Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stig Arreates for DUI

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    Ahh, I missed your voice of reason and kindness, TK.

What I was "taking them to task for" was the possibility (note I said "if it wasn't Joose") that the report mentioned only the word "juice" and the media assumed this was referencing "Joose." Now, if the report has an account like "Officer Smith approached suspect's Malibu, smelled alcohol, and asked suspect if he had been drinking. Suspect responded 'I drank some juice at home.' And Officer asked, 'Juice?' Suspect said 'Yes, the canned malt beverage'" or "Suspect pointed to a can of Joose-brand liquor," that would be another matter.

I couldn't locate the arrest report online. Maybe you did, or maybe you just wanted to call me an idiot. Either way, mission accomplished.

I made it my New Year's resolution to have your magnanimity, intelligence, and web usage prowess. Thank you for refocusing my initiative with more of your constructive criticism and perpetual positivity.
    The arrest report was on several websites yesterday. It specifically said "Joose". Do you really expect the news media to discredit the arrest report?

I wouldn't get mad at TK because you were too lazy to find and read the arrest report. Nothing the media (at least from what I saw) reported yesterday was factually incorrect based on the police report. Hell, Stig himself confirmed most of it.

At any rate does it really matter if he wasn't drinking Joose?

Comment

• Re: Stig Arrested for DUI

Originally posted by scbison View Post
      In my opinion the fact that this was known in Brookings a the PD and didn't get out for 30 days is more amazing. Also, with the Jacks not having the media jackals following the police blotter nightly in town it slipped by. In Fargo this would not have happened as Forum follows the arrest reports diligently. I think Matt Zimmer is not wanting to rock the boat and get kicked out of practice
      I also can't believe this didn't get out. The fact that he just told his players yesterday means it was held pretty tight to the vest. I'm curious if Matt Zimmer knew anything prior to yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        The arrest report was on several websites yesterday. It specifically said "Joose". Do you really expect the news media to discredit the arrest report?

I wouldn't get mad at TK because you were too lazy to find and read the arrest report. Nothing the media (at least from what I saw) reported yesterday was factually incorrect based on the police report. Hell, Stig himself confirmed most of it.

At any rate does it really matter if he wasn't drinking Joose?
        I can picture Stig’s attorney questioning the officer about the Joose reference in his/her report.

Comment

What difference does it make if it was Joose or wine? As for this "finally coming out" (insert conspiracy theories here), what does it matter? Stig is being treated like any other citizen of Brookings. Anyone getting arrested for DUI goes through the same time process. I think the participants of this site would be surprised by the names of some of the people who are supposedly high profile individuals and their names only appear in the Court Report (Brookings Register) after sentencing. Again, just like anyone else.

Stig made a mistake. He is taking a public beating. No one feels worse than he does and he is sincerely sorry for what he did. He has taken responsibility. Let's move on.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
            He was the States Attorney when I went through my ordeal as well. He treated me fairly with the charges. I was wrong in my actions and took my punishment. I was told if my BAC had been lower I could have gotten a lawyer and tried to argue it down to wreckless.

My roommates and I had court the same time others were charged with the same offense. They had kegs and around 50 underages at there party. got I think $1000 dollar fine and weeks in jail. we were up next, we had a few 6 packs and about half underage and half 21 and I was the only one who was 21 living there. so we were a bit worried after seeing what they had, well since we didn't have large amounts and people brought their own, I didn't get any extra trouble, it was 200 fine I think and suspended jail time which after the fact seemed more then reasonable after seeing 3 others with the same charge head to jail in front of us. As I understood brookings was hard on drugs and alcohol because of Clyde, I made plently of mistakes and thankfully don't have to air all my dirty laundry, thankfully, most move on from those days of bad decisions. I know I sure did. Use to drive buzzed in college all the time. One day I woke up after time traveling(blacking out) and I was home and my car was too and I don't remember how it got home, after that it was count my blessings and I don't even like to drive after just 1 drink. its not worth it. Since having kids, its not that I don't trust my self, but don't trust others out there. Not just drugs or alcohol but sleep depreived and other distractions, I don't like taking the risk anymore. not worth it.

Now with Uber and such in Sf and more and more places, hopefully that really makes it easier for someone to get a ride even though cabs were always available.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The Police report posted by TK says the officer was not able to obtain a PBT, a preliminary breath test. I have no idea under SD law if this implies guilt? It certainly does help the defense in court.

Comment

To answer the questions on why it matters if it was actually Joose or not... 9-14% doesn't sound like a whole lot more ABV than beer, but it is when you can consume it so quickly. 24 oz. is almost 750 mL, which is a standard wine bottle containing 6 normal size glasses of wine. If you slug down a whole bottle of wine in a half hour, you're going to feel it. Just like you would feel the effects of Joose. Your BAC would definitely see the effects as well. It's also equivalent to 3-4 beers depending on alcohol content. Taking 3-4 down in a half hour is a solid pace. I'll guarantee you that drinking a full can of Joose quickly is much easier than a full bottle of wine, it's carbonated and sweetened. If you portion it out into 6 glasses and drank them as slow as wine, then it would have the same effect. But that's not why they made Joose and that's not why people drink it.

Long story short, Joose will f*** you up. So it's a big difference if he had wine instead of Joose. Just like it's a big difference if his BAC was 0.081 or 0.243. Both unclear at this point, both very important.

