Goedert and Wieneke invited to NFL combine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goedert and Wieneke invited to NFL combine

Read a tweet from a scout that said Goedert has only been running for two weeks. So three weeks from now, if Dallas feels he is back to 100%, does his agent arrange to have him run an officially timed 40 and provide that info to teams ?

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
      If a guy can't run the 40 due to injury risk, he'll never make it in the NFL anyway.

Goedert's proneness to injury is why I've always had the opinion he'll never make it in NFL in the first place.

Obviously I could very well be wrong. I hope I am.
      Todd McShay tweeted this: "SDSU TE Dallas Goedert killed Pro Day today. Combo of 6.86 3cone, 4.07 short shuttle, 35” Vert., and 10-1 Broad would be really good for a 200 lb WR. Dallas weighs 257. People complaining about him not running a 40 (post SR Bowl inj) are laughable. He and Hurst easily top 2 TEs"

laughable.

Comment

If Goedert's agent would have thought running the 40 time was beneficial he would have ran it...... My guess is a team told his agent that they will select him at X pick, and once his agent had that conversation his agent felt it wasn't worth it.

You have to look at it this way.... He runs a 4.6 flat he might move up to what 18 top..... he runs a 4.85 and comes up lame he could drop to late 2nd/early 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          Todd McShay tweeted this: "SDSU TE Dallas Goedert killed Pro Day today. Combo of 6.86 3cone, 4.07 short shuttle, 35” Vert., and 10-1 Broad would be really good for a 200 lb WR. Dallas weighs 257. People complaining about him not running a 40 (post SR Bowl inj) are laughable. He and Hurst easily top 2 TEs"

laughable.
          I'm just saying he's injury prone. Hopefully getting on an NFL workout regimine will cure his ails.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

He won’t make it past the Eagles at 32. Their TE coach was drooling over him. If he would happen to make it to the second round, expect a team to trade up. Dallas was very impressive yesterday. He likely cemented himself as a late 1st to early 2nd type of guy. Teams will have to decide if they prefer him or Hurst. Him, Streveler, and Ohnesorge really helped their cause. Wieneke also had a good, but not great day. I didn’t see the 40 time on Mengarelli but he looked really good in the drills.

Overall it was an awesome day. The other players, not named Dallas and Jake, owe those two if they get a FA invite to a camp. What an awesome opportunity for them. AND they seemed to perform well too. The USF athletes, the Augie OL, and the other SDSU and USD athletes really benefitted from having all 32 teams in the house.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Goedert has all the tools. Only thing that would bother me is that he’s been hurt a lot.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Curious why people think Goedert is all of a sudden injury prone? He didn't have a problem staying on the field in his first 3 years of college eligibility and last year, while he was banged up and had some nagging injuries, he never missed any extended period of time. Matter of fact, most of the time he was held out it was precautionary, as there was no reason to take the risk of playing him when we had big leads/talent disparity on the opponent.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  Curious why people think Goedert is all of a sudden injury prone? He didn't have a problem staying on the field in his first 3 years of college eligibility and last year, while he was banged up and had some nagging injuries, he never missed any extended period of time. Matter of fact, most of the time he was held out it was precautionary, as there was no reason to take the risk of playing him when we had big leads/talent disparity on the opponent.
                  I agreed with you, although I do recall a couple of games last season where Goedert seemed hobbled and used largely as a decoy (which you alluded to), so I tried compiling some data on players commonly recognized as 2018 draft's top TE's;
                  a recent report has Hurst from South Carolina possibly being drafted before Goedert due to purportedly being a better blocker, but I sometimes question whether teams having their eye on a specific player "float" these criticisms in an attempt to influence other teams' draft decisions.

Player comparisons are for Goedert, Mark Andrews (Oklahoma), Mike Gesicki (Penn State), and Hurst. Interesting fact on Hurst is that he spent a couple years playing minor league baseball after high school, so one concern for him could be his age -- he'll be 25 this August. Also curious if Andrews' camp has some positive "intel" that caused him to leave school early, as it doesn't appear he's being mentioned as top TE very much. Should also mention that Andrews was listed as a WR in 2015 Sooners media guide.

Anyway, data suggest Goedert's reputation for being injury-prone may be due to the recency of the Senior Bowl hamstring issue rather than games missed during season. Hopefully everyone but the Vikings focuses on the injury "history" and the Vikes have a couple former Jacks on their roster this season (if only to counter Sharknado 3 "star" Tom Compton's 'Yoteliness).

