Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Mastodon WBB vs Jackrabbit Pork Classic

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    There is one more factor to why Ellie may be struggling. It is not as much as moving from the 4 to the 5 position. It is losing a very good player named Ober who may have been a part of the reason Ellie had more opportunities. The running game does not create the post play the same way. I am not saying Ellie has not struggled(plus a gimpy ankle too) this year compared to last year play, but she is in a different situation in more than one way.
    I said the same thing too earlier in the year about her moving to the 5. But she has had enough time, as well as the coaching staff to figure it out. She's an experienced player for heavens sake. Now, if she has been fighting a sore ankle(which I haven't heard about) then ok, I'll cut her a little slack. Otherwise she has been the biggest disappointment this season. IMO

Comment

The supposed switch from a mythical 4 to a 5 this year hasn’t changed her role one iota on the offensive end. She has missed far too many easy shots and is hesitant when given the chance. This offense would benefit from a big who can take her player one and one as teams are hesitant to double down for fear of the kick out 3. Ellie has had every chance to be successful and hasn’t come through. Perhaps there has been an injury, so maybe this game was the sign that she is getting well. Or perhaps FW is just aweful and Ellie took advantage of a freshman. We’ll see going forward I guess.

Comment

I would invite all that have this horrible string of performances to study a couple of the stats that make every players line. After this exercise, I would like to find how horrible it is compared to the other players. Often we are looking for faults in a player and ignore the players mistakes that we have a fondness. Looking at the numbers, I would say we have some players taking too many 3 pt shots. Although if that is the case, I am guessing the coach will change that behavior.
        http://sdstate_ftp.sidearmsports.com...B/teamcume.htm
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I would invite all that have this horrible string of performances to study a couple of the stats that make every players line. After this exercise, I would like to find how horrible it is compared to the other players. Often we are looking for faults in a player and ignore the players mistakes that we have a fondness. Looking at the numbers, I would say we have some players taking too many 3 pt shots. Although if that is the case, I am guessing the coach will change that behavior.
          Ellie was one of my favorites coming into this season. But let's face it, she hasn't performed. She just doesn't seem to be able to finish the "and 1" chances, she misses bunnies, it just seems like she has lost a step. We need to get Myah back. I realize she is a freshman and does make some mistakes but she adds a lot more to the team. This will help Ellie as the other team has focus on Myah. With that said I really like how Tagyn has come along, at the start of the season she looked like a fish out of water, but now she has caught up to speed and will be, and is, a good/great asset. I would start Myah and Tagyn if it were me. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
            Ellie was one of my favorites coming into this season. But let's face it, she hasn't performed. She just doesn't seem to be able to finish the "and 1" chances, she misses bunnies, it just seems like she has lost a step. We need to get Myah back. I realize she is a freshman and does make some mistakes but she adds a lot more to the team. This will help Ellie as the other team has focus on Myah. With that said I really like how Tagyn has come along, at the start of the season she looked like a fish out of water, but now she has caught up to speed and will be, and is, a good/great asset. I would start Myah and Tagyn if it were me. JMO
            Point made. You are much like the guy that sits next to me as we banter about this very issue. Every mistake by Ellie is talked about until I did the same thing every time another player he was very fond and high on missed a layup, turned the ball over, or she did not get a rebound. Who missed some layups on more than one occasion against USD? This is an exercise that is not healthy. The coaching staff will bench those players who are not providing all those items you outline in your perspective. Meanwhile, coaching is likely working for improvement every game in order to win the SLT and they have learned to live without perfection in every play. By the way, did you check the stats? It "seems" the numbers do not illustrate the things you mention.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Selland's injury must be more serious than we suspected. She's certainly been out longer than initially expected. When and if she'll be back is anyone's guess.
              This space for lease.

