• Bono to Wisconsin

Looks like Bono is headed to the Big 10

http://www.gojacks.com/news/2018/3/2...wisconsin.aspx
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Re: Bono to Wisconsin

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
    Looks like Bono is headed to the Big 10

http://www.gojacks.com/news/2018/3/2...wisconsin.aspx
    He leaves the program in better shape then what he found here six years ago. Anyone for an argument? I think we will find a very capable replacement. Justin Sell deserves an A PLUS for hiring Bono.

Comment

Going from, almost losing the program to now is an amazing turn around by Bono and staff. I just hope we get someone who can keep the current commits coming, and keep up the intensity of the program.

Comment

https://www.wiwrestling.com/bono-on-...new-beginning/

Part one of an interview of Bono...I think we may be able to see what may happen when he states that 125 is a need. Also, while I hope we someday get to the point of garnering 6,000 fans for dual meets we may be a couple of years off. I think averaging over 2k this year was impressive.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/c...494841e65.html

It'll also be interesting to see what the coaching budget for wrestling is. Davis was only pulling in shy of $108K. I'm thinking the HC must be above 200k now, we will see, I guess in May sometime when they must be released.

sidenote...Joe K pulling in $200K(good for him), and the D side in FB totaling $1.365 mil., crazy.
        Last edited by Jackedforlife; 03-28-2018, 05:50 AM. Reason: salaries

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          https://www.wiwrestling.com/bono-on-...new-beginning/

Part one of an interview of Bono...I think we may be able to see what may happen when he states that 125 is a need. Also, while I hope we someday get to the point of garnering 6,000 fans for dual meets we may be a couple of years off. I think averaging over 2k this year was impressive.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/c...494841e65.html

It'll also be interesting to see what the coaching budget for wrestling is. Davis was only pulling in shy of $108K. I'm thinking the HC must be above 200k now, we will see, I guess in May sometime when they must be released.

sidenote...Joe K pulling in $200K(good for him), and the D side in FB totaling $1.365 mil., crazy.
          I would guess that Bono's salary would be around $200K, too. He made $130K at SDSU and you would think he would want more than $40K more to leave SDSU since he was building something special.

I think job jumping is the way to go for coaches.
          TJ is making, what, $75K more then what Nagy was making.
          Smith (USD) is about tripling his salary.
          I'm sure Bono made $40K (just a guess) more then what Liles made when he was at SDSU. Plus, now SDSU has 3 coaches on staff not just one.
          If Stig ever decides to leave SDSU, I'm sure the new football coach will maker about $100K more than what he makes, too.
          What type of pay raise did AJ get when he was debating on leaving?

I could be wrong on some of this so you can correct me if I am way off but you get the point.
          It will be interesting to see what the starting salary for the next wrestling coach will be.
          Last edited by 91jack; 03-28-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            I would guess that Bono's salary would be around $200K, too. He made $130K at SDSU and you would think he would want more than $40K more to leave SDSU since he was building something special.

I think job jumping is the way to go for coaches.
            TJ is making, what, $75K more then what Nagy was making.
            Smith (USD) is about tripling his salary.
            I'm sure Bono made $40K (just a guess) more then what Liles made when he was at SDSU. Plus, now SDSU has 3 coaches on staff not just one.
            If Stig ever decides to leave SDSU, I'm sure the new football coach will maker about $100K more than what he makes, too.
            What type of pay raise did AJ get when he was debating on leaving?

I could be wrong on some of this so you can correct me if I am way off but you get the point.
            It will be interesting to see what the starting salary for the next wrestling coach will be.
            I was thinking AJ got bumped $50k when he decided to stay vs going to GB.

Bono will more than likely be at that $200k range. I'd think our next coach will be in the same range as what Bono was when he left, $120-$130k. I hope that whoever comes in seriously gives Cody Caldwell a chance, great coach, human and he's got the pulse of the team.

I'd venture to say the next FB coach will be in the $400k range.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              I was thinking AJ got bumped $50k when he decided to stay vs going to GB.

Bono will more than likely be at that $200k range. I'd think our next coach will be in the same range as what Bono was when he left, $120-$130k. I hope that whoever comes in seriously gives Cody Caldwell a chance, great coach, human and he's got the pulse of the team.

I'd venture to say the next FB coach will be in the $400k range.
              Two things: If you go to gojacks.com, his name is the only one still listed for Coaching Staff. Also, I saw him at Hy-Vee today decked out from head to toe in Jackrabbit gear. It appears to me he definitely wants to stick around here after only a year on staff. I feel like whoever comes in will probably keep him to have some carry-over and familiarity for the team.
              Rollin' in my 5.0
              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                Two things: If you go to gojacks.com, his name is the only one still listed for Coaching Staff. Also, I saw him at Hy-Vee today decked out from head to toe in Jackrabbit gear. It appears to me he definitely wants to stick around here after only a year on staff. I feel like whoever comes in will probably keep him to have some carry-over and familiarity for the team.
                There is no doubt he wants to stay, provided on who Sell brings in. Cody really likes Brookings and SDSU and I think the team really likes him. He has had a lot thrown on his plate in a very short time and while it may be daunting he is meeting the challenge head on. With the WVU job opening up I hope Sell is close to finalizing this, I still think SDSU is about the most attractive coaching job out there. Already established but still soooo far to go.

Comment

Some insight of when Bono was approached by Wisconsin.

https://iawrestle.com/2018/04/02/the...-set-to-begin/

Comment

Originally posted by AmberValley View Post
                    Some insight of when Bono was approached by Wisconsin.

https://iawrestle.com/2018/04/02/the...-set-to-begin/

Is it odd that a school contacts a prospective coach while that coach is still involved in their conference and national tournament ? Or is wrestling different ? It seems to me that a coach's concentration could be affected when being recruited while his season is still going on.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Is it odd that a school contacts a prospective coach while that coach is still involved in their conference and national tournament ? Or is wrestling different ? It seems to me that a coach's concentration could be affected when being recruited while his season is still going on.
                      It happens in every sport.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        It happens in every sport.
                        In basketball and football, don't schools usually contact a coach's agent rather than the coach directly if their season is still going on ?

Comment

Connor Brown is following Bono to Wisconsin per twitter

Comment

Originally posted by jacked_up_rabbit View Post
                            Connor Brown is following Bono to Wisconsin per twitter
                            Best of luck to him in the B1G. 5 of the top 6 national place-winners at 125 were from that conference. And Brown lost in the first round to a Purdue wrestler who wasn't included in those 5.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Best of luck to him in the B1G. 5 of the top 6 national place-winners at 125 were from that conference. And Brown lost in the first round to a Purdue wrestler who wasn't included in those 5.
                              Good luck to him, stinks to see him go but this wasn't unexpected, we will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X