• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Ball 2018

D line will definitely have a microscope on them the way the season ended
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Defense relies on LBs to make plays to be successful. What D line player will need a double team like Soulek needed last year? No one! LB play will struggle if opponent Oline can single block the two DTs. What safety will make the big tackle in the hole like Balster did last year? The safety position needs a physical hitter this year to make plays on D. The DE position must be better like others say or the D Will struggle getting off the field Most MVFC teams have a veteran quarterback coming back so pressure is a must. Why does the defense struggle with a defensive minded HC? Does the scheme need to changed his year?

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
        Defense relies on LBs to make plays to be successful. What D line player will need a double team like Soulek needed last year? No one! LB play will struggle if opponent Oline can single block the two DTs. What safety will make the big tackle in the hole like Balster did last year? The safety position needs a physical hitter this year to make plays on D. The DE position must be better like others say or the D Will struggle getting off the field Most MVFC teams have a veteran quarterback coming back so pressure is a must. Why does the defense struggle with a defensive minded HC? Does the scheme need to changed his year?
        Yes, but I doubt it will
        Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

So, Alec Cromer is a punter now...? This leaves Nelson, Bullock, and Roberts as QBs for spring ball. I assume our long term QB plan would involve having a competition between Nelson and Gibbs after TC is gone? I assume Gibbs will redshirt this year.

http://gojacks.com/news/2018/3/26/fo...rterbacks.aspx

Comment

They finally posted the 2017 season highlights, it's a good reminder of how much speed we are going to have at WR this year... https://vimeo.com/261024333

Last edited by BigGoosie13; 04-10-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Zimmer back to covering that spring ball.
              https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ner/492987002/
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Anybody have any guesses as to what the offense is going to look like compared to the past two years? The articles in the Argus keep eluding to a "new look", etc. Obviously, personnel changes will change the offense and play calling, but I wonder how noticeable the changes really will be from a fan's perspective. I'd wager to say that we will see fewer deep routes, more play action, fewer called passes, and more RPOs. I think we've got a really athletic and capable receiving group, but our deep threat will be diminished some. That being the case, I guess I'd expect a lot more passes in the 7-15 yard range off of quick play action or RPOs. I also expect more downhill running, and if TC ends up having a capable backup, we might see him run the ball more this year.

Those are my thoughts. Anyone have any other info or perpesctive from practice? I'd be curious how much we will notice the difference on offense.

2012-2014 we were a power run team
                2015 we were very much a vertical pass team without much ground presence
                2016-2017 we were pass heavy, but it was balanced and creative, with more RPOs, screens, etc, and an option run game component

My guess is that 2018 will be a blend of 2016-17 and the 2012-14 identities.

In some ways, that could look a little like the 2008-10 teams with good power running and a lot of bubble screens, short passes, etc. Albeit, I'd expect us to be in shotgun this year much more than those teams ever were.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                  Anybody have any guesses as to what the offense is going to look like compared to the past two years? The articles in the Argus keep eluding to a "new look", etc. Obviously, personnel changes will change the offense and play calling, but I wonder how noticeable the changes really will be from a fan's perspective. I'd wager to say that we will see fewer deep routes, more play action, fewer called passes, and more RPOs. I think we've got a really athletic and capable receiving group, but our deep threat will be diminished some. That being the case, I guess I'd expect a lot more passes in the 7-15 yard range off of quick play action or RPOs. I also expect more downhill running, and if TC ends up having a capable backup, we might see him run the ball more this year.

Those are my thoughts. Anyone have any other info or perpesctive from practice? I'd be curious how much we will notice the difference on offense.

2012-2014 we were a power run team
                  2015 we were very much a vertical pass team without much ground presence
                  2016-2017 we were pass heavy, but it was balanced and creative, with more RPOs, screens, etc, and an option run game component

My guess is that 2018 will be a blend of 2016-17 and the 2012-14 identities.

In some ways, that could look a little like the 2008-10 teams with good power running and a lot of bubble screens, short passes, etc. Albeit, I'd expect us to be in shotgun this year much more than those teams ever were.
                  Zimmer's most recent article HERE says that TC will be under center. Doesn't say how much but there must be enough of it in practice to mention it.

Comment

I think by "under center' he meant he was back as the starting Quarterback

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    Zimmer's most recent article HERE says that TC will be under center. Doesn't say how much but there must be enough of it in practice to mention it.

Comment

Did Stig say mORE jet sweeps in that article?? He still drinking??
                      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        I was hoping that was to make other teams think we are going to and say its a big part of our playbooks so they prepare for it and defend it but we don't use it then.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          I was hoping that was to make other teams think we are going to and say its a big part of our playbooks so they prepare for it and defend it but we don't use it then.
                          I hope you’re right.
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I was hoping to see more of the Wildcat/Flash package this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                              I was hoping to see more of the Wildcat/Flash package this year.
                              👀
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Eh, they're a pretty big part of an offense at all levels of football these days. The threat of running them and using the misdirection it causes is usually a bigger deal than actually running them. It's all about keeping a defense guessing.

Comment

Working...
                                X