X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jacks vs. Yotes - SLT (M) Championship

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    I have so much to say about this game.

Otz - a lot of credit to him, he made adjustments to how USD wanted to guard us, he kept Ian out of the game altogether tonight because he knew that he wasn't needed tonight, he held Daum out for 11:11 to end the first half (the guys made it easy on him by going on a run, but it's so surprising to see a star stay out that long)
    I was going to comment on the offensive game plan from TJ as well. Not sure if it was because Daum was out, but we spaced the floor and created driving lanes and USD really struggled to stop our dribble penetration. There were times there was no one in the lane when we had the ball. Made it tough to help and when they did collapse we got great looks from three.

Ian - I'm sure he would have loved to help out his team, but from what I could see, he was into the game and supportive and in good spirits
    I'm guessing they talked to Ian and he knew his minutes would be limited. He just doesn't match up well with USD. I love how Otz isn't afraid to play or not play different guys based on matchups. Our last coach was so stubborn that would never happen.

Key - when he plays smart, his quickness is an amazing weapon that most teams just don't have an answer for and it's so fun to watch
    Shout out to Key. His improvement from November to now is just amazing. He still has some WTF plays, but overall he's a positive. On the defensive end he's really really good.

Comment

Didn't bother to read the whole thread some of this may be redundant.

First off, can a day for a Jackrabbit fan get a whole lot better? Not only two more Summit League Tourney wins but over our biggest rival who had two very good teams. It was the dream scenario and ours came true and the Coyotes suffered a brutal day.

Second, David Jenkins Jr., simply wow! A true freshman that had an awful game on Saturday and was benched. My goodness did he respond! Not only scoring bucket after huge bucket when we really needed them but he played some fantastic defense on Mooney last night. David Jenkins Jr., defensive stopper? Hey, he was great last night. Plus, he never came out. Well played sir!

Third, what a way for those seniors to go out. A special bunch that will have their names forever linked with this program. Lane Severyn has really given this team some grit down the stretch. Telly had a quiet 18 and 11 last night when it kind of felt like he was struggling. Plus, he got a couple of his patented standing in there and taking a charge.

Finally, I want to acknowledge that the USD fans by and large were very classy in how they handled things this weekend. Sure, there were a few that were over the top. Guess what? We did too. The games, the excitement, and everything was what both teams wanted to have happen. An amazing environment. If you haven't had the chance, take a couple minutes and watch the USD post-game press conference. Mooney and Hagedorn showed a lot of class by taking questions, and giving the Jacks credit. Coach Smith gave a very classy post game presser. At the very end, he thanked everyone involved in putting on the tourney and said it was a great day for South Dakota. A tip of the cap to them for that. This rivalry is alive and well and is everything that you could want from it and it appears we have left behind the bad stuff from the old days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJcVJ8VOleI

I haven't taken the smile off my face yet. What a day to be a Jackrabbit!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

First off, congrats to USD on a great season. I didnt feel comfortable last night until about 30 seconds left, just always felt they were on the verge of a huge run but it never happened. I feel they are definitely in the top 68 teams in the nation but won't get invited to the tournament. I would think if they can refocus they will make some noise in the NIT.

Second, as great as our star players are, I feel a huge amount of credit this year goes to our role players. Brandon Key went from starting the season, to not playing at all a few games, to now being a game changer when hes in there. Lane Severyn didn't play any significant minutes this year until the last 5 games, and with how he is playing now you would swear he'd been playing 20 minutes a game all year. Ian Theisen didn;t play last night, but his body language on the bench never suggested any resentment to his team or coach. Depending on the draw we get he could be needed big minutes in the tournament and I'm sure he will respond. Even Chris Howell, who went from starter last year to not playing at all this year is still engaged with his teammates, rebounding for them and helping them out in warmups. Would be very easy for him to hang his head at the end of the bench but he hasn't. Any one of those guys could have had a bad attitude about their playing time or roles that could have affected the chemistry of the team and they haven't. Shows what kind of character they and Coach Otz have, so kudos to them on really rounding out this team to what they are

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          Didn't bother to read the whole thread some of this may be redundant.

First off, can a day for a Jackrabbit fan get a whole lot better? Not only two more Summit League Tourney wins but over our biggest rival who had two very good teams. It was the dream scenario and ours came true and the Coyotes suffered a brutal day.

Second, David Jenkins Jr., simply wow! A true freshman that had an awful game on Saturday and was benched. My goodness did he respond! Not only scoring bucket after huge bucket when we really needed them but he played some fantastic defense on Mooney last night. David Jenkins Jr., defensive stopper? Hey, he was great last night. Plus, he never came out. Well played sir!

Third, what a way for those seniors to go out. A special bunch that will have their names forever linked with this program. Lane Severyn has really given this team some grit down the stretch. Telly had a quiet 18 and 11 last night when it kind of felt like he was struggling. Plus, he got a couple of his patented standing in there and taking a charge.

