• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New head coach

Damion Hahn's annual salary at SDSU is $160,000
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

• Re: New head coach

Has anyone mentioned how funny it will be when he first hears students sing "Far Across"? I know usd doesn't have wrestling, but he's bound to hear eventually.
      Rollin' in my 5.0
      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Looks like the assistant coach is being announced today

https://twitter.com/caldwell_cody/st...385407489?s=21

Comment

Cam Simaz, most recently associated with US Military Academy and Prep School

http://gojacks.com

Comment

• New head coach

He was the name most talked about as the potential assistant coach

Wrestled under Hahn at Cornell. 2012 197lb wrestling champ, 4x AA(3rd(2x), 7th), 4x EIWA Champ

Comment

Very pumped to get him on campus! His body of work at the USMAPS is very impressive. Welcome Cam!

Time to add the lightweight coach and #getjacked!

Comment

A very qualified hire, and having wrestled for Coach Hahn a perfect fit.

Comment

Chris Dardanes, lower weight coach, added to Jackrabbits staff

South Dakota State University wrestling coach Damion Hahn announced Monday the addition of Chris Dardanes (pronounced dar-DANES) to his inaugural coaching staff as a volunteer assistant.
                  “I am thrilled to add Chris to our staff,” Hahn said. “I am confident he will have an immediate impact on our program and will add tremendous value in recruiting and working with our light- and middle-weight student-athletes.”
                  A Chicago native, Dardanes earned All-America honors three times while wrestling collegiately at the University of Minnesota from 2012-15. He placed fourth at 133 pounds in both 2012 and 2015, while earning a sixth-place finish in 2013. Dardanes finished his collegiate career with 101 victories.
                  For the past two years, Dardanes and his twin brother, Nick, have been members of the Hawkeye Wrestling.
                  “I am thrilled and honored to begin my coaching career as part of the Jackrabbit wrestling staff,” Dardanes said. “I have to thank coach Hahn and the rest of the support system for putting their trust in me. I am excited to make big things happen in Brookings.”

https://theguillotine.com/2018/07/da...ff/#more-66746

http://www.gojacks.com/news/2018/7/2...ing-staff.aspx

Comment

I'm not well versed in how wrestling coaches are handled but I assume volunteer means unpaid?

Comment

I believe Chris will have ties to the Jacks as a coach but will add the primary function of running the Jackrabbit Wrestling Club(JWC) as well as some fundraising. Welcome to Brookings Chris, #stayjacked!
                      Last edited by Jackedforlife; 07-23-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                        I believe Chris will have ties to the Jacks as a coach but will add the primary function of running the Jackrabbit Wrestling Club(JWC) as well as dome fundraising. Welcome to Brookings Chris, #stayjacked!
                        And he will work for nothing? I find that a little hard to believe. With his background, he has to be paid somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          And he will work for nothing? I find that a little hard to believe. With his background, he has to be paid somehow.
                          I believe his compensation will come from the RTC, regional training center. That was the goal, that the 4th coach would be brought in to spearhead that endeavor.

Comment

I believe his compensation will come from the RTC, regional training center. That was the goal, that the 4th coach would be brought in to spearhead that endeavor.
                            Have to believe the new practice room is close to meeting its fundraising goal or somebody like Chris wouldn’t have come.?.

Comment

Regional training Center? Is that the new facility? I suppose I have not read every post on this board, but I dont have a clue of what you are speaking. I glad we have a staff of four coaches. Warren Williamson had himself and maybe a grad assistant. We have come a long ways since the 1960's.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Regional training Center? Is that the new facility? I suppose I have not read every post on this board, but I dont have a clue of what you are speaking. I glad we have a staff of four coaches. Warren Williamson had himself and maybe a grad assistant. We have come a long ways since the 1960's.
                                Regional Training Center (RTC) is essentially a USA Wrestling Santioned Training site. The site is currently our wrestling room on the East side of the Frost Arena. The new wrestling room when completed on the West side of Frost Arena will serve as the new RTC. USA Wrestling provides insurance for the site and for the USA Wrestling Wrestlers. A RTC is beneficial for a Division 1 program to allow the wrestlers train year round and the regions wrestlers whether youth or high school can also benefit from the training site. When you are allowed x amount of coaches in a University program, and RTC coach(es) (depends on how much money has been raised for the RTC program) can cross over and assist the NCAA University program, being that they are funded by the RTC.

"Essentially, the Regional Training Centers aren't directly tied to the university payroll. They have senior-level athletes and a coach that is separate from the university. They are paid by the RTC."

It has been shown that successful RTC program leads to successful NCAA program. Penn State is a good example.

The following are some good links that explore RTC's and the benefits.

A look at regional training centers and how they impact Cowboy wrestling
                                https://pistolsfiringblog.com/a-look...boy-wrestling/

RTC's Helping to grow the sport

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...grow-the-sport

Brandon Slay on Growing the PRTC and how RTCs are good for USA Wrestling

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/...15716&limit=60

College Wrestling's Hidden Arms Race

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...dden-arms-race

Comment

Working...
                                X