Opponents' Message Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opponents' Message Boards

Who cares what the few people on the USD fan board think? The only thing they have going is their mutual hate of SDSU. They ought to thank us for having something to talk about.

Re: 2018 Summit League Tournament

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Some of the people would want first swing on individual games center court! Also, I will pay you when game day is here. I do not want those other tickets, would you take them back? The price has gone up too much for me to make a 2 year commitment, but I would take some of those $250 concert tickets. Would I have to sit next to those people in blue, they yell too much.
    I cant make a two year commitment either but I am not going to be jealous of those that can or those that do. I live far enough away and with the business I'm in I cant take a 3 day vacation that time of year. If I want tickets, I would buy them as I need them.

I would love to know the dollar amounts that are generated by the SLT and if that money is returned to the teams participating.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
      I cant make a two year commitment either but I am not going to be jealous of those that can or those that do. I live far enough away and with the business I'm in I cant take a 3 day vacation that time of year. If I want tickets, I would buy them as I need them.

I would love to know the dollar amounts that are generated by the SLT and if that money is returned to the teams participating.
      This is an interesting question. I’m curious if the bids are just the dollar amount to the Summit League or if it’s a combination of dolllars and a percent of the ticket revenue, similar to the NCAA playoffs. I tend to think that it’s just the dollar amount of the bid due to prior tournament attendance before Sioux Falls, but that’s just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
        Who cares what the few people on the USD fan board think? The only thing they have going is their mutual hate of SDSU. They ought to thank us for having something to talk about.
        A lot of wisdom in Cowbell's first sentence. I'd offer an amendment to the second and third sentences based on the following: I've given up trying to visit that message board. There are just a few regular posters, five or six, maybe seven, who continually display an irrational hatred of SDSU. I concluded, based on my experience at USD and the USD grads I know, that there is a good chance some of those four to seven nutcases are not USD grads. They may be USD fans but they cannot possibly have a degree from that school. In my three years at USD (granted, that's getting to be a long time ago), I did not meet one personality like those four to seven nuts. If one ventures down to read that board, keep in mind that you are not reading much posted by some good people who are fans of their team. So, I suggest it may be more accurate to state that those few posters who are clearly tipped over about SDSU share a mutual hatred and they should thank us for having something to write about.

BACK TO COWBELL'S FIRST SENTENCE: WHO CARES WHAT THE FEW PEOPLE ON THE USD FAN BOARD THINK? The question is rhetorical. I think SDSU fans who visit that board do so out of mostly curiosity and a little bit of trying to learn something new about a conference mate -- but, going there reminds me of the experience of driving on the freeways in Los Angeles: There are some wrecks and a lot of drivers slow down and gawk with a morbid fascination. That's what it's like reading some that dumb stuff: morbid fascination; gawking at accidents. It's a rare day when anything written on that board affecting SDSU, is worth repeating and dragging over to this board.
        Last edited by JackJD; 03-17-2018, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Good advice Jackjd. I have got caught up in their BS and lies(rumors/reliable source). Im done posting. They still have Their buddy Lakes posting so they wont miss me

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            A lot of wisdom in Cowbell's first sentence. I'd offer an amendment to the second and third sentences based on the following: I've given up trying to visit that message board. There are just a few regular posters, five or six, maybe seven, who continually display an irrational hatred of SDSU. I concluded, based on my experience at USD and the USD grads I know, that there is a good chance some of those four to seven nutcases are not USD grads. They may be USD fans but they cannot possibly have a degree from that school. In my three years at USD (granted, that's getting to be a long time ago), I did not meet one personality like those four to seven nuts. If one ventures down to read that board, keep in mind that you are not reading much posted by some good people who are fans of their team. So, I suggest it may be more accurate to state that those few posters who are clearly tipped over about SDSU share a mutual hatred and they should thank us for having something to write about.

BACK TO COWBELL'S FIRST SENTENCE: WHO CARES WHAT THE FEW PEOPLE ON THE USD FAN BOARD THINK? The question is rhetorical. I think SDSU fans who visit that board do so out of mostly curiosity and a little bit of trying to learn something new about a conference mate -- but, going there reminds me of the experience of driving on the freeways in Los Angeles: There are some wrecks and a lot of drivers slow down and gawk with a morbid fascination. That's what it's like reading some that dumb stuff: morbid fascination; gawking at accidents. It's a rare day when anything written on that board affecting SDSU, is worth repeating and dragging over to this board.
            Most USD alums like to kid or joke about the rivalry, but some over there display downright hatred. They just might not be USD alums as you stated. The one moderator is the instigator most of the time and its what you can get away with on a message board pretty dictates what quality and substance of each post. I know what we can do here, follow the rules and keep it civil. So USD board is a read only for me and yes I like to gawk at accidents and count my blessings that the accident does not involve me.

Comment

I like to visit other fan boards just to try and read other opinions, maybe even get some inside info if you can get your way thru some of the BS. The last time I visited the coyote fan board was a couple of years ago. Almost every single thread I read turned into some kind of bashing of SDSU even if it had nothing to do us....like a game thread against another team. I realized at that point I was wasting my time because the hatred of the few posters for SDSU was so irrational.
              It is too bad because I don't think it reflects the entire fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

JackJD,

i think what you posted is somewhat accurate, and had you posted it on the Coyote board as a Coyote fan, I would also say you’re somewhat accurate. Let’s be honest, we have posters on our board that do indeed Hate State. I know at least one other one that posts there is former athlete like myself, and from the time you are 18 years old that’s ingrained into you. Much like a serious dislike (hate) for USD is ingrained into the heads of athletes when they report to SDSU.

