No announcement yet.

On Line Courses and college athletics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Line Courses and college athletics.

Having swam through a bunch of articles on the recent scandal in Basketball at U of Northern Colorado, most of the infractions that NCAA handed to UNC related to coaches completing courses for their players. On line courses is something very novel for an old guy like me. How in the world does a coach complete an algebra course without showing up for class? The answer online courses. Does the instructor of these courses or the administration that monitors these courses have any control over the identity of who is participating? How often is this kind of fraud going on?

Re: On Line Courses and college athletics.

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Having swam through a bunch of articles on the recent scandal in Basketball at U of Northern Colorado, most of the infractions that NCAA handed to UNC related to coaches completing courses for their players. On line courses is something very novel for an old guy like me. How in the world does a coach complete an algebra course without showing up for class? The answer online courses. Does the instructor of these courses or the administration that monitors these courses have any control over the identity of who is participating? How often is this kind of fraud going on?
    Very disturbing there isn't a verification process to verify the person who's actually taking the test, I agree ,the degree isn't worth the paper it's wrote on if this is true.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Very disturbing there isn't a verification process to verify the person who's actually taking the test, I agree ,the degree isn't worth the paper it's wrote on if this is true.
      I think some UNC employee that is not part of the Athletic Department got wise to what was going on and brought to the Admin's attention, otherwise how would the NCAA have gotten involved, it was self reported to the NCAA. All the security questions that are built into the system can not prevent this unless a skype type of test was preformed for the test, meaning the test taker would have to identify his self through skype identification or some similar test, but I suppose that could be circumvented too.

It would be helpful if someone involved in administrating online courses could comment here.

Comment

I wasn’t an athlete is college but my last year of school I took all online classes. About half of them were completely online and there would be almost no way to know who was taking the test but the other half all of the tests had to be proctered so I had to go to the public library here in Brookings and take it in front of someone their that was registered to proctor exams and than I had to give them the test when I was done and they sent it back to my professor.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
          I wasn’t an athlete is college but my last year of school I took all online classes. About half of them were completely online and there would be almost no way to know who was taking the test but the other half all of the tests had to be proctered so I had to go to the public library here in Brookings and take it in front of someone their that was registered to proctor exams and than I had to give them the test when I was done and they sent it back to my professor.
          Thanks this give me some satisfaction as to how SDSU handles these courses, and I think most NCAA members need some oversight over the athletic departments and how the SA complete these courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
            My situation was similar. Even classroom classes are using online assignments, test, message boards, etc as part of their class these days. Some have timed test, some have locked test, some have proctored test.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              My situation was similar. Even classroom classes are using online assignments, test, message boards, etc as part of their class these days. Some have timed test, some have locked test, some have proctored test.
              Apparently there are all sorts of checks and balances. Too bad, B.J. Hill did not figure that out before he took the short cuts.

Comment

Working...
              X