Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Summit League Tournament

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I would guess it would be mid-five figures, based on a hypothetical guesstimate ticket price of $25/session, $10 of which goes to the Summit League, and 60,000 announced attendance . . . that works out to $600,000, divided eight ways. Subtract out the $50k expenses and that's $68,500 to each school. Not an enormous amount maybe for a $10-$20M athletic budget, but it's a plus, not a minus.

Basically, it seems to me that you can think of the Summit League tournament as a donation of around $60,000 to each of the SL schools' athletic budgets, from the fine citizens of South Dakota and the fan bases of SDSU and (to a somewhat lesser extent) USD.

I welcome corrections to my estimates since I'm basically pulling it out my . . . hinder right now.
    I think this estimate is accurate. If the cost of attendance is roughly 23,000 dollars at SDSU, it’s tourney share would cover almost 3 scholarships. Maybe each attendee should have to declare their allegiance upon entering the facility and the tournament revenue be distributed based on declarations of fandom. SDSU would make out like bandits under this scenario.

Comment

I would guess it would be mid-five figures, based on a hypothetical guesstimate ticket price of $25/session, $10 of which goes to the Summit League, and 60,000 announced attendance . . . that works out to $600,000, divided eight ways. Subtract out the $50k expenses and that's $68,500 to each school. Not an enormous amount maybe for a $10-$20M athletic budget, but it's a plus, not a minus.

Basically, it seems to me that you can think of the Summit League tournament as a donation of around $60,000 to each of the SL schools' athletic budgets, from the fine citizens of South Dakota and the fan bases of SDSU and (to a somewhat lesser extent) USD.

I welcome corrections to my estimates since I'm basically pulling it out my . . . hinder right now.
      I was the one wondering and I certainly wont argue your numbers but I thought that they could be as much as 50% higher if $15 per ticket vs $10 is returned to the members.

My purpose was that I think the success of the Summit League Tournament is going to be a direct portion to the long term success of the league. It is a revenue driver and with that added revenue coming to every team, it may make the difference in a team keeping their coach versus him leaving for a CSU type team. Better coaches means better athletes and better teams and more success at the NCAA tournament which is also a revenue source for the league. I think that there is a lot more room for more growth for the SLT especially if other teams become more competitive. The idea of moving the SLT to a neutral site because too many Jacks fans show up and it makes it "unfair" and reducing revenue in the name of fairness is a really bad idea and will cost all the teams in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
        JackJD,

i think what you posted is somewhat accurate, and had you posted it on the Coyote board as a Coyote fan, I would also say you’re somewhat accurate. Let’s be honest, we have posters on our board that do indeed Hate State. I know at least one other one that posts there is former athlete like myself, and from the time you are 18 years old that’s ingrained into you. Much like a serious dislike (hate) for USD is ingrained into the heads of athletes when they report to SDSU.

You also have posters here that have an irrational hate of USD. I can point to several posts that your fans say they wouldn’t cheer for USD on anything. You have posters that want to see embarrassing things happen at USD just the same as we have posters that want the same to happen in Brookings.

In fact one of your recent posters made a statement that he is no longer going to post on USD board for various reasons. However, if the timelines on our boards are the same, you would find he left this board after posting and came to our board and made a post. So much for his claim.

You have several posters that come over to our board and post and make good contributions. Oldhare, SDSUALUM08, and a few others that don’t come to me as I type this are great contributors. For the most part, their posts are respected and add to the discussion. You also have a couple that come over just to stir the pot. Like your fans on this board don’t like that when one of ours does that to you, our posters don’t like it when yours come over to ours and does it.

The bottom line is each board has a few questionable posters. And when it comes to intra-State discussions, it doesn’t take much gas to ignite a fire. People assume the worst when the post comes from the rival. That’s happened to me on here where I’ve posted a while back and immediately gotten taken to the proverbial wood shed by some. Others not so much.

i would really like it if we could get to a point where we could post on each other’s fan board and have good and frank discussions and debates without taking a lashing of sorts. I don’t always agree with what the majority of our posters say, but there are times I do. I’m sure you feel the same about your board. I have developed a lot of respect for some of your posters and their ideas. I love Nidaros passion and loyalty. We’d all do well if each school had 1000 of him on their side. I hope you’ll come back to our board and get involved in fun debate. All the HATE STUFF (both ways) I simply don’t have time for.
        Thanks YF. I like the discussions on other boards as it gives me some perspective outside of Brookings. You have to have thick skin and understand most posters are just trying to rile people up. Only poster on all the boards I can’t stand is TAB.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I think the number is much higher. You are completely leaving out beer sales...

