Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking Through: What's Needed to win an NCAA game or two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Breaking Through: What's Needed to win an NCAA game or two?

When we look at teams like Gonzaga, Creighton, Wichita State or Butler, they all have a few competitive advantages. The most important of which is the large Metro areas they are a part of. Omaha has a Metro of close to a million people, Wichita is around 650000, Spokane is around 550,000 and Indianapolis is over 2 million. They are the major university in their cities. Except for Butler they don't compete with an NBA team in their state.

Think about all of those things. Alumni have the opportunity to stay close, stay engaged with their alma mater and have good paying jobs. There are few competitors for their time and resources. It's not shocking that their donor base is much larger and their attendance much higher.

I would love for SDSU to replicate the success of any of these schools but to think we can just copy their model isn't being realistic. If we are to get there, I believe our path will have to look much different. What that path looks like I can't tell you but our population base is much different.

Comment

The main ingredient needed for an under dog mid major team like ourselves to win a game or two in the NCAA tourney is a little luck. Take a look at most upsets and one team gets hot and the favorite doesn't play very well. I would be willing to bet if the previous tournament had been replayed one week later MANY games would of had different outcomes. Bottom line is it is hard to win games in the tournament. I have faith in this coaching staff bringing in kids that can get the job done but I'm not sure there is a sure fire blue print on how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
        When we look at teams like Gonzaga, Creighton, Wichita State or Butler, they all have a few competitive advantages. The most important of which is the large Metro areas they are a part of. Omaha has a Metro of close to a million people, Wichita is around 650000, Spokane is around 550,000 and Indianapolis is over 2 million. They are the major university in their cities. Except for Butler they don't compete with an NBA team in their state.

Think about all of those things. Alumni have the opportunity to stay close, stay engaged with their alma mater and have good paying jobs. There are few competitors for their time and resources. It's not shocking that their donor base is much larger and their attendance much higher.

I would love for SDSU to replicate the success of any of these schools but to think we can just copy their model isn't being realistic. If we are to get there, I believe our path will have to look much different. What that path looks like I can't tell you but our population base is much different.
        An old, old, clique " Rome was not built in a day". I think SDSU has progressed a great deal since 2003 in building programs at the D1 level. There are miles and miles of difference between D2 and D1. This is what we found out.

To have a Gonzaga basketball program next season is almost impossible if not impossible. Can we expect more next year? I think we can. I dont have an answer on how to make the program better. True, SDSU is not located in a metro area, but darn close to one. I suspect Oklahoma U is in a similar situation being about 40 to 50 miles from Oklahoma City, but they have somehow not let that be a barrier. I think we have done the same with Sioux Falls but not to the same extent. The initial Study, The Carr Report, made often mention of having to rely on the population of Sioux Falls in order to be successful at the D1 Level. I find it interesting that many of the posters here have addresses of Sioux Falls, or Minnehaha County. So SDSU Admin must be doing something right.

Contrast this with the 1960's when I was a student. Our following in SF was then was very little, mostly very loyal alums like the Schock brothers who owned a large dairy called Terrace Park. I think they are long gone as supporters, but now we are doing much better in corporate sponsorship and booster contributions.

Back in the 1960's, there was little attention paid to alums who started successful companies such as Hefty Seed. Had they went after successful corporate sponsors such as Hefty, we would be miles ahead of where we are today. My point is we are doing so much better than 20,30 or 40 years ago. The exposure that these sponsors receive offsets the cost many times.

This is a good dialogue, lets keep it going.

Comment

This thread took an interesting turn. We went from needing a big man to compete and win in the NCAA tourney to being the next Gonzaga.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            This thread took an interesting turn. We went from needing a big man to compete and win in the NCAA tourney to being the next Gonzaga.
            I think that is because they are still a "mid-major" in people's eyes. I think that programs like UNI, Butler, and Creighton are a better target at this point in our D1 journey.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              I think that is because they are still a "mid-major" in people's eyes. I think that programs like UNI, Butler, and Creighton are a better target at this point in our D1 journey.
              I think a better near-term goal for men's basketball is not to be Gonzaga, Creighton, Wichita State, Butler or even UNI, it's to be a Murray State. Basically, get the men's program to the same place SDSU's women are at--be a legitimate contender to advance to the round of 32, and advancing to the Sweet 16 isn't a totally ridiculous proposition with a special team.

I think that non-conference scheduling will have to get much more aggressive, and that will necessarily mean giving up a couple of home non-conference games.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                There is no doubt, SDSU needs bigger and better athletes. As I type our coaching staff is out there looking for these guys. I don’t see any harm in looking at Gonzaga’s track record. This old goat in 1959-60 saw our Jacks beat them in The Barn. I think we can do it again. Everything has to be better in order for that to happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  I think a better near-term goal for men's basketball is not to be Gonzaga, Creighton, Wichita State, Butler or even UNI, it's to be a Murray State. Basically, get the men's program to the same place SDSU's women are at--be a legitimate contender to advance to the round of 32, and advancing to the Sweet 16 isn't a totally ridiculous proposition with a special team.

I think that non-conference scheduling will have to get much more aggressive, and that will necessarily mean giving up a couple of home non-conference games.
                  I would agree with this totally. While I brought up Gonzaga in my ultra-lengthy post, I don't think that is realistic at all. This level of competition is achievable. Need to look into what they draw for crowds, their capacity, and make some comparisons. Will leave that to someone else. That novel I wrote took almost a six-pack.

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                    That novel I wrote took almost a six-pack.

SUPERBUNNY
                    To read.

Not sure how many it took to write.

Comment

I'm excited to see what kind of boost (short and long term) the practice gym and renovation of Frost will give this program. Short term we're almost guaranteed an increase in attendance, which hopefully leads to more season ticket holders. Long term I think we're bound to see an effect in recruitment. All of this is similar to what the football program has seen with the SJAC and Dykhouse.

With all the talk about how the better mid major programs only have basketball, I would rather have it this way. The success both programs have had recently is amazing and so fun to watch as an alumni and fan.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        I'm excited to see what kind of boost (short and long term) the practice gym and renovation of Frost will give this program. Short term we're almost guaranteed an increase in attendance, which hopefully leads to more season ticket holders. Long term I think we're bound to see an effect in recruitment. All of this is similar to what the football program has seen with the SJAC and Dykhouse.

With all the talk about how the better mid major programs only have basketball, I would rather have it this way. The success both programs have had recently is amazing and so fun to watch as an alumni and fan.
                        I'm nervous about fan support this year. With the team we have coming back , we should be able to draw great crowds. The product on the court has never been better.

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          I'm nervous about fan support this year. With the team we have coming back , we should be able to draw great crowds. The product on the court has never been better.

SUPERBUNNY
                          According to the seating chart, there are less than 300 seats left in the reserved seat area. That would mean about 1700 reserved season tickets have been sold. There are also general admission season tickets sold but no way to estimate how many.

Comment

Working...
                          X