Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rnd 1: OHIO STATE

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Also a quote from that article "The jackrabbits will be playing relatively close to home in Boise"...

For reference, it's a 19 hour drive from Brookings to Boise. It's 14 hours to Columbus OH from Brookings.

People's lack of basic geography astounds me sometimes. It's like they see South Dakota, and they see Idaho, comprehend that they are both west of the Mississippi but not on the coast, and boom: they must be relatively close together...
    But South Dakota is west of the Mississippi so it is a, western state!!!

My guess is if you ask the writer he will also tell you that Mt. Rushmore is near Brookings. I do live out west, four hours west of Denver. When someone asks me where I'm from I continually get the, oh, you moved here from a western state so the transition must have been smooth. Normally it is from some of our new residents who have moved here from Illinois and the east coast. It is really amazing how some have gotten through life with no real geographic knowledge of this country.

Comment

I live just north of Denver and have driven to Boise before. That is a long drive for sure, you think Denver is out west but going out there sure changes your perspective.

Comment

stupid joke, man "what state is Boise in". woman " I da ho". man" I da Pimp, now go out and earn me some money"

Comment

We are super stoked to have the Jacks come to town this week. This will be the third year in a row I've been able to see them out this way. If anyone is headed to Boise for the games, please feel free to PM me. I can give some local advice to keep you out of the chain restaurants, things to do on Friday, and of course, beer. We are approaching 20 breweries in the Valley these days.

Comment

Agree with those saying this is a good matchup for the Jackrabbits. They aren't loaded with NBA players, and they aren't a top seed for a reason.

That being said, they have some good players, and don't overlook them. (If any 12 could overlook a 5 seed.)

Chris Holtmann is a 1st year coach at Ohio State...but he's about as good as it gets. He came from Butler. He kept that Butler train rolling after Brad Stevens left. His "worst" season, in 3 years at Butler, was 22-11 and a loss in the round of 32.

To be honest, we're fortunate that we're playing them THIS season, and not next. A year from now, Holtmann will have some of his recruits in there, and his team will have played another year under his coaching.

He made a HUGE impact on their team this year, which is why OSU is/was so improved from the last few seasons.

I still like this match-up for Jackrabbits, and it's as good of a chance we've had in being able to move into the 2nd round. Doesn't mean we will, but there's a chance!

Comment

I say this every year, but if anyone is on the fence about going to this event......GO! Watching the Jacks play in the big dance is incredible. The alumni association will have a pre-game gathering somewhere. I'd recommend hitting that up. Pretty incredible to see several hundred Jacks fans invade a local establishment.

Comment

CBS sports’ Matt Norlander ranks the Jacks 45th of all the tournament teams (link below). That’s underwhelming but what I found interesting was his comment about Jenkins. High praise from a national guy.

“David Jenkins Jr. He was a top-20 freshman in college basketball this season and is a future Summit League Player of the Year.”

How’s that for a coach quickly living up to the hype about his recruiting?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...h-madness/amp/

Comment

Nice roundup of comments on the game by Argus. The consensus is that it's not going to be a cake walk, but an upset wouldn't be that big of a surprise. However, at +8, we are larger underdogs than two other 12 seeds, New Mexico State (+5 vs. Clemson) and Davidson (+6 vs. Kentucky... this line is surprising).

https://twitter.com/ArgusSports/stat...37692728250368

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                    Also a quote from that article "The jackrabbits will be playing relatively close to home in Boise"...

For reference, it's a 19 hour drive from Brookings to Boise. It's 14 hours to Columbus OH from Brookings.

People's lack of basic geography astounds me sometimes. It's like they see South Dakota, and they see Idaho, comprehend that they are both west of the Mississippi but not on the coast, and boom: they must be relatively close together...
                    Had a friend in college from Florida. One of the first days at SDSU he asked if we could run over to Mt. Rushmore in the afternoon so that he could see it (He thought it was, at most, a 2-3 hour drive). I had to inform him that what South Dakota lacks in population, we make up for in long drives.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      Had a friend in college from Florida. One of the first days at SDSU he asked if we could run over to Mt. Rushmore in the afternoon so that he could see it (He thought it was, at most, a 2-3 hour drive). I had to inform him that what South Dakota lacks in population, we make up for in long drives.
                      Ha. South Dakota is small too.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                        Totally doable. Leave at 6 am get there between 11 am and 12 pm mountain time. Spend an hour or so there. Drive back to Brookings in time to head out to the bars.

Comment

This doesn't have anything to do with Ohio State but thought I would share. It is a map of the closest NCAA tournament team to each county. The rabbits cover a lot ground!

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/973284307472011264

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 4.00.38 PM.jpg
                          Last edited by hometownjack; 03-12-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hometownjack View Post
                            This doesn't have anything to do with Ohio State but thought I would share. It is a map of the closest NCAA tournament team to each county. The rabbits cover a lot ground!

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]945[/ATTACH]
                            That how to be the weirdest map I have seen in a long time.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                              Agree with those saying this is a good matchup for the Jackrabbits. They aren't loaded with NBA players, and they aren't a top seed for a reason.

That being said, they have some good players, and don't overlook them. (If any 12 could overlook a 5 seed.)

Chris Holtmann is a 1st year coach at Ohio State...but he's about as good as it gets. He came from Butler. He kept that Butler train rolling after Brad Stevens left. His "worst" season, in 3 years at Butler, was 22-11 and a loss in the round of 32.

To be honest, we're fortunate that we're playing them THIS season, and not next. A year from now, Holtmann will have some of his recruits in there, and his team will have played another year under his coaching.

He made a HUGE impact on their team this year, which is why OSU is/was so improved from the last few seasons.

I still like this match-up for Jackrabbits, and it's as good of a chance we've had in being able to move into the 2nd round. Doesn't mean we will, but there's a chance!
                              I completely agree. Chris Holtmann is a star. SDSU won’t win because OSU isn’t prepared or they’re overlooking SDSU.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Did anyone who called the SDSU ticket office for tickets hear back today? When I called they said most likely would get a call back this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X