Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colorado State

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
    I really don't get all the hype or worry coming out of Vermillion about Smith? What has he really done or won? Seems like his recruiting is heavy from Texas which might not fit CSU's foot print real well. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach but many may fall into that category. He might be a 2 for 1 deal which could have some appeal?
    Took a floundering program in Vermillion and turned them into a winner. He does recruit Texas, which, along with Colorado is CSU's footprint. The Front Range of Colorado is heavily populated by Texas transplants. Heck, the entire state is populated by Texas transplants. Half of my neighbors here on the Western Slope came from Texas. Plus, you may want to take a closer look at his roster, there are as many Coloradan's on the roster (plus Mooney from Air Force) as Texans.

He has proven he can win. He has proven he can recruit. He is very well known in Ft Collins and across the Front Range. Is a former Mile's assistant, Mile's being the guy LOVED in Ft Collins to this day. He has a personality that is the polar opposite of Eustachy and he would be thrilled to take the $600,000 - $650,000 salary CSU are reported willing to pay.

And let's be honest, if not for SDSU Smith would have likely taken USD to two NCAA tournaments.

I don't know if it is his to lose, I think it will be a former Mile's assistant now that Fox has pulled his name. The two with head coaching experience, Smith and Medved. I expect it will be one or the other.

Comment

Sounds like it's gonna be Medved from Drake.
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
        Sounds like it's gonna be Medved from Drake.
        That's what is being reported. What's funny, when his name came up again I popped over to the Drake board to see what they had to say. Not one post about Medved possibly leaving. I think Drake fans are going to be shocked if the reports are true. Completely blindsided.

Comment

Medved to CSU reported by ESPN: https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...81286118768641

Will Drake make another run at Smith?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            Medved to CSU reported by ESPN: https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...81286118768641

Will Drake make another run at Smith?
            That ship has sailed. I feel sorry for Drake. Reading some Tweets it would seem that even the AD may have been blindsided, not knowing till very recently. Three days ago the AD was pumping up Medved on Twitter stating how bright the future at Drake was going to be with him at the helm. Now he is in search of a new head coach, who will be walking into a situation where he will be losing 4 of their top 6 scorers. Medved had 7 new freshmen coming in, he will likely take several with him. Things are going to be very ugly in Des Moines. Medved may have buried that program.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
              That ship has sailed. I feel sorry for Drake. Reading some Tweets it would seem that even the AD may have been blindsided, not knowing till very recently. Three days ago the AD was pumping up Medved on Twitter stating how bright the future at Drake was going to be with him at the helm. Now he is in search of a new head coach, who will be walking into a situation where he will be losing 4 of their top 6 scorers. Medved had 7 new freshmen coming in, he will likely take several with him. Things are going to be very ugly in Des Moines. Medved may have buried that program.
              It will be interesting to see how many of the new freshmen will follow Madved from Drake to Colorado State.
              Colorado State had 18 players listed on their roster with only 4 seniors. How many of them are walk-ons, how many will leave because of a new coach, will they ask any to leave the program?
              I also don't know how many recruits already signed at Colorado State. Will they ask those players to leave so some of his recruit can follow him there. I don't think that would look very good but you never know.
              There is a lot that will have to be sorted out

Comment

So Smith turns down Drake job and then Drake hires Medved, then they are both finalists for Colorado and they choose Medved over Smith. Kinda ironic isn't it.
                Last edited by Sodakbull; 03-22-2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                  So Smith turns down Drake job and then Drake hires Medved, then they are both finalists for Colorado and they choose Medved over Smith. Kinda ironic isn't it.
                  Is it possible there is more to the story then just Niko Medved takes job. Not sure Smith would turn down the CSU job if offered, but there is weird news coming out of Iowa and the Drake AD's press conference. It almost sounds like Medved may have been CSU's second choice.

https://twitter.com/MatthewBain_/sta...28595598807040

https://twitter.com/MatthewBain_/sta...28786833960961

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                    Is it possible there is more to the story then just Niko Medved takes job. Not sure Smith would turn down the CSU job if offered, but there is weird news coming out of Iowa and the Drake AD's press conference. It almost sounds like Medved may have been CSU's second choice.

https://twitter.com/MatthewBain_/sta...28595598807040

https://twitter.com/MatthewBain_/sta...28786833960961
                    Once a coach enters the room to interview for a new job, nothing they say publicly should be taken too seriously. They have to pretend to be wanting the new job but have to keep the current job open without making their current boss and players mad, if the new one doesn't happen. Its a fine line or maybe Colorado just upped their offer too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                      Once a coach enters the room to interview for a new job, nothing they say publicly should be taken too seriously. They have to pretend to be wanting the new job but have to keep the current job open without making their current boss and players mad, if the new one doesn't happen. Its a fine line or maybe Colorado just upped their offer too.
                      He didn't say anything publicly, he did say something to the Drake AD, which turned out to not be true. Every coach informs his AD and often times the school wanting to interview the coach contacts the school currently employing the coach. Burning bridges at the D1 coaching level is not a very good idea. The Drake AD seems to be insinuating he was either lied to, or at least not given the full story. I doubt Medved and Hardin will be swapping Christmas cards this year.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/stat...490782725?s=19
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Does Mooney follow him?

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                            Does Mooney follow him?
                            if he does our chances to win again increase dramatically.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I like Craig Smith. I always thought he would make a good replacement for Otz someday. Smith will feel right at home in Utah being overshadowed by other State school.

Comment

Craig Smith leaving is bad for the Summit but good for SDSU.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X