Comment

They have to pay SF Sports Authority or someone for the use of the Denny? Is that the 50 k for "expenses" I take it.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-20-2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              They have to pay SF Sports Authority or someone for the use of the Denny? Is that the 50 k for "expenses" I take it.
              I would guess that the $50k could be for travel and lodgings for the teams, like how the NCAA pays for transportation and such for their tournaments. At least I know the NCAA pays for travel for football so I would assume it’s similar for other tournaments. It doesn’t make sense for Sioux Falls to bid to host and then turn around and charge the league $50k to use the facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                I would guess that the $50k could be for travel and lodgings for the teams, like how the NCAA pays for transportation and such for their tournaments. At least I know the NCAA pays for travel for football so I would assume it’s similar for other tournaments. It doesn’t make sense for Sioux Falls to bid to host and then turn around and charge the league $50k to use the facilities.

Yeah, they must figure the city will make money with all the money spent in Sioux Falls from all the people that come to this event.

Comment

That might be what the corporate donors cover. As much as I know. You usually "rent" a place for a set amount. So the denny makes X regardless of ticket sales. The event promoters or concert etc is taking the chance to sell enough tickets at a certain price to make their money. The denny might charge garth Brooke's more since he is doing billion shows then what they might charge SD high sports to use it.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Well the Sioux Falls Sports Authority places a bid to host the tournament. I assume that the bid is above zero, so the Summit is getting money from the SF Sports Authority. There are sponsors and that is probably included in the bid. There is also revenue from the Midco Sports TV coverage and the ESPN championship game coverage. I am sure those media have to pay for the rights to broadcast the games. It may be minimal, but it is good exposure for the schools to be on TV, basically a free infomercial. Concession sales? Anyway there are a lot more revenue streams that make the Summit League Tourney a success that other mid-majors do not get. I know some conferences lose money in operating the conference tourney and for the Summit it is a revenue stream.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

No I don't think that is the expense they were talking about. The Summit League brings perhaps 10 or so people to Sioux Falls. With air tickets, hotels, per diem, the cost is probably north of $2500 per person so that would account for perhaps $25,000. There are also referees to hire, publicity to be paid for, etc. and all of sudden $50,000 starts to sound pretty reasonable.

I would assume the Denny gets its cut from concession sales, perhaps tickets, etc and not be included in the $50,000.

Comment

The question I have is who takes the concession income. $7 beers and $10 snacks should add up quickly with 60K bodies. Is this the Premier Center larger piece of the pie? Whoever gets the juice and how much did they pay makes me eager to support the activity called the SLT and realize that each year firms up the location.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          The question I have is who takes the concession income. $7 beers and $10 snacks should add up quickly with 60K bodies. Is this the Premier Center larger piece of the pie? Whoever gets the juice and how much did they pay makes me eager to support the activity called the SLT and realize that each year firms up the location.
                          It’s $8 beers

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                            It’s $8 beers

Somewhere there must be a full accounting of this three day event and it is most likely not a public record. I could be very wrong since SF Sports Authority is a quasi part of city government.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                              Thanks YF. I like the discussions on other boards as it gives me some perspective outside of Brookings. You have to have thick skin and understand most posters are just trying to rile people up. Only poster on all the boards I can’t stand is TAB.
                              Of all the posters on all the boards...I'm the one you can't stand? Good stuff! You read Bisonville and I'm the guy you can't stand? That's funny. Gotta have some haters.

Makes me think of Smokey & the Bandit II where the gas station attendant says if he would come up with a list of the top 100 a-holes of the 20th century, the Bandit would be in his top 5 (Yeah, I relate things to the Smokey and the Bandit movies...but never S&B III...never III...it was horrible).

Also makes me think of the last person I knew that just couldn't stand me when we first met. I mean this person hated being in the same room as me. Funny thing is, we've been married for almost 17 years now! So maybe SDSUALUM08 might love me yet too!

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                                Of all the posters on all the boards...I'm the one you can't stand? Good stuff! You read Bisonville and I'm the guy you can't stand? That's funny. Gotta have some haters.

Makes me think of Smokey & the Bandit II where the gas station attendant says if he would come up with a list of the top 100 a-holes of the 20th century, the Bandit would be in his top 5 (Yeah, I relate things to the Smokey and the Bandit movies...but never S&B III...never III...it was horrible).

Also makes me think of the last person I knew that just couldn't stand me when we first met. I mean this person hated being in the same room as me. Funny thing is, we've been married for almost 17 years now! So maybe SDSUALUM08 might love me yet too!
                                Its hard to tell what is levity and what is dead serious on a message board. I vote levity on SDSUALUM08 post.

Comment

Working...
                                X