Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits springing into the puppy den in Vermillion

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. AJ called 3 or 4 timeouts in the last minute and a half of the game. Madi got fouled in the corner on one of them (I don't know why) but the other three didn't help at all.
    I think AJ drew up the play for Macy to drive in with 38 seconds left so SDSU could get a 2 for 1 but it wasn't there. I think when he calls a play they run it regardless of what the defense does.
    Listened to AJ's presser, and you are right about going for a 2 for 1. Looking at the replay of Maci's drive, we had the floor spread well and 3 or 4 USD players collapsed to the paint, which means we had to have wide open shooters on the perimeter. Not sure if they were out there just as decoys and Maci was going to shoot regardless of what the defense did, but there were options available.

Comment

USD's defense down the stretch was impressive. They came out after every time out inspired to play D. SDSU battled, too. But it appeared USD was more energetic at the end, as you might expect of a team in front of a good home crowd. USD's coach gets great effort out of those young women, and you have to admire that.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        i did not watch the game at all, but this stat sticks out and there have been many comments about the good USED DEFENSE. If they are good on defense and that I dont question, why then are they going to the ft line more than twice the amount of times the Jacks went? The refs seem to want to keep the home crowd in the game and not have them knitting or going to sleep. Just me from not watching the game at all.
        Nothing better than talking knowledgeable from not watching the game at all. The refs don't care who wins the game. Those are excuses. Don't put yourself in the position the refs can change an outcome.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          Nope... stop... we're not going to be the fan base that blames "home cooking from refs". They did a better job of drawing fouls on offense and they did a better job of playing good clean defense. End of story.
          ^^^^this, 100%

Comment

The lob into Sellend at the high post play failed right off the bat after the :46 time out, she was supposed to pass it to a cutting Thompson ,who was pretty well covered. Mayah held the ball too long with two defenders in very close proximity to her while she was waiting for secondary cutters, finally Arens reached in and poked the ball free, and Lamb reacted faster than Arens, Myah,or Rylie Cascio Jensen, and got to the ball first,she fell down, Myah tripped over her and also fell down but got called for a foul.

The whole point to bringing this up is the timing should be faster between first and second option cutters, or risk exactly this type thing from occurring .These plays are fine plays, but against teams that play aggressive, they don't develop fast enough.That was a huge development in the game, originally I thought it was exactly what we wanted when I saw that because I thought Lamb would be called for the foul, instead Sellend was.We were still ahead at that point.

All posters on the Yote board lauded the officials for letting them play even though the play was extremely physical,we didn't join in on the ref's swallowing their whistles then,or didn't trust them to give equal leeway if we began to play physical too.Whatever reasoning applies. USD played much more physical than we did down the stretch.That allowed them to get back into the game with the short amount of time they had,and eventually get the win. We seem to have problems against physical teams ,except for Larson who plays physical herself and doesn't back down from anyone, and she was in foul trouble because of it.I noticed Arens has no problem putting her shoulder into a defender and clearing space ,maybe that's what Sellend should have done too.

I have no problems with the ref's allowing physicality, or not, but having it a little of both just confuses players...make the decision at the start of the game and be true to calling it that way to both sides the whole game.The foul calls at the start of the game were "touchy" little fouls with minimal contact, somehow it morphed into full body hand to hand combat later in the game , Give us the same set of rules and we'll deal with it ,but quit confusing the players by changing the calls and what constitutes a foul or not all the time. I'm not blaming,just saying stay consistent,cause we have to know so we can play physical too,believe it or not, that's a big advantage if one sides playing physical and the other isn't because of inconsistent calls.W, Ill pushes the limits too,maybe we can push back next time too. Of course the team playing from behind plays more physical ,because they have to make things happen favorable to them in a short time period.You can't tell me every time a player reaches in they only contact the ball and not a hand or arm, it's impossible for them to see, that's why they used to call reaching in fouls "reaching in" ,meaning the act of reaching in was in itself considered a foul, not anymore, I don't see why we don't do it more often if it's called so rarely, it's a good way to generate some loose balls and hopefully TO's. Just look at the teams that lead the Summit and get a lot of turnovers ...Ahem,cough,couch.

Finally, game management could have been a little better with a small but not insignificant lead from about 7 min or so out(9 pts ?)....in light of all that occurred, notwithstanding the advantage of using hindsight. We took poor 3's too fast in the shot clock when all we needed was to control the ball and let them foul us, or let them get too far out of defensive position and get an easy lay in as their desperation grew. We probably needed maybe one or two more buckets and this all might have been averted,instead we chose to jack up some poor contested three's. Sometimes it's best to resist the urge to drive in the final nail in the coffin and let them do that for you themselves by forcing them to get more and more desperate and start making mistakes.
            I've seen it happen a lot in sports ,the ones who remain poised, but vigilant to opportunities that seem to present themselves will begin to experience that things will just naturally fall into place for them and the more things will become unraveled for the one who become desperate. We will become stronger after learning lesson's from this loss, I'm utterly convinced of that.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-22-2018, 01:37 PM. Reason: i should have made chapters in this book

