Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking Through: What's Needed to win an NCAA game or two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Breaking Through: What's Needed to win an NCAA game or two?

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
    I'm not bemoaning the 3-point shooting or the strategy letting them shoot but late in games it is a huge no-no to foul 3-point shooters. In both cases the inopportune fouls cost Jacks a total of 4 points ... in a game under 2 minutes you simply cannot do that. After that you have to chase after points and that almost never works in tight close games.
    Yes the fouls were costly, but the game was winding down very quickly, and by the body language of OSU players, they felt another game was in their future.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I did not check all the box scores on goJacks.com but Howell played up to 10 minutes in many OOC games so I believe he used his eligibility up and to get a medical redshirt might be more than what he wants to do. I would tend to agree. I don't expect him back.
      Howell does have one more year of eligibility. He played one season of JUCO and has spent two here.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        Howell does have one more year of eligibility. He played one season of JUCO and has spent two here.
        Thanks I did not know that.

Comment

Howell will likely grad transfer. I believe he even said in an interview that his goal this semester was to graduate.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

19 offensive rebounds for Ohio State, 10 in the first. That killed us.

Also, as some have said and I've been saying all along, we need to play better defense. We made strides this year in that department but not enough of them. I understand it might not be TJ's main philosophy but in my very non-expert opinion we would move into the elite category if our defense improved.

Comment

Not sure where to put this but found it interesting. http://siusalukis.com/news/2018/3/31...h-edition.aspx

No pressure on the coach there.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                Not sure where to put this but found it interesting. http://siusalukis.com/news/2018/3/31...h-edition.aspx

No pressure on the coach there.
                No pressure.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Apparently they needed to cheat to beat us...

https://ohiostate.247sports.com/Arti...ions-117492435

(in case that wasn't obvious that was said somewhat in jest)

Comment

A new article on this topic from Andy Katz at CBS Sports.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...e-another-ncaa

“And if there is a player who could be a difference maker to take the Jackrabbits across that finish line and actually win an NCAA tournament game it could be freshman Owen King. He was a quarterback in high school in Minnesota and someone who Otzelberger said could have played Big Ten football but chose hoops.”

“”He’s a winner,’’ said Otzelberger of the 6-3 guard. “He gives us a lot of toughness and intangible qualities. He will be an impactful player who will play heavy minutes and possibly an eventual starter.’’

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      A new article on this topic from Andy Katz at CBS Sports.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...e-another-ncaa

“And if there is a player who could be a difference maker to take the Jackrabbits across that finish line and actually win an NCAA tournament game it could be freshman Owen King. He was a quarterback in high school in Minnesota and someone who Otzelberger said could have played Big Ten football but chose hoops.”

“”He’s a winner,’’ said Otzelberger of the 6-3 guard. “He gives us a lot of toughness and intangible qualities. He will be an impactful player who will play heavy minutes and possibly an eventual starter.’’
                      Really excited about this kid. He already physically looks like a D1 bball player. If he can step in and contribute right away, and Alou Dillon plays like people expect him to, watch out. It's going to be a great year with Daum, Jenkins, King, Flatten, and Key. It could be Jacks bball's biggest year ever with big contributions from guys like King and Dillon (going to be weird having two Kings on the court at the same time). I'm really interested to see if any of the other redshirt or true freshmen step up to provide depth, as I believe the 7 mentioned will likely be the main guys for 2018-2019.

Here's a nice compilation of King's highlights if you haven't seen them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EbHKQiVvOxc

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        Really excited about this kid. He already physically looks like a D1 bball player. If he can step in and contribute right away, and Alou Dillon plays like people expect him to, watch out. It's going to be a great year with Daum, Jenkins, King, Flatten, and Key. It could be Jacks bball's biggest year ever with big contributions from guys like King and Dillon (going to be weird having two Kings on the court at the same time). I'm really interested to see if any of the other redshirt or true freshmen step up to provide depth, as I believe the 7 mentioned will likely be the main guys for 2018-2019.

I really hope that Key gets on the TK workout plan from last offseason, whatever the hell he did. Key was a game changing player during postseason play last year once he started scoring, picture a whole season of that, nobody in the Summit League can keep up with him.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                          I really hope that Key gets on the TK workout plan from last offseason, whatever the hell he did. Key was a game changing player during postseason play last year once he started scoring, picture a whole season of that, nobody in the Summit League can keep up with him.
                          It would be nice to get some consistent scoring from Key. Ohio State blows us out without Key in the tourney last year. If Key can shoot a higher percentage from three, look out.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            It would be nice to get some consistent scoring from Key. Ohio State blows us out without Key in the tourney last year. If Key can shoot a higher percentage from three, look out.
                            At the very least, we won't have to play 2/3 of the season with him on the bench like last year. It's easy to think that the outcome of some of those close OOC games might have been different if we would have had end-of-season Key (Colorado and WSU come to mind). He was a real weapon the last month.

I wonder if any of the August games in Canada will be available to watch. I'll be a sucker for a pay-per-view deal to see all the new players in action.

Comment

The dribble behind his back and drives to the bucket remind me of Nate Wolters. He has the size of Nate also. I'm excited to see him play.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Thing I like about him... smooth and steady. Didn't look like he was in a rush at all... even leading the break with guys chasing him, he just looked like he was taking his time... Isn't that a thing that sets apart the "great ones" how they make things look effortless? He looks like that.

Not saying he'll be a great one, but I sure liked what I saw on that highlight clip.

Comment

Working...
                                X