Finally, I want to acknowledge that the USD fans by and large were very classy in how they handled things this weekend. Sure, there were a few that were over the top. Guess what? We did too. The games, the excitement, and everything was what both teams wanted to have happen. An amazing environment. If you haven't had the chance, take a couple minutes and watch the USD post-game press conference. Mooney and Hagedorn showed a lot of class by taking questions, and giving the Jacks credit. Coach Smith gave a very classy post game presser. At the very end, he thanked everyone involved in putting on the tourney and said it was a great day for South Dakota. A tip of the cap to them for that. This rivalry is alive and well and is everything that you could want from it and it appears we have left behind the bad stuff from the old days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJcVJ8VOleI

I haven't taken the smile off my face yet. What a day to be a Jackrabbit!

SUPERBUNNY
          I'm not a huge fan of Craig Smith's sideline antics but lots of class in this press conference. Thanks for sharing Superbunny!

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
            First off, congrats to USD on a great season. I didnt feel comfortable last night until about 30 seconds left, just always felt they were on the verge of a huge run but it never happened. I feel they are definitely in the top 68 teams in the nation but won't get invited to the tournament. I would think if they can refocus they will make some noise in the NIT.

Second, as great as our star players are, I feel a huge amount of credit this year goes to our role players. Brandon Key went from starting the season, to not playing at all a few games, to now being a game changer when hes in there. Lane Severyn didn't play any significant minutes this year until the last 5 games, and with how he is playing now you would swear he'd been playing 20 minutes a game all year. Ian Theisen didn;t play last night, but his body language on the bench never suggested any resentment to his team or coach. Depending on the draw we get he could be needed big minutes in the tournament and I'm sure he will respond. Even Chris Howell, who went from starter last year to not playing at all this year is still engaged with his teammates, rebounding for them and helping them out in warmups. Would be very easy for him to hang his head at the end of the bench but he hasn't. Any one of those guys could have had a bad attitude about their playing time or roles that could have affected the chemistry of the team and they haven't. Shows what kind of character they and Coach Otz have, so kudos to them on really rounding out this team to what they are
            I never felt comfortable, but I was never worried either...it was a weird way to watch a basketball game.

I think the "key" to Brandon's success has been his ability to defend. He had become a good on-ball defender. If he can continue that, along with his ability to drive and finish, he will be a very valuable player next year
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              I'm not a huge fan of Craig Smith's sideline antics but lots of class in this press conference. Thanks for sharing Superbunny!
              I really want to see Smith stay at USD for at least another year. He is good for the league, as is TJ. Both seem to be good guys, who recruit well and can flat out coach. The league is better the longer we can keep the two around.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurabbit View Post
                I don't know about y'all, but because of his nasty block in a similar situation in last years tournament, I was out of my seat when King was half way down the court screaming here comes a King block....glad he pulled it off or I would've looked pretty silly.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                  I don't know about y'all, but because of his nasty block in a similar situation in last years tournament, I was out of my seat when King was half way down the court screaming here comes a King block....glad he pulled it off or I would've looked pretty silly.
                  I love how he is timing up his steps at about half court.
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                    I love how he is timing up his steps at about half court.
                    You knew immediately he was either going to block it or hammer the guy!

Comment

Props need to be given to the students - Their section was jam-packed !

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        Props need to be given to the students - Their section was jam-packed !
                        Agreed - I was a little disappointed in the student turnout for the women's game but they made up for it at the men's game!

Comment

Yesterday was pretty neat, let me tell ya. Kudos to all the Jackrabbit and Yote fans that attended the games yesterday, the atmosphere really came through on the picture box.

Comment

I had never read the USD board, but did today to see some reaction. Our beloved Coyote Fan is complaining about the advantage we got from the crowd last night. Wants to move the tournament, or team up with NDSU to petition into the MVC because they've got a better shot of winning the MVC than the Summit. The dude is all time dumb.

It's really a shame the Summit League only sells tickets to Jackrabbit fans.

Comment

He must not be paying attention to all the conference tournaments that are held at the home gym of the high seed in all those small conferences out east. Would they rather come to frost?

Unbelievable day yesterday. Few too many fouls called for my taste, you knew it was going to be a physical game. I was at the horribly officiated Denver game, so I had to check on the refs from last night. One of the game refs and the alternate were two of the three that did the Denver game. Should have been expecting a good bit of foul trouble last night in hindsight

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                I had never read the USD board, but did today to see some reaction. Our beloved Coyote Fan is complaining about the advantage we got from the crowd last night. Wants to move the tournament, or team up with NDSU to petition into the MVC because they've got a better shot of winning the MVC than the Summit. The dude is all time dumb.

It's really a shame the Summit League only sells tickets to Jackrabbit fans.
                                And I think that 95% of active Yote message board folks think about him the same way you do. Dude is super negative about the program anytime they lose and that doubles when it is a loss to SDSU. Message boards are like figure skating judges...you have to throw out the highest and the lowest scores before giving a score to the forum.
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X