Spring Ball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spring Ball 2018

I wouldn't expect Gibbs to have his shirt burned for mop up duty either. I think if the Jacks find themselves in a situation of being without TC though, my money would be on Gibbs. I bet that he travels and suits up, but doesn't have his shirt burned unless Taryn goes down. If its mop up duty, I'd imagine it'd be one of the other QBs going in ahead of Gibbs.

This may be putting the cart way before the horse, amd i dont eant to put too much pressure on the kid before he gets to campus,but he's a really dynamic player, and I would be very surprised if he isn't the starter in 2019. That being the case, it would make sense to me if he's groomed to be Taryn 's replacement, and will be an emergency shirt burn this season if needed. He can still travel and suit up without losing his redshirt status too.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
      Nevermind the fact that we’re arguing about a guy who hasn’t set foot on a college practice field, much less proven to be better than what we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Fair enough.

Comment

Did we come out of spring ball healthy? I know early on we had some key players not participating because of injuries. Any others?

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          Did we come out of spring ball healthy? I know early on we had some key players not participating because of injuries. Any others?
          I can't speak for a lot of the upperclassmen but I personally know a lot of the freshman and I don't think there were any serious injuries among them.
          The JACKEDRABBITS aren't that cute.. we can be mean too!

Comment

Inside the Hashes interview with Taryn Christion:
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Nice video interview of Deyon Campbell. Really excited to see this kid get on the field this year. Seems like he has a really good head on his shoulders.

https://twitter.com/GoJacksFB/status/999299104848007168

Comment

I'm curious how they will utilize Deyon? He's built like a Barry Sanders, and while he was recruited more as an athlete, he came in as a running back. Now we have him listed as a WR on the roster. He won't likely be favored to win jump balls like a Wieneke, Wilde, or Wandmaker. We've had some success with wide receivers under 6', but that roll already has the makes of Jacob Brown, Marquise Lewis, and Cade Johnson.

It would be fun to hide him in the slot or bring him in motion behind the linemen. He'd be hard to find and I could see him with a high YAC with his speed and elusiveness. I just always envisioned him as a RB or corner, but that's why I'm typing on a fan board instead of coaching.

Comment

I'm curious how they will utilize Deyon? He's built like a Barry Sanders, and while he was recruited more as an athlete, he came in as a running back. Now we have him listed as a WR on the roster. He won't likely be favored to win jump balls like a Wieneke, Wilde, or Wandmaker. We've had some success with wide receivers under 6', but that roll already has the makes of Jacob Brown, Marquise Lewis, and Cade Johnson.

It would be fun to hide him in the slot or bring him in motion behind the linemen. He'd be hard to find and I could see him with a high YAC with his speed and elusiveness. I just always envisioned him as a RB or corner, but that's why I'm typing on a fan board instead of coaching.
                  I think he'll be a RB/WR mix. You see it a lot in the NFL now, they use guys like that on jet sweeps, quick passes, etc.. He has the potential to make a huge impact.

Comment

Paddy Devlin is transferring to SMSU.

Comment

Anybody else a little bit worried where the receptions production is going to come from? I understand that this happens in college sports and the coaches have been able to make adjustments, for example when Zenner graduated our offense had more focus on passing.

With the graduation of Goedert and Wieneke, we are losing 137 receptions (52%) and 2,076 yards (57%). It's also interesting to note that their production was down from 2016, but their production was still exceptional in 2017. Mengarelli was 6th in receptions last year, but I think our stable of running backs will fill that void. The big concern I have is that our next three leading receivers from las year are smaller targets. We've had the luxury of having some outstanding big targets for four years. Christion has been successful with throwing up balls and you could be confident that Wieneke/Goedert would win those battles.

I had hopes that Devlin could emerge as that type of threat with his 6'6" frame. Now, our receiving corps features three excellent WRs that are all under 6' tall. (Jacob Brown - 5'11", Cade Johnson - 5'10", Marquise Lewis - 5'11"). Alex Wilde has done a fine job with his 6'3" frame, but I don't classify him as a difference maker. At 6'1", Adam Anderson has decent size, but his production went down last year from his 20 receptions in 2016.

Whose going to be the difference maker this year? Deyon Campbell or one of the other young receivers? Skyler Cavanaugh, Kallan Hart or Arthur Egan at TE? Keenan Orr has the 6'5" frame and was a two-time scout player of the week last year, does he break out?

Comment

Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
                        According to Gojacks.com, Paddy was Jake Wienke’s understudy. Why would he transfer?

Comment

Anybody else a little bit worried where the receptions production is going to come from? I understand that this happens in college sports and the coaches have been able to make adjustments, for example when Zenner graduated our offense had more focus on passing.

With the graduation of Goedert and Wieneke, we are losing 137 receptions (52%) and 2,076 yards (57%). It's also interesting to note that their production was down from 2016, but their production was still exceptional in 2017. Mengarelli was 6th in receptions last year, but I think our stable of running backs will fill that void. The big concern I have is that our next three leading receivers from las year are smaller targets. We've had the luxury of having some outstanding big targets for four years. Christion has been successful with throwing up balls and you could be confident that Wieneke/Goedert would win those battles.

I had hopes that Devlin could emerge as that type of threat with his 6'6" frame. Now, our receiving corps features three excellent WRs that are all under 6' tall. (Jacob Brown - 5'11", Cade Johnson - 5'10", Marquise Lewis - 5'11"). Alex Wilde has done a fine job with his 6'3" frame, but I don't classify him as a difference maker. At 6'1", Adam Anderson has decent size, but his production went down last year from his 20 receptions in 2016.

Whose going to be the difference maker this year? Deyon Campbell or one of the other young receivers? Skyler Cavanaugh, Kallan Hart or Arthur Egan at TE? Keenan Orr has the 6'5" frame and was a two-time scout player of the week last year, does he break out?
                          Not sure why Devlin is transferring, but maybe didn't feel he was better than other receivers.

Comment

Keenan Orr (6'5" 210 lbs) was a player I was high on in the 2017 class and he won scout player of the week a couple times last year as a red shirt. Maybe he is ready to emerge as our big target on the outside? He is wearing Wieneke's NFL camp number (9), so that's a good omen.

As a whole, I'm not really worried about the receiving corp. Eidsness does a good job of designing an offense around the ability of his players, and there is still a ton of ability in the receiving dept even if there isn't as much size as the past.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

As always, I think our offensive skill positions will be good. Everything will come down to the lines, especially the defensive line.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
                                You’ll see more of these announcements in the next couple of weeks. Remember, they had to cut to get to 105. Paddy is a fun kid but struggled to put it all together. Certainly we’ll liked by his teammates but just didn’t develop.

I’m not worried about WR production. Anderson, Brown, Wilde, and Orr will be just fine on the outside. Lewis, Johnson, and Campbell will draw plenty of attention from the slot.
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                                X