SL Indoors: Jacks Men 2; Jacks Women 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL Indoors: Jacks Men 2; Jacks Women 4

The Jackrabbit men were runners-up to NDSU at the 2018 Summit League Indoor Track & Field Championships. The Jacks Women finished fourth.

Here's the story link to GoJacks.com which has internal links to the official results.
    http://www.gojacks.com/news/2018/2/2...px?path=mtrack

Three Jacks received outstanding athlete awards:

Kyle Burdick was named Most Outstanding Male Performer (won the mile and the 3000 meter races and was second -- to teammate Chase Cayo -- at 5000 meters).

Bryant Courter was selected MVP for field performers, winning the triple jump with school and SL championship records and was second in the long jump and high jump.

Rachel King was selected MVP for track athletes, winning the mile, the 3000m and finishing second in the 5000m.
    Last edited by JackJD; 02-26-2018, 07:44 PM.

Re: SL Indoors: Jacks Men 2; Jacks Women 4

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    The Jackrabbit men were runners-up to NDSU at the 2018 Summit League Indoor Track & Field Championships. The Jacks Women finished fourth.

Here's the story link to GoJacks.com which has internal links to the official results.

Three Jacks received outstanding athlete awards:

Kyle Burdick was named Most Outstanding Male Performer (won the mile and the 3000 meter races and was second -- to teammate Chase Cayo -- at 5000 meters).

Bryant Courter was selected MVP for field performers, winning the triple jump with school and SL championship records and was second in the long jump and high jump.

Rachel King was selected MVP for track athletes, winning the mile, the 3000m and finishing second in the 5000m.
    JackJD, I'm curious why our sprint athletes aren't more competitive? I don't know anything about track. I have heard that on the men's side there is virtually zero budget for scholarships. Do you know if that is true? We seem to hold our own in the field events and then consistently dominate the distance events.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      JackJD, I'm curious why our sprint athletes aren't more competitive? I don't know anything about track. I have heard that on the men's side there is virtually zero budget for scholarships. Do you know if that is true? We seem to hold our own in the field events and then consistently dominate the distance events.
      SDSU has had dominant distance runners for decades. Our field events are showing steady improvement. We had good sprinters but I think the conference is pretty competitive in the sprints (e.g. a few years ago the NCAA Natl' champ in men's 400 was an ORU guy).

I don't have information on the status of scholarships but I think the programs are making progress and I expect that will continue. We have great facilities and are attracting good recruits.

Comment

SDSU has had dominant distance runners for decades. Our field events are showing steady improvement. We had good sprinters but I think the conference is pretty competitive in the sprints (e.g. a few years ago the NCAA Natl' champ in men's 400 was an ORU guy).

I don't have information on the status of scholarships but I think the programs are making progress and I expect that will continue. We have great facilities and are attracting good recruits.
        Distance is what our coach is known for.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
          I'm glad you said...no...nevermind.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

NDSU has been an exceptional track program for some time ( Head Coach Don Larson was a Jackrabbit All American in 400m hurdles) and SDSU is closing the gap. Coach DeHaven is building balance and his teams are now always in the hunt for the conf title in a conference in which the top three or four teams are quite good.
            Last edited by JackJD; 02-27-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

NDSU has bee can an exceptional track program for some time ( Head Coach Don Larson was a Jackrabbit All American in 400m hurdles) and SDSU is closing the gap. Coach DeHaven is building balance and his teams are now always in the hunt for the conf title in a conference in which the top three or four teams are quite good.
              All true I am certain, and it seems like there are track endowments which would provide some scholarship money. There might not be scholarship money in the current budget, but advancement in the Big Dance might help us out in that respect with more cash but then that helps everyone in the SL. Track is a non revenue sport so we have a handicap there. If our football average attendance could match NDSU then possibly the budget problem is solved. Otherwise we need a few more endowments to keep it going. The current philosophy of moving endowments to a back seat in favor of direct payments to the Jackrabbit Club does not help either, but that's a sore subject with me. Enough said.

The Prairie Striders, the Brookings-SDSU running club is raising funds to provide another scholarship if I am not mistaken. The foundation used to print all the disclosures about each endowment, but they have stopped doing that so its hard to tell where the track program stands in terms of scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                I am just going to assume that SDSU has less coaches and less scholarships than NDSU and USD but don't know that for sure.
                Rod was an olympian but he seems to only be able to bring in men distance runners not women. SDSU might have 1 or 2 good female long distance runners but have they won the conference cross country meet in the last 10 years? I wish USD wouldn't beat us in that every year.
                USD has a olympic pole vaulter as a coach and he can bring both men and women plot vaulters too the NCAA's.
                I heard that Maci Heinz wanted to look at SDSU, USD and Kansas State when she was deciding where to go to college to. They told me that SDSU didn't even contact her. I don't know if they didn't think she could specialize in an event, not recover from her injury or what.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  I am just going to assume that SDSU has less coaches and less scholarships than NDSU and USD but don't know that for sure.
                  You're right: you don't know.