You also have posters here that have an irrational hate of USD. I can point to several posts that your fans say they wouldn’t cheer for USD on anything. You have posters that want to see embarrassing things happen at USD just the same as we have posters that want the same to happen in Brookings.

In fact one of your recent posters made a statement that he is no longer going to post on USD board for various reasons. However, if the timelines on our boards are the same, you would find he left this board after posting and came to our board and made a post. So much for his claim.

You have several posters that come over to our board and post and make good contributions. Oldhare, SDSUALUM08, and a few others that don’t come to me as I type this are great contributors. For the most part, their posts are respected and add to the discussion. You also have a couple that come over just to stir the pot. Like your fans on this board don’t like that when one of ours does that to you, our posters don’t like it when yours come over to ours and does it.

The bottom line is each board has a few questionable posters. And when it comes to intra-State discussions, it doesn’t take much gas to ignite a fire. People assume the worst when the post comes from the rival. That’s happened to me on here where I’ve posted a while back and immediately gotten taken to the proverbial wood shed by some. Others not so much.

i would really like it if we could get to a point where we could post on each other’s fan board and have good and frank discussions and debates without taking a lashing of sorts. I don’t always agree with what the majority of our posters say, but there are times I do. I’m sure you feel the same about your board. I have developed a lot of respect for some of your posters and their ideas. I love Nidaros passion and loyalty. We’d all do well if each school had 1000 of him on their side. I hope you’ll come back to our board and get involved in fun debate. All the HATE STUFF (both ways) I simply don’t have time for.

Comment

Timeline must be different because i havent posted since i said i wasnt going to. And im not going to. I grew up around Vermillion so i know plenty of usd fans that i am friends with. I also know one of your board members who is a great guy. I might be better off not reading your board at all. Then the hate might go away some.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                    JackJD,

...You also have posters here that have an irrational hate of USD. I can point to several posts that your fans say they wouldn’t cheer for USD on anything. You have posters that want to see embarrassing things happen at USD just the same as we have posters that want the same to happen in Brookings....The bottom line is each board has a few questionable posters. And when it comes to intra-State discussions, it doesn’t take much gas to ignite a fire. People assume the worst when the post comes from the rival....
                    I can't quarrel with much of what you've written (I've quoted just a portion above). Perhaps its my bias, but it seems to me there are four to seven regulars on the USD board who are driven by white-hot, irrational hatred [I get some satisfaction knowing that SDSU is apparently occupying a lot of space in a few heads where it is evident there is little grey matter available to be wasted in those few heads] and I do not see that same kind of emotion by regulars on this board against USD. Maybe some get close but it isn't a steady stream. That kind of behavior on this board would likely result in a short leash being placed on the poster.

I wonder if some of those few even have degrees from USD. Certainly the personalities they display are nothing like the people I knew and know at USD.

One of the primary reasons I posted (my long and dreary, boring post) was to once again state the point that one cannot judge an entire fan group by the rantings of a few. Unfortunately, in the world of fan message boards, a few posters can stand out. And if a few nuts continue to pound on the same subjects, they seem to gain traction. My advice was (1) resist the temptation to paint the group for the actions of just a few; and, (2) ignore the false and malicious crap one reads on the other message board. If USD message board participants feel the same about this board, they may consider following the same advice.
                    Last edited by JackJD; 03-18-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Someone above asked if a portion of the the Summit League tournament money went back to the teams. At the Staters Club meeting here in Sioux Falls, Tom Douple was asked that question. He said that none of the money went to the league except $50,000 to cover expenses. The rest is returned to the schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                        Someone above asked if a portion of the the Summit League tournament money went back to the teams. At the Staters Club meeting here in Sioux Falls, Tom Douple was asked that question. He said that none of the money went to the league except $50,000 to cover expenses. The rest is returned to the schools.
                        I wonder what that number is?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                          I wonder what that number is?
                          I would guess it would be mid-five figures, based on a hypothetical guesstimate ticket price of $25/session, $10 of which goes to the Summit League, and 60,000 announced attendance . . . that works out to $600,000, divided eight ways. Subtract out the $50k expenses and that's $68,500 to each school. Not an enormous amount maybe for a $10-$20M athletic budget, but it's a plus, not a minus.

Basically, it seems to me that you can think of the Summit League tournament as a donation of around $60,000 to each of the SL schools' athletic budgets, from the fine citizens of South Dakota and the fan bases of SDSU and (to a somewhat lesser extent) USD.

I welcome corrections to my estimates since I'm basically pulling it out my . . . hinder right now.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I would guess it would be mid-five figures, based on a hypothetical guesstimate ticket price of $25/session, $10 of which goes to the Summit League, and 60,000 announced attendance . . . that works out to $600,000, divided eight ways. Subtract out the $50k expenses and that's $68,500 to each school. Not an enormous amount maybe for a $10-$20M athletic budget, but it's a plus, not a minus.

Basically, it seems to me that you can think of the Summit Le7ague tournament as a donation of around $60,000 to each of the SL schools' athletic budgets, from the fine citizens of South Dakota and the fan bases of SDSU and (to a somewhat lesser extent) USD.

I welcome corrections to my estimates since I'm basically pulling it out my . . . hinder right now.
                            Corporate Sponsorship money?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              Corporate Sponsorship money?
                              No idea, so not included in the calculations.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X