Comment

You are right, but looking at the team 3 pt shooting percentage, lots of teams would die for a .354%. Now, I think you'd agree , that having multiple players who can hit a 3 out on the perimeter is much more dangerous than some teams that have a couple. More than likely, someone will be wide open, especially if they start to ignore the perimeter too much. This is why we salt our team with so many shooters, who also have other skills, take Maddie for example, she will take it all the way to the hoop and score if they come out on her too fast and she gets around her defender. Sure I'd like to see a few players have a little better percentage than they do so far, but if they're wide open and are fairly decent, it makes us more dangerous if they can hit a few crucial shots. And also, we shoot .354% and are holding the opposition to .332%, so we are doing a good job there.

You are right, stats don't lie and are unbiased and are simply a record of past performance, I kind of like stats too, but every player having a good stat line is just about never going to happen with any team, especially how many players we play, and try and let get better, for the future good of the team.We do a good job of balancing our substitutions of players with the greater objectives we are trying to achieve I think.

Players do get better shooting in game situations if they get enough experience at it and become comfortable with shooting them. Our best shooters do take the majority of the 3 pt shots right now, but we let the others take a few also to keep the defense honest and it makes them guard the whole perimeter. If we had a 6'4" or better true post we could utilize,like most P-5 teams do ,then I'd say we wouldn't have to try and open up the middle quite as hard as we try to do now.
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-28-2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Point made. You are much like the guy that sits next to me as we banter about this very issue. Every mistake by Ellie is talked about until I did the same thing every time another player he was very fond and high on missed a layup, turned the ball over, or she did not get a rebound. Who missed some layups on more than one occasion against USD? This is an exercise that is not healthy. The coaching staff will bench those players who are not providing all those items you outline in your perspective. Meanwhile, coaching is likely working for improvement every game in order to win the SLT and they have learned to live without perfection in every play. By the way, did you check the stats? It "seems" the numbers do not illustrate the things you mention.

Ok, we will agree to disagree. I'll take Maddi, you take Ellie!

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                    Ok, we will agree to disagree. I'll take Maddi, you take Ellie!
                    I prefer ground chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Selland's injury must be more serious than we suspected. She's certainly been out longer than initially expected. When and if she'll be back is anyone's guess.
                      I agree, but to me anyway, it should be as long as it takes, it's faster in the long run to getting them back and keeping them on the floor if you let an injury heal up completely, rushing a player back sometimes ends up backfiring and the player might have to sit out again even longer if they re-injure it because it wasn't quit healed well enough.Again,JMO.

Comment

I guess I’m not sure what the stats are refuting there Old Hare. Looking at them (which I have done often prior to now) basically reinforce what we already know. I have thought this team settles for far too many 3’s based off the true lack of great shooters outside Macy and Maddie (at least among our starters). In fact, we are a much better team when we work inside out for shots (something which our men seem to have decided to stop doing all together over the last two games). What I get irritated with are missed easy shots around the rim, and far too many times that has been Ellie. Let’s not forget she was a preseason 1st team pick, so her averaging 7 ppg is far from what was expected. But that aside, if she simply made the shots she should make, I honestly wouldn’t care what her numbers were at the end of the day. What people don’t seem to realize is this is the best offensive team ppg wise we have had in a long time, so I’m less concerned with the scoring. I am much more tolerant of Lexi because we at least can bring players off the bench now who can continue to help us build on a lead. But if the point is we shoot too many 3’s, then I agree. But as a perimeter player, why pass inside if the player is going to just stand there or miss a layup anyway? So I can see why maybe we are jacking up a few more shots from deep (not that I agree).

like I said, maybe this is a turning point for Ellie. Heck, maybe it’s a confidence issue and this gets her going. If she can get back to the player she was the last couple of years, I just don’t know how anyone in this league beats us.

Comment

I think we have players who can score inside,Larson does pretty well and Sellend too , so maybe getting the opposition worrying about more than just having to stop Ellie will help us to get more scoring in the paint, reducing the need for as much outside scoring .Bultsma isn't hitting her shot as much as I'd like,she could help out a lot if she could connect just a little better.Macy does well when she's not going up against the really tall ones,because she makes the layins Next year we will have Hirchman (sp?)to help out, but Ellie will be graduated.It seems like when we gain one,we also lose one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

Just talked to someone who has kids going to Sanborn Central and he said Selland has a broken toe. Thought she would miss 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                            X