Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits @ The Rocky Mountain High City

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Chris Howell? He hasn't played for several games. He might have a foot injury, but it's never discussed in media injury reports. In addition, Beau Brown is recovering from a broken arm.

Congrats to the Jacks for gutting out the win. Losing Daum, Thiesen and King to fouls were heavy losses for a 10-player team. If he was still on the team, Dallas Polk-Hilliard might be getting some minutes.
    Beau is back (got in a few games ago). From all indications from Zimmer, Howell is not hurt. He is just at the end of the rotation.

Comment

It was great seeing the guys hold on to get the win after 3 guys fouled out. However, it was VERY painful to watch having the Jacks at -5.5. Seemed like a lock until about 8 minutes left in the game when Denver couldn't miss and we went stagnant on offense. Otz seriously has to figure out how we are going to beat a zone defense, because our offense looks like hot garbage against a zone, even with Daum in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        It was great seeing the guys hold on to get the win after 3 guys fouled out. However, it was VERY painful to watch having the Jacks at -5.5. Seemed like a lock until about 8 minutes left in the game when Denver couldn't miss and we went stagnant on offense. Otz seriously has to figure out how we are going to beat a zone defense, because our offense looks like hot garbage against a zone, even with Daum in the game.
        Oh I think he will figure out how to better handle the zone. What kind of a lessonis he trying to teach Howell? That’s a good Cubby’s question.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Oh I think he will figure out how to better handle the zone. What kind of a lessonis he trying to teach Howell? That’s a good Cubby’s question.
          I thought he would have implemented something after the Oral Roberts game. If he did, whatever it was didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            Who was or got hurt? I must have missed that?
            My bad, I assumed Howell. As thin as we were at the end I just figured he was since he didn't get in.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
              My bad, I assumed Howell. As thin as we were at the end I just figured he was since he didn't get in.
              A tight game though and his history of turnovers probably not the pick you want. Seems like he played well earlier and Key was struggling at the end of the bench, now Key is a big bench contributor and Howell isn't getting off the bench. Suprising considering how strong he finished last year.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

He does tend to force things on the offensive end, but I feel he can also bring energy on the defensive end, especially when you already have 3 guys playing tentative due to foul trouble.

Comment

I thought he would have implemented something after the Oral Roberts game. If he did, whatever it was didn't work.
                  Maybe so, you got me. Maybe like the Lifelock commercial. I am not real dentist, I just tell you that you have a bad cavity. Let’s hope Otz is for real.

Comment

Otz seriously has to figure out how we are going to beat a zone defense, because our offense looks like hot garbage against a zone, even with Daum in the game.
                    I was a little surprised the type of offense that we were running against the zone late in the second half. Our three man weave on the perimeter to start our offensive set has been highly effective against man-to-man, especially with Daum on the perimeter. With his size, shooting and ability to go to the hole while handling the ball is really tough to defend. However, when Denver went zone, their perimeter defenders only had to shuffle a few feet left and right and were in position. Our guys where spending a lot of energy doing the weave on the perimeter without getting much penetration. I liked how we would feed the high post to attack the zone, but we often look to pass out to the wing for a jumper off of it and that is being defended well.

I'm no expert on coaching at any level above youth sports, so I'm not qualified to do more than arm chair quarterback, but it doesn't seem real effective. Maybe if Daum or Telly was in the high post or either flashing from the wing to the baseline we could attack the seams better. I didn't see that happening last night and Daum didn't look like himself in the second half. Seemed to lose some energy down the stretch and it affected his defense, especially when Amigo started to have an impact. Daum's last foul appeared to involve him letting his baseline arm come down to possibly rest it and it ended up hooking Amigo's arm. If both arms were up, I don't see him getting called for that foul.

Bottom line, the team looked really good through 3/4's of the game. Denver's announcers were convinced that the Jacks were the cream of the Summit and that USD was a notch below. That last eight minutes was important. The team learned how to get a gut check game with Daum not being an integral part of the stretch run. Just win baby!

