Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: ndsu bison vs SDSU Jackrabbits @ Frost Arena

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Agree with this outside of Daum. He still makes some boneheaded plays on defense and just makes you wonder if he even cares on that end of the floor. Just one example is when Deng Geu dribbled right around him from the right elbow and went in for an easy dunk. Daum didn't even think about trying on that possession. Could have someone else helped better, probably, but I literally started laughing out loud at that play it was so bad. And this was mid-2nd half when he only had 1 foul so staying out of foul trouble wasn't the mindset anymore.
    At times he does make nice plays on the defensive end. Moreover, his willingness to grab rebounds anywhere near him has been a huge boost for the team. That is evident by him averaging a league best 9.8 rebounds/game, Javan White from ORU is second in the league at 8.7/game.

However, the times when he has been abused on the defensive end it has been the lack of movement with his feet. As quick as he is with his feet on the offensive end, you'd think he would be a better stopper in the paint. I think he's gotten away with being bigger and longer than his opponents that he relies on his wingspan to alter shots. (He's 5th in the Summit in blocks. He's also 2nd on the team in steals/game.) When I watched Theisen in the paint last night on defense, he worked his butt of with his feet first. Then he did a good job using his length and staying vertical to alter/block shots. Rarely did he leave his feet playing defense, which, kept him in good position for fakes and reduced the number of fouls. (He still is the 2nd highest in fouls/minute played on the team, but that has more to do with him not being as athletic.)

Daum is playing just over 31 minutes per game. His strengths are on the offensive end and that is his best defensive weapon. He wears people down at that end so they are less effective on the other end. With all of those minutes, I can see that he must be conserving energy on the defensive end of the floor. It appears to me that it is more mental than physical. I suspect that when he needs to step up in big games as the season progresses, that his focus will be stronger and he will have the ability to play strong at that end. Let's face it, he's so much more talented than anyone he's matched up against this year in league play that he hasn't had to push himself on both ends of the court.

What's great is that King has become a defensive monster and many other pieces on the floor have stepped up at certain points this year. When things click on defense like they often do on offense, you get games like last night. I look forward to more of that as the season winds down.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      The Pork Classic listed 3500 and this crowd filled the bleachers more completely. The student section was also more crowded. The wife & I certainly had it estimated close to 4000. It never was too quiet during the action. It was a very good home atmosphere.
      My wife and i said the same thing. We guessed it would be 4000. I think they forgot to count a 1000 people. If Frost is suppose to hold 6500, where would they have put another 3200 people?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        My wife and i said the same thing. We guessed it would be 4000. I think they forgot to count a 1000 people. If Frost is suppose to hold 6500, where would they have put another 3200 people?
        There is another set of bleachers they didn't pull-out. Also, I'm pretty 6500 would be completely packing the bleachers with people, and it's not like the one's they had out were completely full.
        Rollin' in my 5.0
        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
          Pork Classic had the west side bleachers down with quite a few people sitting in them....was the west or east side down last night? That could be part of the disparity.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
            Pork Classic had the west side bleachers down with quite a few people sitting in them....was the west or east side down last night? That could be part of the disparity.
            The east side was down and it was very full. A couple of rows at the bottom in middle were not full. It was much fuller than FW game and the south bleachers were much fuller. The count was not accurate or there were more reserved seats open than I thought. It was a good crowd for noise when needed. I am guessing 9000 for Feb 22.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
              There is another set of bleachers they didn't pull-out. Also, I'm pretty 6500 would be completely packing the bleachers with people, and it's not like the one's they had out were completely full.
              I realize that but how many people can fit on either end? Certainly not 3000. But it doesnt matter. The crowd we have is always loud. We may not have the best arena in the conference but we win there more than other teams win on their home floor, year in and year out. I thought i heard that we have the 5th longest home winning streak in the country right now.

Comment

That win was very satisfying!

It's been covered above but the Jacks played well defensively last night. They need to keep moving in this direction. King was unreal at both ends but six steals was the punctuation mark. Key is fantastic on defense. He is like the fly that is always bugging you but you can never swat it. Pesky!

Keep this momentum going! Now for a much needed week off to heal up a bit.

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Fun game last night. The crowd was good and there was some electricity in the air.

In my opinion any shot Mike Daum takes is a good shot. The guy next to me last night just bitched all night about him. I don't get it. Best scorer in school history. We may never see a player with his ability to score in an SDSU uniform again. Looking back on it I may have said the same thing about Nate.

