                False rumor. We may lose 1 or 2, but I'm sure they have to meet the new coach before they are granted a release. Also, Wisconsin has most likely already divided out all their scholarship money for the coming year, so unless the recruits are going on their own dime, they will find it difficult to find available scholarship money (at any University).

Which at Wisky is a hefty chunk of change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X