Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colorado State

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    This will be a yearly thing with Otz until some big program snatched him away. That’s the life of a mid major. Unless we have some big donors step up to pay a monster salary, like UNI, which I doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Otz isn’t a Brookings lifer anyways. He’ll leave eventually. Only person on the staff I could see doing that would be Klink if things worked out for him down the road.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Let me throw out another school in the region that might be in the market for a new coach in the off-season... Kansas State.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        Otz isn’t a Brookings lifer anyways. He’ll leave eventually. Only person on the staff I could see doing that would be Klink if things worked out for him down the road.
        I gotta think Klink stayed banking on a chance to be the next head coach. Anyone else feel that way?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I gotta think Klink stayed banking on a chance to be the next head coach. Anyone else feel that way?
          I am thinking his resume would be lost in a national search, but we are no longer D2. He would be a cheap solution but what about recruiting networks? Does he have any?

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            I think/thought the same thing about most of the players being Nagy's recruits (except for Jenkins Jr and Key) but recruiting was supposed to be what TJ is known for so you never know. Some teams might think that if he can recruit to Iowa St and Washington (to a very small extent SDSU- Jenkins Jr) that he can recruit wherever.
            TJ knows more of that than anyone. Does he think he can recruit to SDSU? How good are the red-shirts? If he thinks he is going to have some down years, well then he'd probably at least listen if given the chance. I think he might get some calls, I don't know if he is established enough or has a strong enough connection to a program to get a solid look. As for Smith at USD, he has connections to Colorado St. and it is most likely going to be open, so that will give him that chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
              I think the bigger schools would want to see at least 4 years out of a head coach before pulling the trigger on them. But who knows? TJ does have quite the resume pre-SDSU. If I was an AD I would want to see at least a year of him coaching "his" guys and without the best player in school history that he was handed.

As a jacks fan I selfishly hope I'm right, but fear I may not be
              I would think that his ability to walk into a very successful program and win games without "his guys" would be very attractive to an AD. He has also taken that best player in school history and developed a system that has made him even better, not to mention that same system taking a guy known as a defensive player (King) and allowed him to develop even more than under the previous coach.

In his limited time he has shown that he can recruit guys and make them successful (Orris) and also recruit an instant impact player (Jenkins, Jr). Next year we will see more of how his recuitment pans out with the 4 red-shirts.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                IMO Klink needed to get out of Brookings and get some experience in other programs before taking over this men's team. I think that he is a great guy, but I am just not sure he is a Division I coach yet.

If I recall correctly, isn't that why Austin left for Colorado State? To get more experience to work his way into a head coaching position?

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  IMO Klink needed to get out of Brookings and get some experience in other programs before taking over this men's team. I think that he is a great guy, but I am just not sure he is a Division I coach yet.

If I recall correctly, isn't that why Austin left for Colorado State? To get more experience to work his way into a head coaching position?
                  Austin and Klink are two vastly different scenarios. I think Austin moved on to get more experience beyond Scott Nagy's program. Since he played here as a player and was now coaching here it's a pretty narrow resume. He needed experience under a different head coach.

I think the same could be said about Klink. His DI experience was entirely under Nagy. Gaining experience under a different system gives him a more complete resume. I'm not sure Klink would ever get a DI head coaching opportunity following Nagy around.

That being said I have no idea if Klink is ready to be a DI coach, but I have confidence that Sell will make a good decision either way.

Comment

Austin was at Northern Colorado, not Colorado State. Not that it is a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                      Austin was at Northern Colorado, not Colorado State. Not that it is a big deal.
                      This is correct. There was a an assistant from SDSU that got the head coaching job at UNC and he hired Austin Hanson. That head coach B.J. Hill I believe is his name. He got in some trouble with NCAA and is no longer the HC at UNC. I think Austin's involvement with UNC might affect his future in that he is associated with a NCAA Sanction.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/1...all-sanctions/

Comment

I would think that his ability to walk into a very successful program and win games without "his guys" would be very attractive to an AD. He has also taken that best player in school history and developed a system that has made him even better, not to mention that same system taking a guy known as a defensive player (King) and allowed him to develop even more than under the previous coach.

In his limited time he has shown that he can recruit guys and make them successful (Orris) and also recruit an instant impact player (Jenkins, Jr). Next year we will see more of how his recuitment pans out with the 4 red-shirts.
                        If you have a winning team and you keep them winning, does that mean you are a great coach? To me that just means that you can coach talented players. It will be interesting to see what type of players are "his guys". He might like a little more speed but he seems like a coach that would like this team. Other than a little speed, he might have walked into the ideal team with all of the shooters.

Jenkins Jr- Home run!
                        Orris- I think he did a good job of bringing Orris in but I don't know how successful TJ made him. Orris did score some more at SDSU but the rest of his game seemed about the same as the player that started at Northern Illinois.

King and Daum were just freshmen before TJ got here so I would like so see some improvement regardless of who the coach is.

King- He only played a third of the game(14 minutes) his freshman year. He plays about twice as many minutes now. He had players like Marshall, Parks, Daum, Bittle, Moffitt and Reed that all played more and shot more than King. Did he have a more rounded game but just not have enough opportunities to show us?

