Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking Through: What's Needed to win an NCAA game or two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Breaking Through: What's Needed to win an NCAA game or two?

We have a lot of talent on this team, but concerned we are lacking a "big" in the rotation. USD has gotten extremely big with their recent additions. I think we can win with the guards we have, but will have some matchup issues.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      We have a lot of talent on this team, but concerned we are lacking a "big" in the rotation. USD has gotten extremely big with their recent additions. I think we can win with the guards we have, but will have some matchup issues.
      I wish we had a 6'9, 270 lb, 20 minute-per-game upperclassmen as well. Ultimately, the question for this year is if the combined output of Dillon (6-8, 225) and Dentlinger (6-8, 250) can equal what we got out of Theisen (6-9, 240) in the paint. I have not seen either one play, but I don't think that is too much of a stretch.

USD's roster does look impressive, height-wise. Five players 6'8 or better is a pile. However, one of those is a true freshman bean-pole, another is a RS freshman and a third is Dan Jecht. Hagedorn is a very nice player and the guy they recently picked up from Florida International looks like he'll be a solid role player. That should be a pretty effective combo. Their whole team is going to have to adjust to not facing defenders 100% focused on Mooney, however. Unless a bigtime outside scorer emerges their bigs are sure to see a little more defensive pressure than the past couple years.

Comment

I don't think we're afraid to play "small ball" though. We might have some issues stopping a pile of bigs on defense, but I'm pretty confident that the likes of Jenkins, King, and Key will be able to outscore any bigs they're matched up against. Unless those bigs are extremely athletic, sometimes it's a big disadvantage to try to defend small ball by throwing a bunch of big guys out there. I think USD's team last year was the best chance they had of beating this SDSU team (when it matters). I would be surprised if they give us as many problems this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          I don't think we're afraid to play "small ball" though. We might have some issues stopping a pile of bigs on defense, but I'm pretty confident that the likes of Jenkins, King, and Key will be able to outscore any bigs they're matched up against. Unless those bigs are extremely athletic, sometimes it's a big disadvantage to try to defend small ball by throwing a bunch of big guys out there. I think USD's team last year was the best chance they had of beating this SDSU team (when it matters). I would be surprised if they give us as many problems this year.
          I'll add this: Do they have a BIG that can guard the outside? Ahem! Mike Daum, anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            I'll add this: Do they have a BIG that can guard the outside? Ahem! Mike Daum, anybody?
            Then if you add Dillon into the line-up, which seems to be a likely scenario, you have what looks to be a quick, very athletic 6'8'' player that could be hard for a typical center to match up with.

Comment

Andy, South Dakota State’s Mike Daum lost 20 pounds this summer and now his body fat is 7%. Just a heads up! #Yoda

From Rashad Phillips twitter.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                I think we have higher aspirations than just matching up and beating USD. Not adding an experienced big who plays in the middle was a missed opportunity. The only two players over 6'8 other than Daum are redshirt freshman with no experience. A disservice to our seniors in not adding another piece after Howell left imho.

Comment

I think we have higher aspirations than just matching up and beating USD. Not adding an experienced big who plays in the middle was a missed opportunity. The only two players over 6'8 other than Daum are redshirt freshman with no experience. A disservice to our seniors in not adding another piece after Howell left imho.
                  Every school in America would like a 6-10, 250-pound post player. The good ones are scarce and hard to come by. The bad and mediocre ones just take up roster space better held by 6-7 athletes.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    Every school in America would like a 6-10, 250-pound post player. The good ones are scarce and hard to come by. The bad and mediocre ones just take up roster space better held by 6-7 athletes.
                    Not true. Where are the 6'7 athletes you speak of on this roster. When you have a Mike Daum and history of getting to the tournament you can land some "big" talent.

Comment

Not true. Where are the 6'7 athletes you speak of on this roster. When you have a Mike Daum and history of getting to the tournament you can land some "big" talent.
                      Do we have some names of some of these "big" talent big men we should have brought in?

If Dillon and Dentlinger perform like Daum did during his redshirt year are we still upset we didn't bring in another big man?

Comment

So you're saying T.J. doesn't know what the hell he's doing? Good stuff.
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          So you're saying T.J. doesn't know what the hell he's doing? Good stuff.
                          No, I'm sure he made an attempt, but it did not happen. Can't imagine with one of the most talented teams we have ever had common sense says you add another big body to better match up with non-conference foes and potential opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            Do we have some names of some of these "big" talent big men we should have brought in?

If Dillon and Dentlinger perform like Daum did during his redshirt year are we still upset we didn't bring in another big man?
                            Yes, a grad transfer with some real experience.

Comment

No, I'm sure he made an attempt, but it did not happen. Can't imagine with one of the most talented teams we have ever had common sense says you add another big body to better match up with non-conference foes and potential opponents.
                              I agree with you here. But then I wonder why the Loudon Love didn't end up at SDSU and also why we decided to pull the offer of the big kid from Sioux Valley (Volga, SD). To me that shows the tendency of where TJ's recruiting is going to go. I'm just thinking out loud here, not sure what to make of it. But does seem somewhat related to the ever-reoccurring "BIG" discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                I agree with you here. But then I wonder why the Loudon Love didn't end up at SDSU and also why we decided to pull the offer of the big kid from Sioux Valley (Volga, SD). To me that shows the tendency of where TJ's recruiting is going to go. I'm just thinking out loud here, not sure what to make of it. But does seem somewhat related to the ever-reoccurring "BIG" discussion.
                                You wonder what a Loudon Love could have done for this team in terms of rebounding, toughness and a real force in the middle which I felt we lacked regardless of our success. That skillset was lacking against Ohio State. I guess he wasn't TJ's kind of player.

Comment

Working...
                                X