Comment

So the Joose pros say ABV is 9-14%. Do you consider that wine is 11.6% plus? Since I have slurped a few wines over the years, I can tell you that it is possible to become inebriated from the grape quite easily. Wine > beer. Wine = Joose. This argument about Joose < convincing. Basketball tomorrow. I will be interested how many are still chattering during the games over here!
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    The Police report posted by TK says the officer was not able to obtain a PBT, a preliminary breath test. I have no idea under SD law if this implies guilt? It certainly does help the defense in court.
                    Does this imply guilt? I think it could imply many things...faulty breathylizer, lack of batteries, lack of a machine, no straws on hand. I think the statement that would imply guilt is, “suspect refused PBT.”

just a thought...

Comment

Joose vs Wine is significant for a couple of different reasons. One is a credibility issue. Stig is saying that he never told officers that he was drinking joose and he says he had a little wine on an empty stomach. If his BAC comes back around the .08 then I might believe him. If it comes back closer to the .2 that I think it will then I would say the police report was probably accurate and I would say he's obviously a more experienced drinker than he has let on.
                      It's also significant because if he was truly drinking joose then that would raise some red flags. People don't casually drink joose for the taste of it. You drink it to get drunk, and to get drunk quickly. It's not something a novice drinker would choose.
                      Officer was not able to obtain a PBT normally means the suspect was too drunk to give a sufficient sample.

Comment

According to the police report, there are no readings. At the detention center did he refuse a blood sample? Who knows? Its the officer conclusion that it was greater than .08 which by law implies driving under the influence. If Clyde Calhoun was still the states attorney, he would not be trying to prove guilt as its the police opinion vs the defendant who may or may not admit guilt and his own bias might just let the defendant walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                          Does this imply guilt? I think it could imply many things...faulty breathylizer, lack of batteries, lack of a machine, no straws on hand. I think the statement that would imply guilt is, “suspect refused PBT.”

just a thought...
                          Opps I meant to say : It certainly does NOT help the defense in court. I do get your point. In 1973, I was in a padded cell and they held me down and took a blood sample, which was with much more than .08, more like .25,I am sure, and in the process I kicked the jailer in the spine and this was on a late Saturday night-early Sunday morning. On Monday Morning , in court the judge read to my surprise the jailer's complaint which was thrown out by the judge. I was asked by the Judge if I had a drinking problem to which I answered a resounding NO. Here I was in an Orange County court room with 40 other arrested drunks. That was a big mistake, the judge was trying to help me. I had no attorney, big mistake 2.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 03-02-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yote4life View Post
                            Joose vs Wine is significant for a couple of different reasons. One is a credibility issue. Stig is saying that he never told officers that he was drinking joose and he says he had a little wine on an empty stomach. If his BAC comes back around the .08 then I might believe him. If it comes back closer to the .2 that I think it will then I would say the police report was probably accurate and I would say he's obviously a more experienced drinker than he has let on.
                            It's also significant because if he was truly drinking joose then that would raise some red flags. People don't casually drink joose for the taste of it. You drink it to get drunk, and to get drunk quickly. It's not something a novice drinker would choose.
                            Officer was not able to obtain a PBT normally means the suspect was too drunk to give a sufficient sample.
                            How does Joose differ from Gin, Whiskey, Scotch, Bourbon, or Vodka? It would seem that using your argument that anyone who drinks more than 3.2% beer is raising red flags. There are many who would not drink any of those without a mixer to subdue the flavor. These arguments are confusing and inconsistent with reality. How many enjoy the flavor of Drambuie? I do, but I know many who need a mixer to consume. If Joose is part energy drink, it may be real consistent with doing taxes since it was late and attention to detail is needed. Where are we getting all this information to say someone cannot drink Joose casually and it is the choice of alcoholics? I am sure there is some empirical information out there that extends beyond some "casual" blogger. I will need to accept your speculation that a PBT was unavailable due to the listed reason since that is likely the only reason for an outcome of negative. The only thing I know is true is that Stig has admitted to an indiscretion and he will have his day in court.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by yote4life View Post
                              I think we will find out on March 6 as to how important the Joose was in this affair.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                                To answer the questions on why it matters if it was actually Joose or not... 9-14% doesn't sound like a whole lot more ABV than beer, but it is when you can consume it so quickly. 24 oz. is almost 750 mL, which is a standard wine bottle containing 6 normal size glasses of wine. If you slug down a whole bottle of wine in a half hour, you're going to feel it. Just like you would feel the effects of Joose. Your BAC would definitely see the effects as well. It's also equivalent to 3-4 beers depending on alcohol content. Taking 3-4 down in a half hour is a solid pace. I'll guarantee you that drinking a full can of Joose quickly is much easier than a full bottle of wine, it's carbonated and sweetened. If you portion it out into 6 glasses and drank them as slow as wine, then it would have the same effect. But that's not why they made Joose and that's not why people drink it.

Long story short, Joose will f*** you up. So it's a big difference if he had wine instead of Joose. Just like it's a big difference if his BAC was 0.081 or 0.243. Both unclear at this point, both very important.
                                Sure it will **** you up, but where you following Stig around on Saturday January 27th?

Comment

Working...
                                X