Class AA Sweet 16 - Empty Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class AA Sweet 16 - Empty Seat

Why does the South Dakota Activities Association not have the wherewithal to schedule their Sweet 16 games on a night when The Summit League Tournament is not being played? Why would the try and take on the SLT for paying customers? Does anyone at the SDAA think beyond their own event?

I would like to support both my community and the Rabbits. Due to schedule I can't do both. I know where I will be Saturday night at 6:00 pm - The Denny. These games should've been played on Friday night. I know when east meets west travel is a concern, but I believe there will be many empty seats at these State Tournament qualifier games.

Just food for thought......

Go Rabbits!

Re: Class AA Sweet 16 - Empty Seat

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
    Why does the South Dakota Activities Association not have the wherewithal to schedule their Sweet 16 games on a night when The Summit League Tournament is not being played? Why would the try and take on the SLT for paying customers? Does anyone at the SDAA think beyond their own event?

I would like to support both my community and the Rabbits. Due to schedule I can't do both. I know where I will be Saturday night at 6:00 pm - The Denny. These games should've been played on Friday night. I know when east meets west travel is a concern, but I believe there will be many empty seats at these State Tournament qualifier games.

Just food for thought......

Go Rabbits!
    I have said this for years! This is a simple problem to fix but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Same feelings here. It also goes during the fall football season when local high schools schedule football games on Saturdays when USD or SDSU have home games. I understand the Saturday HS football games are usually the big dollar money generating games but I still don't get it.

Comment

I think it's just part of a general sentiment in the state outside of Brookings and Vermillion. High school sports are well supported in South Dakota, which is a good thing. But I think some of that support comes at the expense of the two larger college''s support. Things like the summit tournament probably don't register in the radar to the people charged with planning these things, let alone some of the parents who will be attending.

I've lived in South Dakota for close to ten years now, and I've met a lot of people who thought nothing of driving 3+ hours back home on a weekend for their high school football game, well after they were out of high school and they didn't have kids playing in the game. I've certainly known many SDSU students who skipped home Jacks football games for a high school game back home.
        I think that's insane, but it's part of the culture. And it's exactly why we see this apparent lack of planning from SDHSAA: they aren't concerned about the SLT, and I'm betting most of the people going to the HS tournament don't care too much either.

Comment

Goes along with the general mindset that SDSU and USD aren't at the pinnacle of everyone's minds when making decisions like this. The 4000-6500 people in the Denny on Saturday doesn't have a big influence on when dates and times are selected for HS playoff games. Most of us on here lean toward thinking that Jackrabbit athletics is or should be the highest priority for people. But outside of that small, loyal fan base we have that shows up to most of our events....it isn't. Same reason we only can fill half our football stadium for a quarter-final playoff game.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            Goes along with the general mindset that SDSU and USD aren't at the pinnacle of everyone's minds when making decisions like this. The 4000-6500 people in the Denny on Saturday doesn't have a big influence on when dates and times are selected for HS playoff games. Most of us on here lean toward thinking that Jackrabbit athletics is or should be the highest priority for people. But outside of that small, loyal fan base we have that shows up to most of our events....it isn't. Same reason we only can fill half our football stadium for a quarter-final playoff game.
            We don't have enough people to be splitting them up! If you want to maximize attendance at all events figure it out!

Comment

Here's my view: If you're not consistently and repeatedly complaining to your local high school and to the SDHSAA about the issue of counter-scheduling against SDSU or USD athletic events, it's not an important issue. If enough people b!tch, the scheduling will change - - - at least to the extent that it's possible to change.

However . . . the Summit League tournament takes up one entire weekend in March. Kind of unreasonable to have the high schools just take that weekend off completely, don't you think? Maybe instead work on SDSU and USD and the BOR to move the spring break week one week back so that more students are around for the SLT, perhaps?
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                I think it’s building a culture, I’m not sure what we can do for basketball games but you can see it’s starting to grow. Most schools have really bad attendance in the playoffs. If we get to the point where it’s a regular thing to have home games then I’m sure it will keep improving. However I think every coach in our athletic department should be taking classes from Bono on how to build a rabid fanbase. What he’s doing is something absolutely incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I wasn't trying to start debate about our fan base and programs. I just don't understand why the high school games would want to compete with the Summit League Tournament when they're not forced to. Friday night would've been the better solution. I know my family would've been supporting our local teams on Friday night. Saturday no can do. Four people less attending. I was out with a friend who attends Lincoln b-ball games. His family of three is heading to the SLT Saturday night. Three less in the stands @ Lincoln. It just doesn't make sense to me. That's all.....

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Working...
                  X