X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
    I know the rules have been gone over to death, but will he be eligible immediately? Also, will he enroll in January and participate in Spring ball?
    Yes and yes.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      Yes and yes.
      Wow that awesome news. you cannot ever have enough depth at DB with these spread offenses. Have you heard anything else about any tranfers?
      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys. Somewhere I missed that he was a walk-on for Nebraska. Good for the kid to find another home and get his school paid for. I guess we lose some (to Nebraska's walk-on program) and we win some (like Isaiah and some others that we've gotten in from Nebraska the past few years).

Also - thanks to WestSideRabbit for his very detailed coverage of all of our recruits!!

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
          TreShawn Watson to Illinois St
          Micah Harper to BYU
          Isaiah Jacobs, RB signed w/ Maryland.

Comment

Has running back Donovan Hunt signed anywhere? I addition to offensive lineman would love to see another receiver looking for a home. Incoming freshman or lineman.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
              Spot on NebraskaJack. Isaiah is a player that I'm excited about. This young man's ceiling keeps moving upwards. In high school he was expected to be a key part of a very good Class A program in Nebraska. He was not the star, but knew his role and exceeded it. To give perspective, Isaiah was a special teams and depth player until his senior year. Coach Cool at Kearney High plays underclassmen and even relies on sophomores to be key players if they have the talent. Isaiah was not one of these type of players. Noah Urbanek and Mikko Maessner (who signed with Princeton), were the type of players who excelled in key roles as sophomores for Kearney High.

When Isaiah seized his starting position in high school, he kept making plays. Many still took notice of Mikko in the defensive backfield because of some of the plays he made with his exceptional speed, but Isaiah was still the one that was filling up the stat sheet. I overlooked him and didn't share information with Dan and Stig about Isaiah. I was focused on getting the word out on other players who the staff recruited. When Kearney High narrowly missed beating Omaha North for the championship, Isaiah made lots of plays on defense.

Isaiah is a talent who's ceiling keeps moving upwards. He far exceeded what people expected of him with the Huskers in only two years as a walk-on. He will outwork his peers as evident by his 705 lb. squat that I posted yesterday. He comes from a good family and was known for his strong character.

He built up some confidence with his performance with the Huskers this year. Playing primarily special teams, he had 13 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble, and 1 blocked kick. He's going to look awfully good in blue this next year!
              Thanks for the additional detail.

One other note on the Husker walk program. With Frost aboard we will lose the opportunity with about 20 to 25 kids per year who chose to give Husker football their best shot. But now that Frost and co are in their third year I think the dream will start to die with some of the initial walk on recruits. I hope as a staff we are paying attention to the transfer portal so we can continue to get these types of players. I don't believe Isaiah Stalbird will be the last of the walkons that chooses a different path going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                Thanks for the additional detail.

One other note on the Husker walk program. With Frost aboard we will lose the opportunity with about 20 to 25 kids per year who chose to give Husker football their best shot. But now that Frost and co are in their third year I think the dream will start to die with some of the initial walk on recruits. I hope as a staff we are paying attention to the transfer portal so we can continue to get these types of players. I don't believe Isaiah Stalbird will be the last of the walkons that chooses a different path going forward.
                I'm not sure there are 20-25 Nebraska kids walking on at UNL and if there are I doubt we have interest in all of them. I agree if we recruit the right way and lose some of those kids to PWO at Nebraska or other FBS some of those kids will come back to us. I believe Frost will turn it around, but the Nebraska brand is not what it used to be. With 3 scheduled future games at UNL that has to be enticing too.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  I'm not sure there are 20-25 Nebraska kids walking on at UNL and if there are I doubt we have interest in all of them. I agree if we recruit the right way and lose some of those kids to PWO at Nebraska or other FBS some of those kids will come back to us. I believe Frost will turn it around, but the Nebraska brand is not what it used to be. With 3 scheduled future games at UNL that has to be enticing too.
                  You are right, we most likely are not interested in all of the walk-ons. Here are the numbers for Frosts three walk-on classes...

2018 they had 15, but Frost didn't start recruiting until December
                  2019 they took 25
                  2020 they are at 20 as of now.

Comment

Has Tip Reiman TE from O'Gorman signed with anyone? He had a SDSU offer at one time.

Comment

Jackson Waring to Illinois State.

Comment

Nate Varcarcel safety out of Wisconsin who had an offer is still out there.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          According to Hail Varsity, Nebraska's walk-on class currently numbers 18. Of the 18, I'm only seeing two that we offered: Matthais Algarin out of Perez, MN and Grant Tagge, LB from Omaha Westside.

I don't think we'd trade any of our recruits for players on this list of walk-ons.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                            According to Hail Varsity, Nebraska's walk-on class currently numbers 18. Of the 18, I'm only seeing two that we offered: Matthais Algarin out of Perez, MN and Grant Tagge, LB from Omaha Westside.

I don't think we'd trade any of our recruits for players on this list of walk-ons.
                            Agreed! Some of these walk-ons are head-scratchers and likely won't be on the roster for more than a semester/year. One or two WILL make it and become a starter and Nebraska will promote the heck out of it in the hopes of convincing future seniors that they too could become the next great Nebraksa walk-on.

Comment

Here is a long shot...
                              WR- Luke Grimm had his scholarship pulled/reduced by Kansas and didn’t sign yesterday. The Jacks were on him hard this spring. He’d be a great addition to the class at wide receiver.
                              https://twitter.com/lukegrimm25/stat...808168449?s=20

I hope we add a TE but I'm not sure what is out there. I think a PWO if nothing else.
                              Luke Grimm does end up committing at Kansas today. What a weird 3 days for that young man!

Comment

I hope we add a TE but I'm not sure what is out there. I think a PWO if nothing else.
                                I know we have an offer out to Reece Burckhard from Aberdeen Central. Not sure if it's a PWO or not. He has a basketball offer from UND as well, so not sure what sport he's leaning towards.

Comment

Working...
                                X