GDT: USD yippin' pups vs SDSU Jackrabbits @ Frost Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: USD yippin' pups vs SDSU Jackrabbits @ Frost Arena

I thought the broadcast team did an excellent job of being neutral. They may add more color than is necessary, but they have to fill all that dead air when the refs go to review for about everything.
    I just don't see/hear this bias being referred to. Beginning to sound like a Coyote fan. Yikes

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Did it go running through the stands high giving fans etc?
      I noticed during the presser that no one had the nets wrapped around their necks. Are they going to back today and cut them down ?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        Smith and the players bitch about every call. That is why i hate them, their fans and the city of Vermillion.
        Agree 100%. It all starts with Smith, whines about literally every call that doesn't go their way, players follow. I think Smith is a likable guy, and I enjoy his interviews because his gives you some substance, but his in-game antics are unbearable.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
          I thought the broadcast team did an excellent job of being neutral. They may add more color than is necessary, but they have to fill all that dead air when the refs go to review for about everything.
          I just don't see/hear this bias being referred to. Beginning to sound like a Coyote fan. Yikes
          Agree, whining about media coverage (good coverage I may add) bias adds nothing to the conversation and should be moved to the 'yote board. Mods?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks View Post
            Agree, whining about media coverage (good coverage I may add) bias adds nothing to the conversation and should be moved to the 'yote board. Mods?
            Gee I am sorry I brought it up. I just dont like KNEWITT, who was a grad assistant at USD. There might be a bias there.

Comment

Oh, man that win felt good! After the game in Verm and the two women's games, Jackrabbit Nation really needed that. Great team win. Lots of contributors in different ways.

Lane Severyn, he was the man of the night! What a game! Really happy for him. His 14 points and 9 boards were huge. As others mentioned, loved seeing the front of his jersey displayed in his framed jersey. I thought his defensive intensity set the tone for the night and the Jacks played one of their best defensive games of the year.

David Jenkins took another step forward last night. Had some rough spots again which is not unexpected for a freshman. He did hit some huge shots when Daum had to sit with 3 fouls and we needed a spark.

Tevin King quietly had a solid game. Not much offensively but his defense and 8 boards were big.

Rebounding is probably the stat that won the game last night. The Jacks were +11 rebounding. When both teams shoot 44.3% from field, are really close in percentage from 3pt and from the line, and all other categories were close, it made the difference.

A tip of the cap to Mooney and the Coyotes. He was outstanding and willed his team to come back. He hit huge shot after huge shot while being well defended. They are a gritty bunch. As good as the Jacks were last night, they still came back and were right there at the end. The Jacks were just the better team last night.

This sets up an EPIC Summit League Tournament on both sides. Can't wait!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks View Post
                Agree 100%. It all starts with Smith, whines about literally every call that doesn't go their way, players follow. I think Smith is a likable guy, and I enjoy his interviews because his gives you some substance, but his in-game antics are unbearable.
                He has definitely rubbed off on Mooney in this aspect. I remember Mooney being fairly level headed, but every single call last night he looked like there was no f-in way that USD could ever have committed a foul, especially when it was on him. Just a bad look.

Having said that, good lord Mooney can fill up the bucket. He's one of those players where it's so frustrating to watch because every time he shoots you know it's probably going in and you're surprised if it doesn't, but if he was on your team, it would be so much fun to watch. If I was his coach, I would tell him to put up 30 shots per game minimum. When he's going, they are so dangerous. Someone mentioned "can you imagine if his visit to SDSU would have gone better?". I didn't know that he visited SDSU when he was looking to transfer, but if he was on this SDSU team... wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Yes Brad KNEWITT voice of the USD Coyotes, a very biased color man for Midco. He should team up with Joe Van Gohr. Smith I can handle and he seems to stick up for his guys. Of course Tom Nieman is very objective in all his calls. Riding the pine during the Thorson days made him that way.
                  I didn't even know he had any USD connection. I have always thought he does a good job.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                    A tip of the cap to Mooney and the Coyotes. He was outstanding and willed his team to come back. He hit huge shot after huge shot while being well defended. They are a gritty bunch. As good as the Jacks were last night, they still came back and were right there at the end. The Jacks were just the better team last night.
                    SUPERBUNNY
                    I couldn't agree more. While I was getting a bit frustrated when we couldn't put them away last night, I had to respect the grit the Yotes showed. Mooney was money while shooting, but his grit and feistiness on the court was infectious for his teammates. I know Craig Smith worked the officials hard to set up the best outcome for his players, but that's his job. He has to do everything he can to help his team win. I've seen some coaches whine to the refs plenty and fail to coach their players - that is wrong. Smith never quits coaching his team even when it appears that he's riding the officials. I don't like it when it's against my Rabbits, but I respect what he's done with getting his team to the level that he has in such short order.

