The Wrap up and Pre SLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wrap up and Pre SLT

This is a long week off for the Jackrabbit men and women. The men's side of the bracket has the 1 & 2 seeds identified with 3 through 7 a bit of a jumble. What are most serious matchups that would side track the championship game from resulting in the coyotes vs Jackrabbits? We saw the Mastodons give SDSU a second half tussle that did not happen at Vermillion. Denver and NDSU found a game to slow down USD. I see Denver with the #3 seed since they have Omaha & ORU at home and finish at WIU. They have the easiest path to 8-6 or 7-7. FW has WIU & SDSU at home with NDSU on the road. They could go 3-0, but Fargo could trip them or SDSU stays hot on the road to end the season. They would be the 4 seed. NDSU should make the 5 seed. The winner of ORU at Omaha is 6 seed and the loser is 7 seed. Leathernecks could pop out of the 8 seed if they win both home games and win a tie breaker somewhere.

The women's side of the conference has the top 3 seeds in place. It is also likely that the Jackrabbits would own the tie breaker with WIU if both teams ended 11-3. If the Jackrabbits win out, they have the #1 seed. If the Jackrabbits have 2 losses, USD has the #1 seed unless there is an upset by Omaha or ORU over the coyotes. It is not likely WIU loses all 3 remaining games with SDSU, Denver and NDSU on tap. Denver and ORU are the 4 & 5 with the Martianez injury keeping the order in question. The last 3 teams have 4 wins among them. NDSU plays Thursday at FW to determine who stays at 1 win. Then the bison have another shot at Omaha for a win. I would not discount WIU as a factor in the SLT, but I do not think they have quite the depth from a year ago. Tuesday, March 6, could be a South Dakota Showdown.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: The Wrap up and Pre SLT

Sunday is shaping to be a pretty quiet day at The Falls!

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      This is a long week off for the Jackrabbit men and women. The men's side of the bracket has the 1 & 2 seeds identified with 3 through 7 a bit of a jumble. What are most serious matchups that would side track the championship game from resulting in the coyotes vs Jackrabbits? We saw the Mastodons give SDSU a second half tussle that did not happen at Vermillion. Denver and NDSU found a game to slow down USD. I see Denver with the #3 seed since they have Omaha & ORU at home and finish at WIU. They have the easiest path to 8-6 or 7-7. FW has WIU & SDSU at home with NDSU on the road. They could go 3-0, but Fargo could trip them or SDSU stays hot on the road to end the season. They would be the 4 seed. NDSU should make the 5 seed. The winner of ORU at Omaha is 6 seed and the loser is 7 seed. Leathernecks could pop out of the 8 seed if they win both home games and win a tie breaker somewhere.

The women's side of the conference has the top 3 seeds in place. It is also likely that the Jackrabbits would own the tie breaker with WIU if both teams ended 11-3. If the Jackrabbits win out, they have the #1 seed. If the Jackrabbits have 2 losses, USD has the #1 seed unless there is an upset by Omaha or ORU over the coyotes. It is not likely WIU loses all 3 remaining games with SDSU, Denver and NDSU on tap. Denver and ORU are the 4 & 5 with the Martianez injury keeping the order in question. The last 3 teams have 4 wins among them. NDSU plays Thursday at FW to determine who stays at 1 win. Then the bison have another shot at Omaha for a win. I would not discount WIU as a factor in the SLT, but I do not think they have quite the depth from a year ago. Tuesday, March 6, could be a South Dakota Showdown.
      How do the SDSU women lock up the #1 seed if they win out?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Sunday is shaping to be a pretty quiet day at The Falls!
        So your saying a calm, mellow buzz throughout the day is in order? Book it, I'm IN!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          If everything is equal in the win loss & head to head, the tie breaker is the RPI. At this point in time, that favors Jackrabbits.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            If everything is equal in the win loss & head to head, the tie breaker is the RPI. At this point in time, that favors Jackrabbits.
            Ahh...good to know. I was too lazy to look up the long list of tie breakers. But we have to beat them down there first which is far from a given!

Comment

It looks to me like RPI woUld be the deciding factor and that won’t be close if we finish with one loss.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/tourn...al_information

Comment

I hate to say this but I'd almost want the SDSU men to get the #2 seed if this came true. I would rather have them play Denver instead of IPFW (or possibly NDSU) in the second round. NDSU is really down but it still would be nice to not have to play them. I would probably rather play NDSU than Denver but I think IPFW is the best of the three teams. I worry a little about ORU since we stunk against a zone most of the season but we played better in the last game and ORU is reeling. I think Western Illinois might be a little worse than Omaha or ORU but not enough to want to play IPFW over Denver.
                This is where the next two women's game are big. I really think you want to be the #1 seed on the women's side. Western Illinois is better than either Denver or ORU. Especially if ORU has Martinez out. SDSU will have to go on the road and beat both Western Illinois and USD to get the #1 seed. Western Illinois isn't very deep so them playing on back to back nights will help but they might get to rest some of their starters in round 1 since the bottom three teams are not very good this season.
                I said almost cause I know you want to win the conference and just beat whoever is on the other side of the court.

Comment

So your saying a calm, mellow buzz throughout the day is in order? Book it, I'm IN!
                  We have a winner!

Comment

The men's side has plenty of potential for a big upset if SDSU or USD caves under the immense pressure. We've seen plenty of very close calls in the past. Denver, FW, NDSU - any of them could find themselves playing on Tuesday night with some luck.

On the women's side WIU is definitely scary. I doubt that they'll win 3 times but they're just the kind of team that can have a hot shooting game and put up 90 points in the semi's. They also have experience winning in Sioux Falls. Hopefully they are USD's Monday problem. Saturday's women's games should be about as pressure-free as any recent year. That's not great as far as exciting basketball goes but I always like having an "easy" first day as a fan.

Comment

Zimmer providing some chatter for the WBB.
                      http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...men/332016002/

Comment

I really enjoy those days with out a huge rooting interest. Its nice to cheer for the teams we want to face the next round. Plus some of the smaller crowds makes a little more fun with the kids there. can get food and they can run around a bit and not get in the way. Saturday on the other hand is looking to probably set some records for attendance hopefully. If both SD teams win out. it will be a crazy tournament and attendance should be setting another new record.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Single session tickets for the Summit League tourney are on sale now through Ticketmaster. The Jacks are going to be the No. 1 or No. 2 seed on both the men's and women's sides. So, both SDSU teams will play Saturday, March 3. Both USD teams also will play on opening day. Let's fill the Premier Center with blue!
                          This space for lease.

Comment

With the men having the #1 pretty much locked up they are slotted to be the 6PM game each evening session. Another benefit, IMO, of the women winning out and earning the #1 seed is then they get slotted at the 12PM game each afternoon session. If the are the #2 seed then they are the 2:30PM slot which makes for a rather quick turnaround to get out of the arena, get dinner/drink cocktails and then back for the men's game at 6.

So, in order to increase my alcohol intake between sessions, the women need to win out! I better email AJ and make sure he understands this ;-)

Comment

With the men having the #1 pretty much locked up they are slotted to be the 6PM game each evening session. Another benefit, IMO, of the women winning out and earning the #1 seed is then they get slotted at the 12PM game each afternoon session. If the are the #2 seed then they are the 2:30PM slot which makes for a rather quick turnaround to get out of the arena, get dinner/drink cocktails and then back for the men's game at 6.

So, in order to increase my alcohol intake between sessions, the women need to win out! I better email AJ and make sure he understands this ;-)
                              The #1 seed pretty much locked up? Am I missing something? That's pretty far from the case at this point in time is it not?

Comment

Working...
                              X