2018 TE Data.jpg
                  Last edited by jakejc795; 04-01-2018, 05:30 AM.

Comment

All 3 of the other top TE prospects have some questions that could scare off some teams. Hurst will already be 25 by next season, Andrews is diabetic and an average athlete who doesn't really block, Gesicki is a below average blocker and can struggle against physical coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                      Decided to check the stats - the Jacks played 53 games during Goedert's 4 playing years, and he played in 51 of them. He missed 2 consecutive games during his sophomore year. He did play some games less than 100% healthy, but I think you could say the same about Jake Wieneke, who also was bothered by some nagging injuries during his career.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        Decided to check the stats - the Jacks played 53 games during Goedert's 4 playing years, and he played in 51 of them. He missed 2 consecutive games during his sophomore year. He did play some games less than 100% healthy, but I think you could say the same about Jake Wieneke, who also was bothered by some nagging injuries during his career.
                        The 2015 Youngstown and UNI games?

If so, I think he played in all 12 games that season; he just didn't have any receptions those games.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                          The 2015 Youngstown and UNI games?

If so, I think he played in all 12 games that season; he just didn't have any receptions those games.
                          You are correct. I saw he had no stats for those games and assumed he didn't play. So he played in all 53 games possible in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            You are correct. I saw he had no stats for those games and assumed he didn't play. So he played in all 53 games possible in his career.
                            So injury prone. There's no way he lasts in the NFL.

Comment

Rooting for him, I hope he does make it in the NFL.

1-23-18
                              Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              To my untrained eye he seemed slower this year. Maybe some of that had to do with injuries. I think that 250-260 would be his ideal weight at the next level.
                              JMU Game thread
                              Originally posted by ThomasJack View Post
                              Or some inside info on Goedert's health!
                              Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                              Did anyone actually think Goedert was not going to play?
                              I think most knew he'd suit up. It's always been a question, for me anyway, how effective he'll be in the game.
                              From the UNH playoff game
                              Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                              Great drive and run by Taryn to score.

Goedert was working out on the elliptical so hopefully he comes back in.
                              From the Missouri State game thread
                              You can tell how much that hip/oblique issue hurts Dallas. He just doesn't look to have the speed or power that he did last year.
                              I could keep going.

Look, obviously he's NFL talent. No doubting that. He played basically all year if not more through whatever injuries and still basically dominated. I'm just concerned he'll never get to show it off at the next level if he's constantly hurt. Teams aren't going to sit around and wait for him to be healthy. Again...maybe, hopefully an NFL workout regimen will cure whatever has been nagging him.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                                Rooting for him, I hope he does make it in the NFL.

1-23-18

JMU Game thread

From the UNH playoff game

From the Missouri State game thread

I could keep going.

Look, obviously he's NFL talent. No doubting that. He played basically all year if not more through whatever injuries and still basically dominated. I'm just concerned he'll never get to show it off at the next level if he's constantly hurt. Teams aren't going to sit around and wait for him to be healthy. Again...maybe, hopefully an NFL workout regimen will cure whatever has been nagging him.
                                Sure, he’s gotten dinged up. A lot of that has to do with how physical of a player he is IMO, but there’s several star TEs in the NFL who have had injury problems throughout their career, namely Gronk and Greg Olson, but both have had great careers. You have to remember that being a first or second round draft pick he’s going to get a lot more rope than our normal guys who get signed as a UDFA or a late round pick. He’ll get his shot, that’s almost certain. Personally I’m not worried about it as much as you obviously are. Part of why we noticed to the level we did is he was such a huge part of our offense, and I’m sure NFL teams and these scouts notice things on tape as well but he still is very high on the board.

You’re making far to big of a deal about the 40 time IMO. If you look at it from his agents perspective, he’s already locked in as a top 2 right end in the draft, and most are predicting late first early second round pick. There isn’t a forty yard dash time in the world he could have put out there that would significantly improve his draft stock as a TE. A great 40 time would maybe bump him 5-10 spots? Maybe? In the first round there are only so many teams looking at drafting a tight end at all. But if he has a bad day or even worse tweaks his hamstring he could see his stock take a much heftier hit than he could possibly gain by a good time. From the business side of things, why risk it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X