Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Ball 2018

Default Re: Spring Ball 2018

Quote Originally Posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Is it just me or are is there far less coverage this spring from the local media compared to last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The absence of Goedert and Wieneke likely has something to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jakejc795 View Post
    The absence of Goedert and Wieneke likely has something to do with that.
    And also... the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by da_coach View Post
    And also... the weather?

You're in pretty good shape, for the shape you're in. - Dr. Suess.

Matt Zimmer had a good article on things to watch for in tonight's spring game. I thought it'd be a good idea for us to discus the same.

Admittedly, it's difficult to gather a whole lot of info as a fan at the spring game. It's just a different kind of scrimmage.

But with that said, here's mine:

1) Who will become our best match up problem on the D Line? Will anyone stand out tonight?
    2) How will our passing scheme change with our departures? Will we notice more screens, play action, etc. tonight? They won't open the playbook up completely in a spring game, but I bet we do some different stuff.
    3) Will we have any sort of Jump Ball deep threat? We have a good amount of talent returning at WR, but it seems like most of them are on the smaller end. Do any of our taller, younger receivers develop into good mismatches with corners on the edge?

Also, I would add how does the offensive line do without an all American center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Anyone go? Figured would be a little discussion on it by now.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.Ē Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

I didn't go, but checked out the highlights. A few new names that I'm excited about from that small sample size: CJ Wilson looked very very quick out of the backfield (I assume he'll redshirt?), Pierre Strong looked smooth out of the backfield as well, Deyon Campbell looked fast when running after the catch.

Jordan Brown had a great grab. I expect him and Cade Johnson to produce a lot this year, along with contributions from Wilde and Lewis. It seems like we're stacked at WR with those 4 plus Anderson, Devlin, Campbell, and a bunch more redshirt freshman. We also seem to be stacked at RB with Wallace, Daniel, and now Strong, Wilson, and even Mulholland. This definitely won't be the most star studded team, but it could be one of the deepest teams we've had in a while. Thank you Dykhouse Stadium recruiting effect.

I am excited to see Taryn get to read the field and just distribute the ball to whoever is open. I feel like he had a lot of pressure in getting the ball to Jake and Dallas last year. I think he will thrive being able to just make reads and go with what the defense gives him.

Speaking of the defense, I expect a huge year from Logan Backhaus at LB alongside Rozeboom (can't believe we get to watch him for two more years still), Wilson, and Cox.

Now I wish I would have gone... So pumped for football. Is it September yet?

Stig said on the radio that Jimmy Rogers said CJ Wilson is the best RB he's ever seen. That's some really high praise. Not sure how they redshirt the kid, but the skill positions are pretty deep.

Replacing Ohnesorge will be difficult.

Nearly 4 months until kickoff.

Here is my take on the spring game.

Offense- We have some tremendous speed at the skill positions. QB looks like Nelson is the backup so far since he was the only other QB with the 1st team. WR-Where getting seperation and showing off their speed( Brown, Lewis,Johnson and Campbell). I think we still need Wilde or Orr or someone else to step up into that tall jump ball red zone threat. I didnt see Adam Anderson play. RB- Wallace didnít get many carries, Daniel is a beast, Strong and Wilson are fast, give them a hole and they can hit a homerun. TE- didnít see many catches mainly Cavanaugh and Hart saw reps. OL-??? a few guys sat out so a lot of shuffling was going on, struggled at times missed some blitzís but open holes for RBs. The Offense has a lot of motion and fakes and play action. Eye opener on the O was Wilson(speed) and Brown( could be TCs favorite option). Need to sure up the OL.

Defense - man there was a lot of rotating,we are deep in many positions. DL looked pretty good they where in the QBs face all night. Definitely see the youth stepping up. DT Hildahl, Ward,and Krowlikowski saw 1st team snaps Barrett didnít play. DE- Earith, Wilson, Smenda and Ogunrinde saw 1st team action. Might be some change in scheme as the De werenít 3 yds off the ball. LB- No Rozeboom or Urbanek, quite a few blitzís. Same rotation as last yr. Safety- I donít think Romanesko played. A lot of rotation, a few new guys seeing 1st team reps where Manchigiah and Berg. CB- looks like Gardner was mainly opposite Brown. Mcgary and Harris where getting reps also. Eye opener was DBs where letting guys get open, and the Dline was in the QBs face often.

Kinda my 2 cents, I know I missed a few things. Seemed to me quite a few guys did not play. Hopefully no major injuries that will cause missed games. Iím sure west side will fill us in.
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks