Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-19 lineup

Hey guys,
    After a great year, I'm already excited for next season. I don't know a lot about the guys who haven't started before but here are my initial thoughts:

125 - Brown
    133 - Gross
    141 - Pohlmeyer
    149 - Carlson - Maybe Peyton Smith challenges for the spot?
    157 - Peterson? - He started at 157 last year, seems like he'll probably drop back down with Zilverberg gone. Should be able to compete much better at that weight.
    165 - Shelton/Jordan
    174 - Vaoifi/Jordan
    184 - Grove/Mueller
    197 - Mueller/? - Not sure how hard it was for Mueller to make 84 but he is a big guy so 97 might be a decent fit for him.
    HWT - Wolters

Entering the mix:

Alex Lloyd - 149/157 - Won his third title at 152 this year. Went 0-2 at 149 in the Dak but took his first match into OT and lost to Peyton Smith by 4-3 in the wrestlebacks. Could likely compete right away but think it would be good for him to redshirt and build confidence in the opens.

Peyton Robb - 157/165 - Won his third title at 160 this year. Lost to Lloyd in the finals last year. Same situation as Lloyd, could probably compete right away but could learn a lot with a redshirt season.

Kenny O'Neil - 165/174/184 - Champ at 160 as a junior, 3rd at 170 as a senior. I don't know a lot about him but with 65 - 97 being up in the air he seems like he could be an option at the heavier end of that range.

Zach Price - 133/141 - Had 3 third place finishes and a 4th for Johnston, IA which is also where Pohlmeyer is from. Will definitely redshirt behind Gross and Pohlmeyer. Should progress quickly rolling around with those guys every day.

Key Exits:
    Brett Bye - Anybody know what happened? I haven't heard of him going anywhere else. It would have been good to have him and Klapprodt in the mix letting Lloyd/Robb/O'Neil redshirt behind them.

Kasey Klapprodt - Same as Bye, disappointing that he didn't come back.

Michael Prieto - Seemed to be competing well. He majored Peyton Smith early this year. Could have been in the mix at 149.

Kevin Vough - He beat Wolters a few times this year, seemed to be our most skilled option at HWT next year.

I'm probably way off on some of these but wanted to get the conversation started. Let me know what everyone thinks!

Re: 2018-19 lineup

Brett Bye decided to leave and train at Legends of Gold (Greco route?)
    Kasey Klapprodt left due to injuries.

Comment

There had been some talk about Gross moving up to 141 which would/could push Pohlmeyer up. If Gross moved up Rylee Molitor, who had a successful Open season, move into 133 spot.
      I believe some of the talk about Gross moving up was he wanted to prepare for that weight class for future International competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        There had been some talk about Gross moving up to 141 which would/could push Pohlmeyer up. If Gross moved up Rylee Molitor, who had a successful Open season, move into 133 spot.
        I believe some of the talk about Gross moving up was he wanted to prepare for that weight class for future International competitions.
        I heard an interview (Flowrestling, I think) in which Gross was asked about that very situation and confirmed that a move up was likely.

Comment

Can't forget about the most recent commit, Tanner Sloan. He is a 2 time state champ from Alburnett IA. Many think he projects at 197. Pretty dynamic group coming in with the freshman class. I think both Robb and Lloyd stand a chance to challenge right away. Bono has shown with Brown he isn't afraid to put a true freshman out there.

I could see Lloyd making waves at 149 and Robb up at 165 with Peterson moving back to 157. Ultimately the younger class should prove to be great training partners and push the starters.

I'll be interesting to see if Martin makes the move up. He definitely has the frame to pack on 10-13 pounds of muscle.

Seth moving up wouldn't be a surprise because I know his ultimate goal is an Olympic Gold.

The big question is at HWT, Aarsvold & Wolters I'm sure are great team guys...just not sure they're going to ever be better than .500 wrestlers. It'd be nice to get a guy that could be top 3 in the big XII and make nationals. I think we've got guys poised in the other spots.

Comment

With Eastern Michigan cutting their wrestling program, I hope Bono looks at their team and 2018 recruits and trys to get a few to fill some holes.

Would have most likely been their starting lineup next year
            125. Brandon Fenton (recruit)
            133. Noah Gonzer 14-11 (sophomore)
            141. Sa'Darian Perry 17-18 (sophomore) 8th at NCAAs
            149. Tanner Smith 19-0 (redshirt)
            157. Mason Kaufman 12-8 (redshirt)
            165. Zac Carlson 21-13 (sophomore) 0-2 at NCAAs
            174/184. Brandon Moen 7-7 (redshirt)
            184. Kayne MacCallum 18-15 (junior) 1-2 at NCAAs
            197. Derek Hillman 10-9 (junior)
            285. Austin Emerson (recruit) ranked #12 HWT in nation as a senior
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
              With Eastern Michigan cutting their wrestling program, I hope Bono looks at their team and 2018 recruits and trys to get a few to fill some holes.
              Over on Bisonville they are saying Eastern Michigan has a HWT recruit that is highly ranked that SDSU may look at.

Also something we will have to deal with, with the success Bono is having, Wisconsin has a Head Coach opening (head coach retired) and Bono may be a target.
              https://www.flowrestling.org/article...-wisconsin-job

Comment

Bono to WI is a possibility as would be any MI rumors that might get floated out there. I don't think Bono goes anywhere for now. He is on the verge of being a top 10 national program and the facility upgrades are right around the corner, along with the JWC. He and the other coaches realize how great the culture they've cultivated is...but again, money talks. I'm guessing Chris is poised to have another nice pay bump as well.

I'm sure they've already evaluated any recruit and athlete potential from the EMU travesty. They won out (or so they thought) last year with the Boise St debacle with Vough. It didn't pan out like anyone had hoped though.

Comment

Previous WI wrestling coach was making $107,000. Bono was at $130,000. I am assuming WI will increase the salary for their next coach in order to attract a great coach.

Bono should see a nice bump as well. Reserved season tickets are almost all sold out for next season already.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                    They won out (or so they thought) last year with the Boise St debacle with Vough. It didn't pan out like anyone had hoped though.
                    I'm remembering this story now...what happened here?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      Previous WI wrestling coach was making $107,000. Bono was at $130,000. I am assuming WI will increase the salary for their next coach in order to attract a great coach.

Bono should see a nice bump as well. Reserved season tickets are almost all sold out for next season already.
                      If I was Bono I would want that 107K doubled to go coach in the same conference as Penn State, Ohio State and Iowa. And a second tier of Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                        I'm remembering this story now...what happened here?
                        The basic answer on Vough is he quit at semester break. So in theory last spring the Jacks won by being able to bring him in.

Comment

Any South Dakota wrestlers on the radar besides Hutmacher in the next couple of years?

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                            Any South Dakota wrestlers on the radar besides Hutmacher in the next couple of years?
                            I thought he was a wrestling guy. But someone told me he's going to do football at the next level. I heard from that same source that he's dangerously close too being to huge to wrestle (and we know he's a beast in the weight room) perhaps someone else here could weigh-in(lol) cus I got the impression that he was a wrestling first kind of kid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              I thought he was a wrestling guy. But someone told me he's going to do football at the next level. I heard from that same source that he's dangerously close too being to huge to wrestle (and we know he's a beast in the weight room) perhaps someone else here could weigh-in(lol) cus I got the impression that he was a wrestling first kind of kid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
                              I guess I just assumed he was going to wrestle in college. I have no insight one way or the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X