Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colorado State

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    The word "traitor" gets thrown around far too casually nowadays.
    It’s definitely being used casually here, but he’s pretty much Benedict Arnold to me.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      The word "traitor" gets thrown around far too casually nowadays.

also".....is worse then Hitler"
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        It’s definitely being used casually here, but he’s pretty much Benedict Arnold to me.
        Its called looking through BLUE AND YELLOW glasses.

Comment

If we see him in newly renovated blue neckwear on the SDSU bench in a newly renovated Frost Arena sometime in the future I am sure opinions will change.
          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

From what I've read, here is the updates (and some personal opinions) on what is going on at Colorado State.

Denver media is getting behind South Dakota's own Becky Hammon to take over, she has been involved in different assistant coaching/Summer league roles for the Spurs.

Others ? if with the disaster at Colorado State currently, if that is the move you make. Do you fight the fire with a fiery pick, or do you go with the former CSU assistant? In Craig Smith.

Personally I'd question working in the CSU administration right now, I'm not saying Larry Eustachy is an angel, but he has been around, and his reputation is what it is. If you bring in a coach like him, you have to have his back unless he is leaving marks so to say. They screwed up when they put him on an improvement plan, but let it slip that some wanted him fired. That is just fuel for those in, around and outside the program to feed off of.

Going into a program that fired their coach for this type of a reason will be hard for any coach to handle. There will be supporters of his, and then there will be those that the supporters feel drove him out. So it could be an interesting decision.

$ talks, and I'm guessing this job will be north of $800K on at least a 3 year offer, so we will see.

Comment

The AD that hired Eustachy got fired after the first investigation into his conduct. He had a pretty sweet buyout worked into his deal, so the new AD kind of had to wait for his conduct to give him a reason for him to be gone to avoid paying that. Probably figured it was inevitable given his history.

I've seen all the calls for Becky Hammon as well. She will probably be the first woman to get a shot at some point, but I can't imagine she would leave a sweet gig in the NBA for a dumpster fire.

If Smith gets the job does mooney grad transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                From what I've read, here is the updates (and some personal opinions) on what is going on at Colorado State.

Denver media is getting behind South Dakota's own Becky Hammon to take over, she has been involved in different assistant coaching/Summer league roles for the Spurs.

Others ? if with the disaster at Colorado State currently, if that is the move you make. Do you fight the fire with a fiery pick, or do you go with the former CSU assistant? In Craig Smith.

Personally I'd question working in the CSU administration right now, I'm not saying Larry Eustachy is an angel, but he has been around, and his reputation is what it is. If you bring in a coach like him, you have to have his back unless he is leaving marks so to say. They screwed up when they put him on an improvement plan, but let it slip that some wanted him fired. That is just fuel for those in, around and outside the program to feed off of.

Going into a program that fired their coach for this type of a reason will be hard for any coach to handle. There will be supporters of his, and then there will be those that the supporters feel drove him out. So it could be an interesting decision.

$ talks, and I'm guessing this job will be north of $800K on at least a 3 year offer, so we will see.
                Latest news from CSU

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/0...te-basketball/

They haven't even talked to Hammond. At the salary they are going to offer ($650K), I doubt she even considers it. She earns more now and is line to take over the Spurs when Popovich retires, which may not be that far away.

The Hammond angle may be more of a publicity stunt. Pretty sure Smith and Medved will be at the front of the line, unless Hammond shocks everyone.

Comment

Other than it being her alma mater, I can't think of one good reason why Hammon would want to leave a higher paying job where she is likely to advance to the head job in the not to distant future, to a potential resume wrecker of a job. Where you would go from working with professionals to spending most of your off season running around the country trying to convince teen-age boys to commit to your program.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Other than it being her alma mater, I can't think of one good reason why Hammon would want to leave a higher paying job where she is likely to advance to the head job in the not to distant future, to a potential resume wrecker of a job. Where you would go from working with professionals to spending most of your off season running around the country trying to convince teen-age boys to commit to your program.
                    Looks like USD and Drake fans can breathe a bit easier today. CSU taking a more experienced route.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/1...k-fox-georgia/

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                      Looks like USD and Drake fans can breathe a bit easier today. CSU taking a more experienced route.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/1...k-fox-georgia/
                      There is always someone more qualified looking for work. CSU may have found their guy in a place not called Vermillion.

Comment

Looks like CSU is down to 5 finalist for the job and Craig Smith is one of them:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...ach/446031002/

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          Looks like CSU is down to 5 finalist for the job and Craig Smith is one of them:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...ach/446031002/
                          I think it’s his to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            I think it’s his to lose.
                            I really don't get all the hype or worry coming out of Vermillion about Smith? What has he really done or won? Seems like his recruiting is heavy from Texas which might not fit CSU's foot print real well. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach but many may fall into that category. He might be a 2 for 1 deal which could have some appeal?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                              I really don't get all the hype or worry coming out of Vermillion about Smith? What has he really done or won? Seems like his recruiting is heavy from Texas which might not fit CSU's foot print real well. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach but many may fall into that category. He might be a 2 for 1 deal which could have some appeal?
                              He's turned USD into a contender in four years. When he started USD was playing on Saturdays in the SLT and expected to lose. USD's rise under Smith has been steady.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                He's turned USD into a contender in four years. When he started USD was playing on Saturdays in the SLT and expected to lose. USD's rise under Smith has been steady.
                                Look beyond the Summit league and IMO I bet you could find a truck load of coaches with similar resumes. I guess time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X