Comment

Maybe its just me but I think we need more Daum and Theisen in the game when they go to the zone, switch them up between the high and low post. work the ball from one side to the high post and have the ball either go back to the wings, or if they collapse they can pass any direction. Otherwise have the ball enter the high post from the wing, if the player who guarding the wing from where the ball left collapses to the high post, you can work the ball back out and they have to recover or rotate further which allows for the ball to swing back around for an open shooter. Maybe its just me but getting a high post who can pass and move the ball inside and out seems a good way to get a good shot or break down in the zone. If Duam is the high post, if they don't collapse he can attack the rim, if they do, he can dump off to thiesen on the low block or back to king or Jenkins or flatten or telly on the wings.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        A tight game though and his history of turnovers probably not the pick you want. Seems like he played well earlier and Key was struggling at the end of the bench, now Key is a big bench contributor and Howell isn't getting off the bench. Suprising considering how strong he finished last year.
                        Howell had a couple of things going against him last night. He has a turnover problem but he also struggles to shoot the ball. His FT% is by far the worst on the team. When the other team is behind and fouling, do you really want somebody in there that they can use "Hack a Shaq" on?
                        The positives that he had was there was only him and Brown on the bench and he is best at driving into the lane and shooting very short shots. Reed, Skylar, Lane and Jenkins Jr don't clog up the lane very much. Key hasn't shot much from outside so I don't know if his range is just like Howell's or not.
                        I'm just glad the game wasn't another 4 minutes or I don't think the team would have pulled it out. Their double digit lead was just big enough for them.
                        Last edited by 91jack; 02-09-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Was at the game last night. Good showing by jackrabbit fans, probably half the attendance was blue. Didn't feel like the game was ever really in doubt. Denver just didn't have the time to do it and we made our FTs. Zone was a problem, but Denver has hardly shown one all year so I understand if it caught us off guard. I'm sure we'll be ready for it if we see them again. Nice place to watch a game. Good views, food, and they sell beer.

Officiating was the worst I've ever seen. Unreal the amount of tic tac calls. Frankly it was called like a women's game. Physicality was totally taken out of the game, 3 players on one team should never foul out of a men's game that doesn't go to overtime. Hopefully we avoid that crew the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            Howell had a couple of things going against him last night. He has a turnover problem but he also struggles to shoot the ball. His FT% is by far the worst on the team. When the other team is behind and fouling, do you really want somebody in there that they can use "Hack a Shaq" on?
                            The positives that he had was there was only him and Brown on the bench and he is best at driving into the lane and shooting very short shots. Reed, Skylar, Lane and Jenkins Jr don't clog up the lane very much. Key hasn't shot much from outside so I don't know if his range is just like Howell's or not.
                            I'm just glad the game wasn't another 4 minutes or I don't think the team would have pulled it out. Their double digit lead was just big enough for them.
                            Howell's main offensive move (basically his only one) is the back to the basket turnaround shot from 8-10 feet. When Daum posts up, having Howell there too makes it easier to double Daum. And I do think that King, Jenkins and Key are driving to the basket more and having Howell in the paint area clogs that up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              Maybe its just me but I think we need more Daum and Theisen in the game when they go to the zone, switch them up between the high and low post. work the ball from one side to the high post and have the ball either go back to the wings, or if they collapse they can pass any direction. Otherwise have the ball enter the high post from the wing, if the player who guarding the wing from where the ball left collapses to the high post, you can work the ball back out and they have to recover or rotate further which allows for the ball to swing back around for an open shooter. Maybe its just me but getting a high post who can pass and move the ball inside and out seems a good way to get a good shot or break down in the zone. If Duam is the high post, if they don't collapse he can attack the rim, if they do, he can dump off to thiesen on the low block or back to king or Jenkins or flatten or telly on the wings.
                              Unfortunately, when Denver went to the zone in the second half, Daum and especially Theisen were limited in minutes because of foul trouble. When we played zone a year ago, it seemed like teams put shooters in the corners and we gave up a lot of open three's from there. Flatten and Telly have been good shooters from the corners, so they should be good options.

Comment

Can't we just watch game film from last year and just do what every team did against our zone? Should be good for a school record in 3 pointers the first time out.

Comment

Working...
                                X