X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Recruiting List

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    To be fair, Zimmer has his hands full with covering pretty much half of all topics at the Argus for sports. He's not just covering SDSU, he's also trying to cover Augie, USF, high school, and everything else they throw at him.
    That other stuff isn't his job though... he chooses to do that stuff 'for fun'.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      From what I can tell, the two that are on Zim's list that aren't on this list are:

Isaac Appleget, 6-2, 190, Lincoln, Neb.
      Other offers: USD, Indiana State, Austin Peay
      Twitter Announcement: https://twitter.com/isaacappleget/st...67798687649792

Steven Arrell, 6-2, 185, Osseo, Minn.
      Other offers: multiple D2 teams
      Twitter: No Announement - https://twitter.com/ArrellSteven

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
      One name on Zim’s list that hasn’t been reported here.
      Steven Arrell, 6-2, 185, Osseo, Minn.
      Other offers: multiple D2 teams

Also Zim has Isaiah Stalbard, transfer from Nebraska coming to SDSU. He was a walk-on DB at Nebraska.

*Now he has updated it to 26 players (down from 27) and removed Isaiah Stalbard, Nebraska transfer. So either he is removing Isaiah because he is a transfer or he isn't coming to SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        This is what happens when you don’t give a **** about recruitment until two days before signing day.
        Again Terry Vandrovec cared about recruiting and I don't think Zim has the passion for it. Thankfully you and others do!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Again Terry Vandrovec cared about covering SDSU sports and I don't think Zim has the passion for it. Thankfully you and others do!
          Fixed it for ya.

Comment

Another interesting thing I noticed is Zimmer lists some other offers that weren't reported by the recruits. Apparently the Kusler twins had NDSU offers, Baloun, Van Meter and Appleget had USD offers, Davis and Gronowski from "multiple valley teams", Dustman had PWOs from Minnesota and Wisconsin, and Mueller had a PWO from Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              Fixed it for ya.
              Yup. I won't go into it here, but Zimmer is and always has been a D2 fanboy, and I think the best thing for him, the Argus, and SDSU would be to go back to covering the local NSIC scene full time and hire someone new for the SDSU beat writer. I'm not saying I want a beat writer who never writes a critical piece (I enjoy most of Matt's articles), but I could do without the sarcasm and arrogance in his twitter presence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                Yup. I won't go into it here, but Zimmer is and always has been a D2 fanboy, and I think the best thing for him, the Argus, and SDSU would be to go back to covering the local NSIC scene full time and hire someone new for the SDSU beat writer. I'm not saying I want a beat writer who never writes a critical piece (I enjoy most of Matt's articles), but I could do without the sarcasm and arrogance in his twitter presence.
                I don't mind the sarcasm, people say a lot of stupid things to him on twitter. I'd get tired of it too. I think Zimmer does a good job and we are lucky to have a beat writer. We don't want to end up with a 1/4 time beat writer like USeD has now.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                  I don't mind the sarcasm, people say a lot of stupid things to him on twitter. I'd get tired of it too. I think Zimmer does a good job and we are lucky to have a beat writer. We don't want to end up with a 1/4 time beat writer like USeD has now.
                  I agree with this. Zimmer does just fine in my opinion and i really enjoy his writing and his personality/sarcasm on Twitter. With the state of the newspaper industry, we are fortunate to have anyone.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    That other stuff isn't his job though... he chooses to do that stuff 'for fun'.
                    What an asinine comment. As a sports reporter at a paper that only has two full-time sports reporters, those are all part of his job. He does't choose to cover high school sports, Augie or USF for fun. That is assigned to him by the Argus, with SDSU being his main beat.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                      What an asinine comment. As a sports reporter at a paper that only has two full-time sports reporters, those are all part of his job. He does't choose to cover high school sports, Augie or USF for fun. That is assigned to him by the Argus, with SDSU being his main beat.
                      Well... those were his words, so...

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                        Sorry, I misquoted him... Here are literally his words...

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...466308096?s=20

Not so asinine now, eh?

Comment

I think this class is a game changer and will move the Jacks to the next level!

Comment

Recruiting is so interesting to me. Seems there isn’t a ton of hype around this class but I remember a couple years ago when there was a ton of hype with Daniel Callendar and other people and that class didn’t turn out great. This years class looks solid all the way around. Development is key for any recruiting class. Are any of these players enrolling early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                              Recruiting is so interesting to me. Seems there isn’t a ton of hype around this class but I remember a couple years ago when there was a ton of hype with Daniel Callendar and other people and that class didn’t turn out great. This years class looks solid all the way around. Development is key for any recruiting class. Are any of these players enrolling early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bet if you look back through the years better than 50% of the so-called "big-time" recruits don't pan out.

It's such a crap shoot, especially in football with injuries and then development whether that's the coaches or the actual player putting the work in. Daniel Callender was one that EVERYONE on here seemed to think was this can't miss stud. Turned into a dud. On the flip side you have Dallas Goedert. He was a preferred walk-on.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                I'll bet if you look back through the years better than 50% of the so-called "big-time" recruits don't pan out.

It's such a crap shoot, especially in football with injuries and then development whether that's the coaches or the actual player putting the work in. Daniel Callender was one that EVERYONE on here seemed to think was this can't miss stud. Turned into a dud. On the flip side you have Dallas Goedert. He was a preferred walk-on.
                                Most of our best players have been unheralded.

Zenner, Goedert, Wieneke, Brown, Rozeboom, Johnson, Strong.

I don't think any of them were hyped all that much on signing day.

Comment

Working...
                                X