Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League BBall Transfers

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Is he someone who it might be worth checking in on ? Great length and impressed me in the ORU games I saw. Plus he is an Iowa native. Maybe some Iowa schools would have interest.
    This kid is a stud. My guess is he’ll aim for a higher conference. His game would fit well with SDSU though.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

White is a big loss for ORU and the Summit. A guy can dream about him coming to SDSU but I agree that he is probably headed out of the Summit. ORU appears to also have lost key reserve Jontray Harris (G - 22 min/game) and two others.

How long until the dust settles with all the transfers and we can relax about Daum?

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        White is a big loss for ORU and the Summit. A guy can dream about him coming to SDSU but I agree that he is probably headed out of the Summit. ORU appears to also have lost key reserve Jontray Harris (G - 22 min/game) and two others.

How long until the dust settles with all the transfers and we can relax about Daum?
        Nzekwesi has to be looking around and wondering why he should stay at ORU. I think that kid has NBA potential with his size and quickness, he looks like a football player out there (maybe a football transition for that matter).

Comment

Well when a student asks for his release, the school usually restricts the schools he can transfer to by not allowing them to transfer to Summit League schools, plus any school that is on next season's schedule. So transfers from other Summit League schools will probably not be available for transfer to other Summit League schools
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
            Well when a student asks for his release, the school usually restricts the schools he can transfer to by not allowing them to transfer to Summit League schools, plus any school that is on next season's schedule. So transfers from other Summit League schools will probably not be available for transfer to other Summit League schools
            In reference to my Konchar transfer pipe dream (and mooney for that matter, I would take him, or both), I assume this wouldn't apply to grad transfers?

Comment

Can they restrict grad transfers?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                In reference to my Konchar transfer pipe dream (and mooney for that matter, I would take him, or both), I assume this wouldn't apply to grad transfers?
                Good question...here is an example of a grad transfer that was blocked.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...flawed-system/
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                  Good question...here is an example of a grad transfer that was blocked.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...flawed-system/
                  The lack of application of common sense in the NCAA never ceases to amaze me.

Comment

Transfers within the Summit have occurred - Emegano from Western Illinois to ORU is one I can remember.

Comment

Transfers within the Summit have occurred - Emegano from Western Illinois to ORU is one I can remember.
                      Reggie Hamilton also if I remember correctly...
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

aren't transfer rules, conference and not NCAA?
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Well Emegano was born in Oklahoma and wanted to be closer to his family, so WIU "allowed" him to transfer to ORU. If a player wants to transfer within the conference, the school can allow it for special circumstances.

As far as Hamilton goes, he did transfer from UMKC to Oakland, but sat out a year. I guess UMKC did not have an issue transferring to Oakland.

I guess what my point is teams can restrict where transfers can play basketball. Some schools are more restrictive than others. I know some conferences have rules about not allowing transfers within the conference. Apparently Summit League has no such rules, or at least they did not have those rules a few years ago.

Go Jacks!!!
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Well Emegano was born in Oklahoma and wanted to be closer to his family, so WIU "allowed" him to transfer to ORU. If a player wants to transfer within the conference, the school can allow it for special circumstances.

As far as Hamilton goes, he did transfer from UMKC to Oakland, but sat out a year. I guess UMKC did not have an issue transferring to Oakland.

I guess what my point is teams can restrict where transfers can play basketball. Some schools are more restrictive than others. I know some conferences have rules about not allowing transfers within the conference. Apparently Summit League has no such rules, or at least they did not have those rules a few years ago.

Go Jacks!!!
                            On the women's side, the Jacks have let Severyn transfer to USD and Graettinger transfer to WIU in the last couple of years.

Comment

You can't flat out stop a transfer - some conference just won't release you to certain schools. Which means if you don't get a release and you still go to another conference school, you have to sit out two years. One for the NCAA requirement, one for the conference rule requirement. Or, you have to sit out just the one year, but you aren't allowed to receive a scholarship during the year you sit out. The latter is more common.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                You can't flat out stop a transfer - some conference just won't release you to certain schools. Which means if you don't get a release and you still go to another conference school, you have to sit out two years. One for the NCAA requirement, one for the conference rule requirement. Or, you have to sit out just the one year, but you aren't allowed to receive a scholarship during the year you sit out. The latter is more common.
                                This is accurate. No one can stop a transfer, just make it more difficult.

Some conferences have conference rules that say that even if you receive a release you have to sit out an extra year if you transfer within the conference. (Summit League does not). Many schools chose to block on certain standards (usually following years schedule, or X miles from campus).

As for Grad transfers, I think the amount of blocking depends on the masters program, but I don't know. I read the article but most schools (if not all) have MBA programs. My understanding was if they want to enlist a masters program that is not offered at their school they can leave without transfer. But I don't know.....

Comment

Working...
                                X