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              Nothing better than talking knowledgeable from not watching the game at all. The refs don't care who wins the game. Those are excuses. Don't put yourself in the position the refs can change an outcome.
              well refs can change the outcome, its up to teams to adjust to the way its being called. I didn't watch much but felt the bit I did we were aggressive and USD was more aggressive on D. It was probably called like a tournament game would be called IMHO. If it was the summit league refs from like 6 years ago, USD would have had a record for number of fouls called because they reach and go for the ball. Not saying they were fouling, but aggressive to the ball. Summit officials in years past wouldn't let you even get close on D and it was a foul. In general the refs sure seem better then they use to be at how they are calling the game. It is a little odd that we fouled so much when we had a lead going into the 4th qtr, usually you see the team behind trying to hard and get called a few extra fouls. guess not this game.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Nope... stop... we're not going to be the fan base that blames "home cooking from refs". They did a better job of drawing fouls on offense and they did a better job of playing good clean defense. End of story.
                I agree. Its very possible that we got called for more fouls because we fouled more than they did. Hows that for common sense

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  USD's defense down the stretch was impressive. They came out after every time out inspired to play D. SDSU battled, too. But it appeared USD was more energetic at the end, as you might expect of a team in front of a good home crowd. USD's coach gets great effort out of those young women, and you have to admire that.
                  I think USD just seemed like they had more options than SDSU. I know both teams played about the same number of players but SDSU just doesn't have enough offensive weapons. Macy and Madi were 5-8 from 3-points land and the rest of the team was 2-12. You need to have more players that teams have to guard to make drives like Macy's, Madi and Myah effective. I don't know if I want Tagyn or Lexi shooting from long range but if they don't, their defender just sags off them and helps out. I would give Tagyn more minutes if we play them in Sioux Falls. She has the ability to guard most of USD's players, she helps on the boards and she is aggressive at taking the ball to the basket.

Comment

Tagyn Larson may have been limited in minutes after picking up 2 fouls in the first quarter. She watched from the bench the entire 2nd quarter. If she had played in the 2nd quarter, the minutes would have been over 20.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      I think USD just seemed like they had more options than SDSU. I know both teams played about the same number of players but SDSU just doesn't have enough offensive weapons. Macy and Madi were 5-8 from 3-points land and the rest of the team was 2-12. You need to have more players that teams have to guard to make drives like Macy's, Madi and Myah effective. I don't know if I want Tagyn or Lexi shooting from long range but if they don't, their defender just sags off them and helps out. I would give Tagyn more minutes if we play them in Sioux Falls. She has the ability to guard most of USD's players, she helps on the boards and she is aggressive at taking the ball to the basket.
                      One thing the Jacks have to figure out if there is a rematch is a better way to match up with Trimboli. Having Thompson and Selland try to come out and guard her on the perimeter did not work. If they played her up tight, she beat them off the dribble and went to the basket. And if they played off of her she hit the three. She is a high % shooter and will have to be guarded by a quicker player who can make it tougher for her to catch the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                        ZERO chance for an at-large birth if you lose to USD 3 times...
                        That sounds logical on its face, but I'm not sure it is true. RPI ratings this morning, including last night's game, has SDSU at 32, and USD at 57. While RPI isn't the only factor, it is an important one. Jacks get a good rating because of SOS, which has us at 71, and USD at 145. Conversely, the Coyotes suffer with a weaker schedule. If we lose to the same team 3 times, it is somewhat logical to say that USD is underrated, and hurt solely because of the strength of their schedule. Assuming we win Saturday and win two games in the conference tournament to advance to the championship...and then lose, it is at least arguable as to whether we deserve an at-large spot, based on our RPI and that we lost in close games (6 and 5 points so far) to the other "best" team in the Summit. (I don't want to be proved right by losing...let's just go win the tournament!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          That sounds logical on its face, but I'm not sure it is true. RPI ratings this morning, including last night's game, has SDSU at 32, and USD at 57. While RPI isn't the only factor, it is an important one. Jacks get a good rating because of SOS, which has us at 71, and USD at 145. Conversely, the Coyotes suffer with a weaker schedule. If we lose to the same team 3 times, it is somewhat logical to say that USD is underrated, and hurt solely because of the strength of their schedule. Assuming we win Saturday and win two games in the conference tournament to advance to the championship...and then lose, it is at least arguable as to whether we deserve an at-large spot, based on our RPI and that we lost in close games (6 and 5 points so far) to the other "best" team in the Summit. (I don't want to be proved right by losing...let's just go win the tournament!!)
                          Judging from last year, the Jacks would be on the bubble. We were one of the last 4 out with a final RPI of 33. Based on the eye test, our record seems to be better this year, as last year we lost 6 games to Summit League teams. And those last couple of spots depend on whether a "Cinderella" team wins a conference tournament that wouldn't have otherwise made the field.

Comment

Yes I will stop trying to inject humor into a very serious thread where butt hurt has made many fans uptight that they don’t recognize tongue in cheek comments about knitting and sleeping. An Yes Enema, aka Theee Catrabbit, I fully understand the role of officials. I am headed to ESPN3 to watch the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Yes I will stop trying to inject humor into a very serious thread where butt hurt has made many fans uptight that they don’t recognize tongue in cheek comments about knitting and sleeping. An Yes Enema, aka Theee Catrabbit, I fully understand the role of officials. I am headed to ESPN3 to watch the reply.
                              Just saying that I guarantee you that if a USD fan read your post he would see this exact quote "why then are they going to the ft line more than twice the amount of times the Jacks went? The refs seem to want to keep the home crowd in the game" and run with it. If you were shooting for humor, you missed.

Comment

Just saying that I guarantee you that if a USD fan read your post he would see this exact quote "why then are they going to the ft line more than twice the amount of times the Jacks went? The refs seem to want to keep the home crowd in the game" and run with it. If you were shooting for humor, you missed.
                                You mean CondeJack would do that, if so agree. My humor sucks!

Comment

Working...
                                X