Post game celebrations in Vermillion after a big win seems cheesy, but I will guarantee that if you ask opposing teams of Bono's emotions with our wrestling team and fan base, they will have the same negative opinion. That's what I love about college sports, the average fan can get 'Jacked' about their team. If it takes a vocal coach to get their team/fan based energized, more power to him or her. Just don't quit coaching your team when your doing it.

Big win for the Jacks as they could have folded after giving up a huge lead and were trailing by 3 late in the second half. Instead of folding, they cranked it up on defense and got the big win.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      I didn't even know he had any USD connection. I have always thought he does a good job.
                      As I spend more time at the live events, I cannot vouch for Brad's performance either way. However, I find that he has come from Kansas and he attended Kansas State. He appears to be an instructor of some science classes at Lincoln and CTE academy in Sioux Falls following about 10 years at USF of math and coaching. If he has a yote connection, the quick scan did not locate this association. He may even watch more Jackrabbit basketball than yotes. He is married with 3 small children. Only on the worldwide web can so much happen for very little!
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        I agree. He seems relatively unbiased.

Now on the flip side, the play by play guy for game in verminville is a registered user on the coyote fan board.

Comment

What was up with all the orange for the mens and womens games this week vs the 'yotes? USD womens coach was wearing orange under her coat, Coach Smith had an orange tie, AJ had an orange tie, Otz had an orange tie.....the players all wore orange long sleeve shirts on the benches.

Was there a promotion I missed, maybe an official color of the SD Corn showdown? I guess corn kernels can be orangish. Or is that some sort of play on coyote red and jackrabbit yellow coming together or what?
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            What was up with all the orange for the mens and womens games this week vs the 'yotes? USD womens coach was wearing orange under her coat, Coach Smith had an orange tie, AJ had an orange tie, Otz had an orange tie.....the players all wore orange long sleeve shirts on the benches.

Was there a promotion I missed, maybe an official color of the SD Corn showdown? I guess corn kernels can be orangish. Or is that some sort of play on coyote red and jackrabbit yellow coming together or what?
                            http://feedingsouthdakota.org/
                            Feeding South Dakota.

Comment

Orange is for the "Feeding SD" thing that is tied in with the showdown series.

I thought the announcers were fine. Newitt does a nice job, IMO.

I thought the officials were fine... but I really wish Birch-Manning would get some more fouls called on him...especially on the Offensive Glass. I don't know if it's because he's undersized or what, but he gets away with alot of bumping, clawing, when it come to rebounding. He's a great defender though. And that's not just a 1 game complaint... he gets away with a LOT on the boards... every time I've watched him. Not his fault, if the refs don't call it, he's going to keep it up.

Mooney is a great player. Just a great player. I'm super glad the Rabbits pulled that one out, but USD really showed some grit and resolve last night. I'm actually more impressed by them now, than I was the earlier game this year when they blew SDSU out, or last season. They won't go away. Pesky. I don't know how many times in the 2 games SDSU has tried an "entry" pass to start the offense, and it just gets taken away by USD. You can see it happening as we are throwing the pass. That does not happen against other schools... credit to them.

I will take off the blue and yellow glasses and say, USD is going to be very difficult to beat in SLT. Defense travels. Shooting comes and goes. Although it would be nice if Mooney had a cold night against SDSU once... that guy has been nails. That's probably my biggest point of optimism... last night USD hit 9 straight shots when we went 0-fer... and made like 10 of 11 in one stretch... (most of them mooney), and the Jackrabbits still came back to win.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                                I will take off the blue and yellow glasses and say, USD is going to be very difficult to beat in SLT. Defense travels. Shooting comes and goes. Although it would be nice if Mooney had a cold night against SDSU once... that guy has been nails. That's probably my biggest point of optimism... last night USD hit 9 straight shots when we went 0-fer... and made like 10 of 11 in one stretch... (most of them mooney), and the Jackrabbits still came back to win.
                                This. Which is why winning last night was so important. We secured an auto-bid to the NIT. The Summit will be a dog fight and although I like our chances USD certainly won't be an easy out.

Comment

Working...
                                X