NDSU doldrums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU doldrums

NDSU men lose at home to Fort Wayne this afternoon (2/17/18): Fort Wayne 84 NDSU 72. Fort Wayne looked good but the Bison didn’t defend the home court very well.

The Bison football program has to be, with few exceptions, one of the best in college football for more than 50 years running. To stay on top of the game as they have done for so many years...well, hard to think of many other programs, irrespective of the level or division, that can claim a more consistent winning tradition than NDSU football.

So what in heck is happening to their other sports? The Summit League needs all programs to get better. SDSU and, to a degree, USD, are doing that. The other schools? In basketball I’d like to see the Summit get a couple teams into the NCAA Tourneys once in a while. NDSU’s trajectory is down, not up. UND likely joins the League only prepared to battle to stay out of the basement. I have some hope ORU and Denver may improve.

Name the sport or sports in which NDSU has beaten SDSU in REGULAR-season competition so far this year.

Re: NDSU doldrums

I do not expect to see many bison fans at the SLT. There is little to zero following of the women's basketball and there is a very small chance there will be a bison team playing on Tuesday. It will be surprising to see 200-300 bison people at the tourney. The WIU WBB will bring a bigger crowd.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The Bison fans don’t usually show up unless the men are in the championship game.

Comment

According to USA today 2015-16 data:
        NDSU athletic budget-$23.5M
        SDSU-$16.8M

SDSU has 19 sports, NDSU 14. I get that a big chunk of that budget is spent on football, but there is still no good reason why they should not be better in other sports. The money is there and the facilities are there. Has to come down to coaching as far as basketball goes. MBB played an incredibly boring brand of basketball for how many years? Yes they won games but man, that has to wear on recruiting after a while. WBB just went with the strategy of she played in the wnba so that must mean she'll be a great coach. Sometimes that works, other times it turns out like it has.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
          According to USA today 2015-16 data:
          NDSU athletic budget-$23.5M
          SDSU-$16.8M

SDSU has 19 sports, NDSU 14. I get that a big chunk of that budget is spent on football, but there is still no good reason why they should not be better in other sports. The money is there and the facilities are there. Has to come down to coaching as far as basketball goes. MBB played an incredibly boring brand of basketball for how many years? Yes they won games but man, that has to wear on recruiting after a while. WBB just went with the strategy of she played in the wnba so that must mean she'll be a great coach. Sometimes that works, other times it turns out like it has.
          The style isn't the problem, it is the coach. The team used to be a tough defensive minded team that valued taking care of the basketball. We are a far cry from that, really the team has no identity at all. Richman has sucked the life out of the program.

WBB is a dumpster fire and I'm not sure if it will ever get fixed. Dehoff nuked the program and the current coach was way too inexperienced but part of the reason she was hired is because nobody really wanted the job.

Comment

Are Jeff and Dom even covering the Bison basketball teams anymore? They are the best in the business when it comes to FCS football, but not even a tweet mentioning the result of the last home game (senior night?) of the season! ???

I guess closing your eyes and pretending it's not happening is one way to deal with an arduous situation.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              The style isn't the problem, it is the coach. The team used to be a tough defensive minded team that valued taking care of the basketball. We are a far cry from that, really the team has no identity at all. Richman has sucked the life out of the program.

WBB is a dumpster fire and I'm not sure if it will ever get fixed. Dehoff nuked the program and the current coach was way too inexperienced but part of the reason she was hired is because nobody really wanted the job.
              What does your AD think/say about the situation? Does he just sit back and say "well, we still kick ass at Football tho... Amirite?!"? One would think an institution of NDSU's caliber would strive for better.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                What does your AD think/say about the situation? Does he just sit back and say "well, we still kick ass at Football tho... Amirite?!"? One would think an institution of NDSU's caliber would strive for better.
                I'm not sure if anyone has asked him those questions but with MBB going into a free fall they'll be coming.

Both coaches are almost at the end of their contracts and neither was his hire, he is going to have to make some big decisions shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  Are Jeff and Dom even covering the Bison basketball teams anymore? They are the best in the business when it comes to FCS football, but not even a tweet mentioning the result of the last home game (senior night?) of the season! ???

I guess closing your eyes and pretending it's not happening is one way to deal with an arduous situation.
                  Yeah, I thought that was strange as well. That said Kolpack didn't cover the game at all, maybe he is on vacation. I know he typically takes some time off before the conference tournament.

Comment

Bison have the last 2 games on the road against the bottom 2 teams in the conference. Western Illinois and Omaha could be tough games. Omaha beat Ft Wayne, WIU, and Denver in Baxter Arena. WIU has won against Ft Wayne and ORU in Western Hall. Bison losses could create deafening chants of fire Richman whether it is accurate of his skills or not. At his point, it is clear the Bison are not on an upward trajectory headed into the SLT. It was clear last year at Sioux Falls there was a very small contingent of Bison fans. Do not expect support this year either.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                      Bison have the last 2 games on the road against the bottom 2 teams in the conference. Western Illinois and Omaha could be tough games. Omaha beat Ft Wayne, WIU, and Denver in Baxter Arena. WIU has won against Ft Wayne and ORU in Western Hall. Bison losses could create deafening chants of fire Richman whether it is accurate of his skills or not. At his point, it is clear the Bison are not on an upward trajectory headed into the SLT. It was clear last year at Sioux Falls there was a very small contingent of Bison fans. Do not expect support this year either.
                      Only had one team to cheer on, as NDSU WBB was the omitted team.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        Only had one team to cheer on, as NDSU WBB was the omitted team.
                        NDSU has a women's team?
                        Rollin' in my 5.0
                        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Working...
                        X