New head coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New head coach

Obviously Reader would be top choice, but it sounds like is following Bono. It is imperative to get a known guy and get him in here quick to keep it rolling. Who are the candidates?

Re: New head coach

It would be great to get Reader, but he might feel he isn't ready after only 4 seasons as an assistant. He also still seems to be interested in wrestling on the international level, which might not work as well with being a head coach as opposed to an assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
      Obviously Reader would be top choice, but it sounds like is following Bono. It is imperative to get a known guy and get him in here quick to keep it rolling. Who are the candidates?
      I wonder if Bono had any discussions or ideas on a good replacement should he ever leave SDSU with Justin. Being the type of guy he is, If he knew of a good replacement that's available, he'd relay that to Sell for his consideration.There must be a few that would fit here that are looking that he (Bono) would think would carry on his work.

Comment

Zim's article said Reader is going with Bono and that Bono did give input on potential successors.
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          Zim's article said Reader is going with Bono and that Bono did give input on potential successors.
          Hope it’s some real great candidates, would be an absolute shame to lose any of what Bono has built. I really feel we can’t replace him, at least not fully. Hopefully get a good coach who can keep the program going at its current level and capitalize on their momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

If we could get him, I like Jordan Burroughs. He won a Gold Medal in 2012 and is currently at Nebraska. He has a huge following of over 200k on Twitter.

Comment

Not surprising but such a bummer! I really wanted to believe that the support from the athletic dept, the buy-in from the community, competing in the big 12 and finishing 12th in the nation could raise SDSU Wrestling above the springboard life of a mid-major. That being said, let the search begin for SDSU's next future Big10 coach! Decision needs to be made quick so the new coach can get on the phone with the incoming class... and Brown. Scares me that he has a redshirt year available, makes the year off after a transfer easier to swallow. Some possibilities:

- Ben Askren - Finalist for the Wisconsin job and had it not been for Bono, he may have got the job. No idea if our position is appealing to him, may be looking at Michigan as well.

- Bryan Snyder - He's been a Nebraska Asst for 8 years so he can certainly recruit in the region. Flow says, "As respected as anyone in the NCAA wrestling community. In addition to a strong history of development in the middleweights, Snyder also brings a tremendous amount of international cache. Snyder was instrumental in the successes of James Green and Jordan Burroughs, and wrestlers with international aspirations will know they’re in good hands wrestling for him."

- Jarrod Garnett - Has been a NDSU assistant for 3 years. I don't know much about him but the guys over on Bisonville think he'll snag a head coaching position somewhere. Anyone know much about him?

- Alex Clemsen - Assistant at Mizzou for four years, was at Virginia before that. Has a ton of experience with successful programs, seems like he's due for a head coaching opportunity.

- Luke Becker - Minnesota Assistant. With Eggum just taking over, the wait at UM will probably be long. Would be great to continue our recruiting in Minnesota.

Thoughts?

Comment

If we can’t get Burroughs, which is a long shot because it sounds like he wants to compete through 2020, then my vote is for the man who trained him. Let’s hire Bryan Snyder.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverJack View Post
                  Not surprising but such a bummer! I really wanted to believe that the support from the athletic dept, the buy-in from the community, competing in the big 12 and finishing 12th in the nation could raise SDSU Wrestling above the springboard life of a mid-major. That being said, let the search begin for SDSU's next future Big10 coach! Decision needs to be made quick so the new coach can get on the phone with the incoming class... and Brown. Scares me that he has a redshirt year available, makes the year off after a transfer easier to swallow. Some possibilities:

- Ben Askren - Finalist for the Wisconsin job and had it not been for Bono, he may have got the job. No idea if our position is appealing to him, may be looking at Michigan as well.

- Bryan Snyder - He's been a Nebraska Asst for 8 years so he can certainly recruit in the region. Flow says, "As respected as anyone in the NCAA wrestling community. In addition to a strong history of development in the middleweights, Snyder also brings a tremendous amount of international cache. Snyder was instrumental in the successes of James Green and Jordan Burroughs, and wrestlers with international aspirations will know they’re in good hands wrestling for him."

- Jarrod Garnett - Has been a NDSU assistant for 3 years. I don't know much about him but the guys over on Bisonville think he'll snag a head coaching position somewhere. Anyone know much about him?

- Alex Clemsen - Assistant at Mizzou for four years, was at Virginia before that. Has a ton of experience with successful programs, seems like he's due for a head coaching opportunity.

- Luke Becker - Minnesota Assistant. With Eggum just taking over, the wait at UM will probably be long. Would be great to continue our recruiting in Minnesota.

Thoughts?
                  Great names. I think Askren is a long shot. He might be a bit too abrupt for Brookings. Also might be too hard to wrangle in his opinions. I personally think he single handedly changes college wrestling when he gets a job. This might be sac religious on this page, but he has a higher celiling than Bono.

The other name to consider is Damion Hahn from Cornell. national champ for the gophers, and has developed how many national champs at Cornell for the past 10 years. Guy is a stud. He could recruit MN with his connections there and could likely snag a few east coast guys. He was the other finalist for the Badgers.

Comment

Definitely agree on Hahn. If he has any interest, they'd better be interviewing him.

Comment

I agree with rabbits64 on Hahn. A couple other names that someone suggested to me were Casey Cunningham(Assoc HC at Penn St) and Sean Bormet(currently at Michigan). No matter who comes in the foundation has been laid for continued success.

Comment

Potential candidates article: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ate/457350002/

Comment

I can't believe that Hahn has been at Cornell that long. It seems like just a few years ago he was donning the maroon and gold.

I'd like Hahn for another reason, a local kid is getting seriously pursued by Cornell and I think he's a future All-American and a potential title contender. Phillip Moomey is a two time Nebraska state champion and still has a year of high school competition left. I know Reader was working on him to come to Brookings, but I know he was very interested in Cornell. Moomey had an impressive junior year wrestling, including repeating as a state champ and winning Fargo Nationals. His only loss was to one of Penn State's top recruits and Moomey should have beat him after leading 5-2 with 30 seconds to go in the match.

These are the type of recruits that Bono and Reader were finding to build the program. I think we need to find a candidate that can keep building that moment and find more wrestlers like Connor Brown. Getting another Seth Gross will be difficult to produce as that was a special circumstance. However, I can see l lower profiled wrestlers like Brown and Moomey competing for national championships with SDSU.

Comment

Snyder is also an intriguing candidate, extensive education and experience with working with champions.

Comment

This is a huge moment in the program. I hope we go with the audacious hire vice the safe one because to capitalize on the momentum and quality of the last several years, we need another large personality with the talent to back it up. I have faith in Sell and am very anxious to see who gets the nod.

Comment

Working...
                              X