Daum- The main thing I think he did for Daum is play him more. Below are some per game stats (rough).
                        Freshman- 21 minutes, 15 points, 6 rebounds
                        Sophomore- 32 minutes, 25 points, 8 rebounds
                        Junior- 31 minutes, 23 points, 10 rebounds
                        These numbers show that Daum puts up about the same % of stats depending on playing time. Daum's FG% and 3-point FG% have dropped slightly each year (I think everybody would take his numbers though). His TO % is getting better each year though.

I can't wait to see how the 4 red-shirts to play because I think they will make SDSU more explosive then they have ever been before.
                        This might sound like I'm down on TJ. I think he is a good coach but I don't know if he has done enough for me to say he will move too high up the coaching ladder after this season. If everybody that can comes back and the recruits are any good, SDSU might have two great years in a row so you never know. But I am not paid the big bucks to make the decision so what do I know.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                          If you have a winning team and you keep them winning, does that mean you are a great coach? To me that just means that you can coach talented players. It will be interesting to see what type of players are "his guys". He might like a little more speed but he seems like a coach that would like this team. Other than a little speed, he might have walked into the ideal team with all of the shooters.

Jenkins Jr- Home run!
                          Orris- I think he did a good job of bringing Orris in but I don't know how successful TJ made him. Orris did score some more at SDSU but the rest of his game seemed about the same as the player that started at Northern Illinois.

King and Daum were just freshmen before TJ got here so I would like so see some improvement regardless of who the coach is.

King- He only played a third of the game(14 minutes) his freshman year. He plays about twice as many minutes now. He had players like Marshall, Parks, Daum, Bittle, Moffitt and Reed that all played more and shot more than King. Did he have a more rounded game but just not have enough opportunities to show us?

Daum- The main thing I think he did for Daum is play him more. Below are some per game stats (rough).
                          Freshman- 21 minutes, 15 points, 6 rebounds
                          Sophomore- 32 minutes, 25 points, 8 rebounds
                          Junior- 31 minutes, 23 points, 10 rebounds
                          These numbers show that Daum puts up about the same % of stats depending on playing time. Daum's FG% and 3-point FG% have dropped slightly each year (I think everybody would take his numbers though). His TO % is getting better each year though.

I can't wait to see how the 4 red-shirts to play because I think they will make SDSU more explosive then they have ever been before.
                          This might sound like I'm down on TJ. I think he is a good coach but I don't know if he has done enough for me to say he will move too high up the coaching ladder after this season. If everybody that can comes back and the recruits are any good, SDSU might have two great years in a row so you never know. But I am not paid the big bucks to make the decision so what do I know.
                          If Daum returns next year. I believe the Jacks could have the best team they've had in the D1 era, and maybe of all time. I don't think Otz walks away from that unless he gets blown away by an offer. Iowa State is having a sub-par year. I don't think Prohm will be on the hot seat after one bad season, but if things aren't different next year the natives might get restless. And I think there would be mutual interest if that job would open up.

Comment

If TJ was to get this job and do well he would probably be a shoo-in for the Iowa state job whenever it opens again. Is he that guy if he stays in Brookings? We will probably find out what TJ thinks by how quickly he tries to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                              If TJ was to get this job and do well he would probably be a shoo-in for the Iowa state job whenever it opens again. Is he that guy if he stays in Brookings? We will probably find out what TJ thinks by how quickly he tries to move on.
                              I think it comes down to if he is able to recruit to the area and how stable he feels the Summit is as a conference. Teams like Wichita State, Gonzaga, Butler, etc have shown that you can have success at the highest level without spending all that time in a P5 conference.

SDSU was very lucky to have had the main 3 sports (FB, MBB, WBB) have long term coaches. I just don't see us having that kind of longevity from here on out. It will either be the department parting ways via termination (lack of continued success by the coach) or poaching by other programs (continued successes by the coach). I think keeping an eye on TJ, and Bono, will be an interesting barometer for when we lose AJ and Stig.

Comment

I think it comes down to if he is able to recruit to the area and how stable he feels the Summit is as a conference. Teams like Wichita State, Gonzaga, Butler, etc have shown that you can have success at the highest level without spending all that time in a P5 conference.

SDSU was very lucky to have had the main 3 sports (FB, MBB, WBB) have long term coaches. I just don't see us having that kind of longevity from here on out. It will either be the department parting ways via termination (lack of continued success by the coach) or poaching by other programs (continued successes by the coach). I think keeping an eye on TJ, and Bono, will be an interesting barometer for when we lose AJ and Stig.

not to rehash old threads but Stig is going to be here till he decides to retire. our a couple of horrible seasons with bad records not making the playoffs. I doubt we have to worry about him wanting to stick around another 20 years.

I think if you find the right coach and get the right pay, I could see people like bono or Otz staying. Like mark Few at Gonzaga, long way till we get there clearly. but being a top mid major isn't a bad gig at all. depends on what the coach wants, but keep the pay increasing to be competitive and we might have some coaches stick around away.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X