Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Ball 2018

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Eh, they're a pretty big part of an offense at all levels of football these days. The threat of running them and using the misdirection it causes is usually a bigger deal than actually running them. It's all about keeping a defense guessing.
    Also we probably have more players with the speed to actually pull it off. Like Cade can.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
      I think by "under center' he meant he was back as the starting Quarterback
      Yes, you are correct. Thanks for clarifying!

Comment

I think we'll see less designated deep throws ... seems like we had 1 or 2 a half of every game designated for Jake or Dallas.

Also... probably gone are the TE shovel pass, and many of the "specialty" plays we ran for Dallas... unless Cavanaugh really surprises. He's good. But he's not at that level, yet.

And they probably won't run many "fades" to the corner of the end zone.

I concur with the idea that we'll see more RPO type plays. I see more FB playing time, and more runs...and throws off play action.

It'll be the "same" offense...but it'll probably look different as they will be emphasizing different things. I suspect we'll still see quite a bit of the quick bubble screens...and the swing passes to the running backs.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
          I think we'll see less designated deep throws ... seems like we had 1 or 2 a half of every game designated for Jake or Dallas.

Also... probably gone are the TE shovel pass, and many of the "specialty" plays we ran for Dallas... unless Cavanaugh really surprises. He's good. But he's not at that level, yet.

And they probably won't run many "fades" to the corner of the end zone.

I concur with the idea that we'll see more RPO type plays. I see more FB playing time, and more runs...and throws off play action.

It'll be the "same" offense...but it'll probably look different as they will be emphasizing different things. I suspect we'll still see quite a bit of the quick bubble screens...and the swing passes to the running backs.
          This would make sense to me. Still a pass first team likely but not the quick strike offense we’ve been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I would just love to see different running back formations. split back or something like we use to run. seemed when we had Koenig and Minnett and others we have a more diverse run formations we used and felt like it was effective since those different formations had several different plays that were effective from it. I just don't want to see us use a fullback, shift the tight end to the blocking side like we use too. Unless you have ZZ who will just run past everything I think our current running back group has a lot too offer and would like to see them get different looks and run inside and out.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

The offensive scheme isn’t changing but play calling will change due to loss of players. RPO and a “spread” offense is still the scheme. I see more run plays and look for CJ Wilson to have a big year along with consistent play of Danels and Wallace. I don’t see TC being a better passer this year or correcting the high, behind, in the ground passes in the past years. The schedule is challenging out of the gate and confidence is very important after the final game last year. Please put a qb coach on the field this year to talk face to face with TC because he needs it after watching no coach on the field for him in the past to settle him down if playing poorly (look at last game).

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                I was hoping to see more of the Wildcat/Flash package this year.
                Maryland I or bust.

If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

It’s getting real tired of seeing our fans talk about TC like he’s a scrub who is barely good enough to start. Apparently he’s never made a good throw in his life an was bailed out on every pass by our receivers.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    I would just love to see different running back formations. split back or something like we use to run. seemed when we had Koenig and Minnett and others we have a more diverse run formations we used and felt like it was effective since those different formations had several different plays that were effective from it. I just don't want to see us use a fullback, shift the tight end to the blocking side like we use too. Unless you have ZZ who will just run past everything I think our current running back group has a lot too offer and would like to see them get different looks and run inside and out.
                    Maybe im wrong but I thought Koenig and Minnett ran mostly out of shotgun and the line zone blocked. I don’t remember a ton of formations. They’d just cut and go.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      Maybe im wrong but I thought Koenig and Minnett ran mostly out of shotgun and the line zone blocked. I don’t remember a ton of formations. They’d just cut and go.
                      who was the O coordinator then? the guy with colo state connections? drawing a blank on his name. His run sets were the ones I am thinking of. I felt we did some power and split back formations along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        who was the O coordinator then? the guy with colo state connections? drawing a blank on his name. His run sets were the ones I am thinking of. I felt we did some power and split back formations along the way.
                        Daren Wilkinson. https://issuu.com/jackrabbitathletic...dia_guide_2007

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          It’s getting real tired of seeing our fans talk about TC like he’s a scrub who is barely good enough to start. Apparently he’s never made a good throw in his life an was bailed out on every pass by our receivers.

I'm with you on this one!

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            that's the ticket.

Comment

I'm thinking we'll all be good with the jet sweep option the first time Campbell, Cade, Lewis or Hill take it to the house....there's a lot of speed on that field next year. Corner fades may not be as plentiful but I'd think Orr, Cavanaugh, Wandmaker and Devlin might catch a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                                The offensive scheme isn’t changing but play calling will change due to loss of players. RPO and a “spread” offense is still the scheme. I see more run plays and look for CJ Wilson to have a big year along with consistent play of Danels and Wallace. .
                                Pierre Strong is going to be tough to keep off the field too. Unfortunately there are only so many carries to go around. Wallace was so effective the last half of the season and Mikey is such a hard runner. Wilson has been better than anyone thought so its really a four horse race. Unfortunately Mulholland and Roths look like the odd men out. However, as NDSU experienced last year, you can never have too many good running backs. As others have mentioned the speed receivers will be getting their carries too on jet sweeps and shovel pass type of plays.
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                                X