Rod was an olympian but he seems to only be able to bring in men distance runners not women. SDSU might have 1 or 2 good female long distance runners but have they won the conference cross country meet in the last 10 years? I wish USD wouldn't beat us in that every year.
                  You haven't even attempted to look up the actual facts. Going back 10 years as you suggested: The SDSU women won the Summit League XC title in 2008 and were the runnersup in 2007, 2013, 2015 and 2016. USD has won the SL XC title in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. The NDSU women won the title in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and were runnersup in 2009 and 2017. SDSU women finished third in 2017. [SDSU men have won the SL XC title in the following years: 09; 10; 12; 13; 16 and 17; and have been runnersup in 14 & 15.]

Summit League Cross Country results may be reviewed on the Summit League website:
                  http://www.thesummitleague.org/Recor...ossCountry.pdf

USD has a olympic pole vaulter as a coach and he can bring both men and women plot vaulters too the NCAA's.
                  Yes, USD has a very good pole vault coach, a former Olympian who pole vaulted for USD (won a DII National Title). The Dakota Dome is an excellent facility for indoor pole vaulting -- in fact, it's an excellent facility for outdoor pole vaulting. So, USD has a big-name coach and a good facility, both of which are attractive to pole vault recruits (USD's top men's vaulter this year, a sophomore named Nielsen, has gone over 19 feet this year and is #7 or #8 in the world this year). SDSU's new SJAC is an excellent facility for pole vaulting too and if you follow the progress of SDSU vaulters, you'll see that they continue to get better.

I heard that Maci Heinz wanted to look at SDSU, USD and Kansas State when she was deciding where to go to college to. They told me that SDSU didn't even contact her. I don't know if they didn't think she could specialize in an event, not recover from her injury or what.
                  I didn't hear that. Are you sure your sources knew what the facts were? [Macy Heinz redshirted for the 2017 season.]
                  Last edited by JackJD; 02-27-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Macy Heinz recruiting story. https://www.yankton.net/sports/artic...8b05a.html#ath
                    Also of note their was a Heinz from Ipswich on SDSU women’s team last year (I think Macy’s cousin).

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      Macy Heinz recruiting story. https://www.yankton.net/sports/artic...8b05a.html#ath
                      Also of note their was a Heinz from Ipswich on SDSU women’s team last year (I think Macy’s cousin).
                      Before we all get our underwear in knots, this article is dated Nov 2016 and not Feb 2018. I am totally ignorant of CC runners and had no idea who Macy Heinz was, and we did miss an opportunity here. The way Hoeck wrote his article, it was a USD slam dunk. And good for Macy. I hope she does well.

Comment

[QUOTE=JackJD;328102]
                        You haven't even attempted to look up the actual facts. Going back 10 years as you suggested: The SDSU women won the Summit League XC title in 2008 and were the runnersup in 2007, 2013, 2015 and 2016. USD has won the SL XC title in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. The NDSU women won the title in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and were runnersup in 2009 and 2017. SDSU women finished third in 2017. [SDSU men have won the SL XC title in the following years: 09; 10; 12; 13; 16 and 17; and have been runnersup in 14 & 15.]

I guess I was wrong on a couple of points.
                        1) I asked if SDSU's women's cross country team has won the conference meet title in the last 10 years and they did win the conference meet exactly 10 years ago. That was before USD was in the conference.
                        2) SDSU did beat USD in women's cross country in 2011 and 2013 so SDSU has beat the twice since they joined the conference.That means they do not get beat by USD every year.
                        Sorry for not looking but I wasn't off by much.

SDSU's men on the other hand are either winning or second about every year. I just wish the women's team could win every other year or so. They are getting second so they are right there.
                        Last edited by 91jack; 02-28-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

My desire for us to dethrone NDSU in track and field sometime soon is starting to really take off now. Mostly because my wife’s best friend is engaged to a former NDSU pole vaulter so we talk some smack back and forth. Fun fact, he really really doesn’t like USeD either. So, there’s common ground for everyone right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            Fun fact, he really really doesn’t like USeD either. So, there’s common ground for everyone right?

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                              Fight the power, EvoP, Fight it!
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X