GDT: Jackrabbits springing into the puppy den in Vermillion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Jackrabbits springing into the puppy den in Vermillion

The SD Corn Showdown really does not seem to be a real part of tonight's game. This battle for the lead for the SLT overshadows the rest. These 2 teams appear to tower over the rest of the league at this time. There is no doubt that they are the 1 and 2 seed for the SLT. The bragging rights and the confidence factor are for the winner tonight. As there might be some defense played tonight, 70 points for either team ought to be a winner if it can be accomplished. It will be a tough game for both teams. My blue tinted glasses expect a game similar to March 2, 2014 which was the last win in Vermillion for the Jackrabbit WBB. Go Jacks!!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits springing into the puppy den in Vermillion

I think you may be right on 70 points winning it.

Comment

It is encouraging that the Jacks were able to keep the first game close in spite of how bad they were offensively. Having Selland should help there, plus having her in the rotation helps to reduce minutes for Thompson and Larson. Defensively, they cannot allow Liveringhouse to go off like she did in Brookings. She might not be able to repeat her shooting of that night even if no one is guarding her, but someone needs to be in her face, especially on the perimeter.

Comment

Hoping for a win for the ladies tonight. Won't be easy, quality opponent and a tough place to win at. But, the team has been playing like they have been on a mission since the last game with them.

Comment

The Louisville and NC State games showed what the Jacks are capable of. Play like that tonight and all will be well. That's easier said than done but over the past five or six games we've started to see flashes of it come back (after an obvious letdown in January).

Liveringhouse had a career-level game at Frost. She handed USD that win. I don't think that will happen again, especially with a shifty 6'2 Selland available to help guard her. I don't expect the Jacks will get out hustled like they did in Brookings either. That cost them several turnovers and made a big difference in a 5-point game. The big unknown is how each team will handle the pressure and the crowd - and the same will be true about the SLT tournament finals, regardless of who wins tonight.

Comment

Considering we haven't won down in the dump since 2014 tells you that our recent good play will be negated by rarely playing well down there. And their intensity will be greater than ours no doubt. I expect if we are lucky enough to pull out a win, it will be a close one. USD is such a better team than even WIU so I think people are optimistic and rightfully so. But we will be lucky to pull this one out IMO just like USD men will be lucky to win in Frost tomorrow (Thurs) night.

Comment

The playing at the SCSC must be infinitely better than playing in the open Dome atmosphere. It can get loud in the new arena, but the spatial perception from the floor must be an improvement. The Jackrabbits can quiet the crowd with great defense and a few points.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                The Louisville and NC State games showed what the Jacks are capable of. Play like that tonight and all will be well. That's easier said than done but over the past five or six games we've started to see flashes of it come back (after an obvious letdown in January).

Liveringhouse had a career-level game at Frost. She handed USD that win. I don't think that will happen again, especially with a shifty 6'2 Selland available to help guard her. I don't expect the Jacks will get out hustled like they did in Brookings either. That cost them several turnovers and made a big difference in a 5-point game. The big unknown is how each team will handle the pressure and the crowd - and the same will be true about the SLT tournament finals, regardless of who wins tonight.
                I agree with this, and let's remember how USD responded to their horrible loss to Tulsa on their home court. They were down and embarrassed and decided then and there to elevate their play and play much better defense. At that time, they weren't as good as they are now by a long shot, but it lit a fire under them and they've been a completely different team since. I think we are experiencing that "born again " rejuvenation since that loss on our home court to the Yotes. This will be a game of two vastly improved teams that not only have something to prove to their opponent, but also to themselves. Having Sellend back and the way this team has been destroying anyone in their path should negate the home court advantage, just like it was negated by USD in the first matchup by Liveringhouse. I think the Jacks pull it out even though it's at USD,but it will be tough,even playing at a higher level.

USD is a well balanced scoring team, so are we, another area we have similarities, Liveringhouse might be contained somewhat better, but we need to defend the other 4 on the court that are with her too, that's why I think Sellend will help so much with Liveringhouse, so that we can also contain the USD offense much better as a whole, they'll need more scoring than just hers. Get lots of rebounds, having more possessions is crucial to winning,unless you shoot with far greater accuracy,not likely against two teams with tough defenses that won't allow that in all probability. But, who knows, one team could shoot lights out....that would tip the scale if the other team couldn't also have a nice run.

Have to mention Larson, she's such a pivotal reason we stayed ahead of W Ill when they got too close, as our big lead shrunk to close to 10. She got the ball back for us so many times with her rebounding effort, lots of them among 2-3 W. ILL players around her poking at the ball...such a great effort on her part in that game.

Lots of ifs, ands, or buts....but one things for sure, there's so much confidence, leadership, poise...many more superlatives on both teams where it should be a close, hard fought game. I flipped a coin....came out Jacks!!
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-21-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

At the end of 1, SDSU 20, USD 18. Pretty good game so far.

I see Buffalo Wild Wings ads on the backboard-stand pads. Is there a BWW in Vermillion? (added: No BWW in Verm)

Comment

Lots of empty seats in the USD gym. The "attendance" report will be interesting.

Comment

Halftime: USD 41, SDSU 39

Comment

I thought we'd get more offensive rebounds than 1 to their 3, another weak area is 2nd chance points 0 to their 6, getting outscored off the bench 20-11,committing turnovers our 7 to their 3....our strength, points in paint 22-14,FG% 61% to 46%, FT 3-4 to 10-10 ouch......we only trail by 2 at half....but have to strengthen our weak stats or hope we can continue to shoot 61% the 2nd half

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          Lots of empty seats in the USD gym. The "attendance" report will be interesting.
                          4,018 is the reported attendance. What a joke.

Comment

After three: SDSU 63, USD 58

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                              4,018 is the reported attendance. What a joke.
                              They're obviously counting something like tickets sold/given away and not butts in the seats. Look at the empty section behind USD's bench and look at the upper rows in the place.

Comment

Working...
                              X