Interesting fact in the Nitty Gritty and RPI reports. We have a very interesting running mate right behind us.
                  SDSU 71 and Wright St 72.
                  http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/rpi-live

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    Agree with this outside of Daum. He still makes some boneheaded plays on defense and just makes you wonder if he even cares on that end of the floor. Just one example is when Deng Geu dribbled right around him from the right elbow and went in for an easy dunk. Daum didn't even think about trying on that possession. Could have someone else helped better, probably, but I literally started laughing out loud at that play it was so bad. And this was mid-2nd half when he only had 1 foul so staying out of foul trouble wasn't the mindset anymore.
                    Let's not forget the Bison are a very good team. Deng Geu made some moves that were the best I've seen from him and I've watched him since high school days. The Bison defense is very good...stifling at times. The Jacks continue to show growth as a team, and in this game, the growth was particularly evident when we were on defense. The win was all-the-more impressive when one considers the Jacks have played a lot of games in a very short time.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                      Fun game last night. The crowd was good and there was some electricity in the air.

In my opinion any shot Mike Daum takes is a good shot. The guy next to me last night just bitched all night about him. I don't get it. Best scorer in school history. We may never see a player with his ability to score in an SDSU uniform again. Looking back on it I may have said the same thing about Nate.

Interesting fact in the Nitty Gritty and RPI reports. We have a very interesting running mate right behind us.

Go Rabbits!
                      Every player can improve, but is crazy the guy next to you found much to complain about him.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post

Go Rabbits!
                        If I recall, Daum had 21 pts at half on 18 shots and he ended with 31 on 10 of 25....not the most efficient, but seriously, how can you get mad at a guy like Daum putting the ball at the bucket?

Telly didn't get much last night...only 4 shots, were the Bison purposely shutting him down?. Really it seemed like the Bison decided to let Daum get his and try to stop everyone else. Would those that were able to watch closer agree? I couldn't watch close enough on tv.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                          Congrats to the Jacks on a well played game. We stuck around for a bit, but the outcome never really seemed in doubt. In the first half every time there was something happened to cheer about (for a Bison), Daum would answer. It was nice of him to take more of a back seat in the second half to let the rest of the Jacks beat us. Good luck the rest of the way.
                          Thank you!
                          I think that USD and SDSU will battle it out for the #1 seed but I think SDSU will pull it out.
                          I think the game between NDSU and IPFW will be the game to see who the #3 and #4 seeds are. It seems weird that NDSU might be having a down year and they still might be the #3 seed. They will need some of their younger/new players to step up because losing Miller will hurt but that is next year. We should worry about this year first.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            Thank you!
                            I think that USD and SDSU will battle it out for the #1 seed but I think SDSU will pull it out.
                            I think the game between NDSU and IPFW will be the game to see who the #3 and #4 seeds are. It seems weird that NDSU might be having a down year and they still might be the #3 seed. They will need some of their younger/new players to step up because losing Miller will hurt but that is next year. We should worry about this year first.
                            their one freshman I think can pick up more of a scoring load for them. as long as they don't have anymore of the Dex type players I am ok with that. I don't know how he was able to play there for like 7 years. or maybe it just seemed like it.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                              Congrats to the Jacks on a well played game. We stuck around for a bit, but the outcome never really seemed in doubt. In the first half every time there was something happened to cheer about (for a Bison), Daum would answer. It was nice of him to take more of a back seat in the second half to let the rest of the Jacks beat us. Good luck the rest of the way.
                              Thanks for your graciousness, TAB. A lot of Jacks fans, myself included, will be cheering for the Bison to knock off the Coyotes on Saturday.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                                If I recall, Daum had 21 pts at half on 18 shots and he ended with 31 on 10 of 25....not the most efficient, but seriously, how can you get mad at a guy like Daum putting the ball at the bucket?

Telly didn't get much last night...only 4 shots, were the Bison purposely shutting him down?. Really it seemed like the Bison decided to let Daum get his and try to stop everyone else. Would those that were able to watch closer agree? I couldn't watch close enough on tv.
                                Daum actually had 21 points at the half on 20 shots and 2 TO's. I heard TJ say/joke that he doesn't remember seeing somebody shoot the ball 20 times in a half before. If you count the TO's as shots, 21 points in 22 shots which isn't the greatest. Daum actually had 20 shots and the rest of the team had 15 shots at halftime.
                                Daum played great in the second half. He had 10 points, 6 rebounds and 0 turnovers on 5 shots.
                                That looks like he might have forced somethings in the first half and didn't in the second half. Some of that might have been that Jenkins and Co. picked it up in the second half.
                                Last edited by 91jack; 02-02-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X