Spring Ball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Ball 2018

Anyone go? Figured would be a little discussion on it by now.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vhcEN_scj4

Comment

I didn't go, but checked out the highlights. A few new names that I'm excited about from that small sample size: CJ Wilson looked very very quick out of the backfield (I assume he'll redshirt?), Pierre Strong looked smooth out of the backfield as well, Deyon Campbell looked fast when running after the catch.

Jordan Brown had a great grab. I expect him and Cade Johnson to produce a lot this year, along with contributions from Wilde and Lewis. It seems like we're stacked at WR with those 4 plus Anderson, Devlin, Campbell, and a bunch more redshirt freshman. We also seem to be stacked at RB with Wallace, Daniel, and now Strong, Wilson, and even Mulholland. This definitely won't be the most star studded team, but it could be one of the deepest teams we've had in a while. Thank you Dykhouse Stadium recruiting effect.

I am excited to see Taryn get to read the field and just distribute the ball to whoever is open. I feel like he had a lot of pressure in getting the ball to Jake and Dallas last year. I think he will thrive being able to just make reads and go with what the defense gives him.

Speaking of the defense, I expect a huge year from Logan Backhaus at LB alongside Rozeboom (can't believe we get to watch him for two more years still), Wilson, and Cox.

Now I wish I would have gone... So pumped for football. Is it September yet?

Comment

Stig said on the radio that Jimmy Rogers said CJ Wilson is the best RB he's ever seen. That's some really high praise. Not sure how they redshirt the kid, but the skill positions are pretty deep.

Replacing Ohnesorge will be difficult.

Nearly 4 months until kickoff.

Comment

Here is my take on the spring game.

Offense- We have some tremendous speed at the skill positions. QB looks like Nelson is the backup so far since he was the only other QB with the 1st team. WR-Where getting seperation and showing off their speed( Brown, Lewis,Johnson and Campbell). I think we still need Wilde or Orr or someone else to step up into that tall jump ball red zone threat. I didnt see Adam Anderson play. RB- Wallace didn’t get many carries, Daniel is a beast, Strong and Wilson are fast, give them a hole and they can hit a homerun. TE- didn’t see many catches mainly Cavanaugh and Hart saw reps. OL-??? a few guys sat out so a lot of shuffling was going on, struggled at times missed some blitz’s but open holes for RBs. The Offense has a lot of motion and fakes and play action. Eye opener on the O was Wilson(speed) and Brown( could be TCs favorite option). Need to sure up the OL.

Defense - man there was a lot of rotating,we are deep in many positions. DL looked pretty good they where in the QBs face all night. Definitely see the youth stepping up. DT Hildahl, Ward,and Krowlikowski saw 1st team snaps Barrett didn’t play. DE- Earith, Wilson, Smenda and Ogunrinde saw 1st team action. Might be some change in scheme as the De weren’t 3 yds off the ball. LB- No Rozeboom or Urbanek, quite a few blitz’s. Same rotation as last yr. Safety- I don’t think Romanesko played. A lot of rotation, a few new guys seeing 1st team reps where Manchigiah and Berg. CB- looks like Gardner was mainly opposite Brown. Mcgary and Harris where getting reps also. Eye opener was DBs where letting guys get open, and the Dline was in the QBs face often.

Kinda my 2 cents, I know I missed a few things. Seemed to me quite a few guys did not play. Hopefully no major injuries that will cause missed games. I’m sure west side will fill us in.
            Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Nelson did not seem to show good judgement in some of his passes. I did not see the game so maybe premature in judgement.

Comment

If you didn’t see the game how can you make that judgment?

Comment

Game was on Midco Sports2. Noah Urbanek has retired from football due to the number of concussions he has had.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    Game was on Midco Sports2. Noah Urbanek has retired from football due to the number of concussions he has had.
                    This is unfortunate and happens way to often. Wish Noah the best going forward!

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                      This is unfortunate and happens way to often. Wish Noah the best going forward!
                      A real tough loss. One of the more heralded linebackers coming in last year.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        Wow that’s definitely a big loss in the future

Comment

This picture of the full stands at the sjac for the spring game is awesome. Obviously there's not a whole lot of seating capacity in there, but I went a couple years ago and it was only about a quarter full. I believe that was on a Saturday too. Evidence that our fan base and interest in the program is growing.

https://twitter.com/gojacksfb/status...016301068?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                            If you didn’t see the game how can you make that judgment?
                            My judgement was based on highlights clips which Nelson threw at least three interceptions. Where they Nelson’s miscue? I leave that up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              My judgement was based on highlights clips which Nelson threw at least three interceptions. Where they Nelson’s miscue? I leave that up to you.
                              Well you need to watch the highlight again because he only threw one pick. In the highlight Bullock and Roberts each threw a pick.

Comment

My assumption after watching the backup QBs yesterday is that J'bore Gibbs will be the #2 QB coming out of fall camp. None of the others were that bad, but they didn't look that great either. Gibbs looks to be a phenomenal athlete, and if he can grasp the playbook early on in camp, I think he'll be the next man up.

Unrelated to the QBs, it is definitely apparent we have a lot of speed at WR. But it was a parent just how much different our size on the edge appears when 86 and 19 aren't out there. If we could develop a good, tall WR that can perimeter block, I'd feel a little better about replacing our losses. We lost some big dudes, not even mentioning their talent. I didn't see anyone yesterday who looked like they'd be reliable in a jump ball scenario or fade route.

With the speed we have on the edge, and all the other returning talent on O, I wonder if we see a little more spread option looks this year to get the fast slots involved in the run game?

Thought the D looked pretty solid, and that a big part of the lopsided score was due to the second team (blue) D stepping up against the second team O. I think we're pretty deep on that side of the ball, and our d line appeared about as big/strong/quick as I've seen it in a while. I was pleasantly surprised.
                                Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 04-21-2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X