Rnd 1: OHIO STATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rnd 1: OHIO STATE

Completely off topic, but why don't the "First Four" games include teams playing their way into the tournament? It seems really silly that 11 seeds have to play their way into the dance. Plus, as a 16 seed you are, usually, gonna get curb-stomped in the first round so it would be fun for them to actually play a competitive game. There are so many things about the Dance that I love...but then there are a few things that just confuse me.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      Completely off topic, but why don't the "First Four" games include teams playing their way into the tournament? It seems really silly that 11 seeds have to play their way into the dance. Plus, as a 16 seed you are, usually, gonna get curb-stomped in the first round so it would be fun for them to actually play a competitive game. There are so many things about the Dance that I love...but then there are a few things that just confuse me.
      The 11 seed games are play in games for the "last 4 in" teams to see who gets the two 11 spots in the tournament. You have to remember that the last 4 selected are better than most of the conference winners (usually 12-16 seeds). Then the 16 seeds that have to play in are the worst of the conference winners. Basically, it's just a way to include 4 more teams in the tournament that would have been left out. Apparently they thought that in the past the "first 4 out" were teams that were too good to be left out of the tournament. All of that, plus more money.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityLoss View Post
        Ohio State fan here, just coming through to try to learn as much as I can about your team before our matchup on Thursday. I hope you can see that our knowledgeable fans have a great amount of respect for not only your program but also the particular challenge you bring on Thursday. Happy to answer any questions you have about our team, but for the most part it seems you have a general understanding of our genetic makeup. The only misconception I saw was the idea you could put Daum on Kaleb Wesson to avoid foul trouble, but that is the worst match-up for hiding foul trouble, Kaleb is in the 95% percentile in FTs drawn per possession. Anyways see ya soon.
        Thank you for coming to the board and sharing.
        Daum and Jenkins Jr will shoot just less than half of SDSU shots.
        I think a lot of how the game plays out will depend on Jenkins Jr. There were games when he was 1-10, 4-15, etc and then there were games when he was hot. I guess that is what you get from freshman.
        Flatten is really athletic but he likes to sit out at the 3 point line and hit that shot. He shoots it around 50% from there so you don't want to lay of him too much.
        Daum will probably get 25 points and 12 rebounds. He could go off for more than that but he normally gets at least that.
        King and Key will drive to the basket if things open up and try more to score from there.
        Reed is just a solid all around player. he isn't real flashy but he seems to be in right place at the right time, most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          The 11 seed games are play in games for the "last 4 in" teams to see who gets the two 11 spots in the tournament. You have to remember that the last 4 selected are better than most of the conference winners (usually 12-16 seeds). Then the 16 seeds that have to play in are the worst of the conference winners. Basically, it's just a way to include 4 more teams in the tournament that would have been left out. Apparently they thought that in the past the "first 4 out" were teams that were too good to be left out of the tournament. All of that, plus more money.
          You are correct but this is still another way they give the power conferences away to win more games and collect more money. Make them play in as a 16 seed and give the little guy a better chance.

Comment

The only misconception I saw was the idea you could put Daum on Kaleb Wesson to avoid foul trouble, but that is the worst match-up for hiding foul trouble, Kaleb is in the 95% percentile in FTs drawn per possession. Anyways see ya soon.
            Quick search on NCAA stats, SDSU is ranked 40th in total FT attempts. Ohio St is ranked 243rd. Daum personally ranks 24th in the country in total FT attempts.
            Daum shoots 6.5 FT per game, Wesson shoots 4.4. Unless Ohio St plays a much much slower pace than SDSU, I don't see how Kaleb Wesson draws more FTs per possession than Daum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks86 View Post
              Quick search on NCAA stats, SDSU is ranked 40th in total FT attempts. Ohio St is ranked 243rd. Daum personally ranks 24th in the country in total FT attempts.
              Daum shoots 6.5 FT per game, Wesson shoots 4.4. Unless Ohio St plays a much much slower pace than SDSU, I don't see how Kaleb Wesson draws more FTs per possession than Daum.
              You'd have to look at minutes played by each player, and yes, SDSU tends to be very high in the amount of possessions per game. Also, the person you're replying to didn't say he draws more fts/possession than Daum. Didn't compare him to Daum at all. Just that he was in the 95th percentile.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

SDSU averages 77.4 possessions per game. Ohio State averages 69.6 possessions per game. Don't ask me who's argument this supports, I just wanted to add stats too.

Edit: Team that is dead last in Possessions per game? #1 Virgina at 62.1
                https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-ba...sions-per-game
                Last edited by SoDakJack; 03-13-2018, 04:33 PM. Reason: More Statz

Comment

SDSU averages 77.4 possessions per game. Ohio State averages 69.6 possessions per game. Don't ask me who's argument this supports, I just wanted to add stats too.

Edit: Team that is dead last in Possessions per game? #1 Virgina at 62.1
                  https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-ba...sions-per-game
                  Supports Jacks86. Daum shoots over 30% more FT's per possession than Wesson.

Comment

But he wasn't comparing the two players. He was just saying that if you are trying to keep Daum out of foul trouble, Wesson may not be the guy to have him guard

Comment

But he wasn't comparing the two players. He was just saying that if you are trying to keep Daum out of foul trouble, Wesson may not be the guy to have him guard
                      To compare apples to apples we would need Daum's FTs drawn per possession stats. Not sure where to go for that.

Comment

To compare apples to apples we would need Daum's FTs drawn per possession stats. Not sure where to go for that.
                        I was looking for those stats. I haven't found them, but what I have found is that neither is in the Top 100 in the NCAA in FT Attempts per FG Attempt nor are they in the Top 100 players in Defensive Plays per Foul.

Comment

I think that if we wanted to compare the "stars" of both teams, it would have to be Diop and Daum.

This discussion was about who does Daum guard that gives him the best chance to stay out of foul trouble. I don't know how it turned into a compare the players.

Comment

I work in statistics so I obsess over numbers a little too much, here are the two pages of our respective teams (scroll down for individual stats)
                            http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Ohio+St.
                            http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=South+Dakota+St.

Daum is at the 49th percentile compared to Wesson's 95th percentile because it is on per possession basis. Daum is getting significantly more minutes with significantly more usage which is causing the disparity also this can be expected based on playstyle as well, Daum works the perimeter while Kaleb is almost exclusively working out of the mid or low post.

EDIT: To clarify I was strictly talking about Daum staying out of foul trouble, not comparing them as players. There is no comparison between them, Daum is clearly far and away better.

Comment

I work in statistics so I obsess over numbers a little too much, here are the two pages of our respective teams (scroll down for individual stats)
                              http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Ohio+St.
                              http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=South+Dakota+St.

Daum is at the 49th percentile compared to Wesson's 95th percentile because it is on per possession basis. Daum is getting significantly more minutes with significantly more usage which is causing the disparity also this can be expected based on playstyle as well, Daum works the perimeter while Kaleb is almost exclusively working out of the mid or low post.
                              As the saying goes... There are 3 kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Comment

As the saying goes... There are 3 kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
                                Apparently Nagy is still our coach too.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X