• Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: USD at SDSU 1/25/18

#buttfootball

*sigh

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
      USD had 20 points off of turnovers. SDSU had 2 points off of turnovers. USD was far more aggressive than SDSU. I wish our ladies would play a little pissed once in awhile. Can't wait for Selland to heal because she adds an important dimension to this team.
      Fact. The way the game was called for the first three quarters really favored USD's style of play. We needed to adjust to that and we didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Fact. The way the game was called for the first three quarters really favored USD's style of play. We needed to adjust to that and we didn't.
        Analysis: correct.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm starting to think playing aggressive, slapping at the ball and reach around defense, although you risk a "reaching in " foul, is the way to go now. The reason I think this is that, "reach in " fouls aren't called at a rate high enough to offset how much it really bothers the other team and prevents them from getting any type of flow to their offense. The more a team plays this style of defense (or aggressively), it seems the more the ref's become comfortable with it and swallow their whistles. The motions are so quick and the viewing angles are so poor, they refrain from blowing their whistle simply because they are unsure enough to simply let play go on.

I've been watching how many times opposing players slap at the ball and how many of those times they get called for a foul, and i'd say 10% if that much. I'd take those odds all game long for the negative impact it would have on the opposing teams offense. They, the refs, are far more likely to call the slightest bump (body contact) of a player driving to the hoop than they are to call a slap at the ball or reach around foul. That's why teams like W. Ill ,to a lesser degree USD etc do it, it's a great equalizer. The more teams utilize this to great effect, the more other teams will join in.The only caveat to all this is you can't just implement this change in style willie-nilly, it'd be way too much of a change once the ref's have become accustomed to your style of play throughout the season,it'd probably backfire on you. It's a calculated gamble I guess.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-26-2018, 12:33 PM. Reason: added content

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            I'm starting to think playing aggressive, slapping at the ball and reach around defense, although you risk a "reaching in " foul, is the way to go now. The reason I think this is that, "reach in " fouls aren't called at a rate high enough to offset how much it really bothers the other team and prevents them from getting any type of flow to their offense. The more a team plays this style of defense (or aggressively), it seems the more the ref's become comfortable with it and swallow their whistles. The motions are so quick and the viewing angles are so poor, they refrain from blowing their whistle simply because they are unsure enough to simply let play go on.

I've been watching how many times opposing players slap at the ball and how many of those times they get called for a foul, and i'd say 10% if that much. I'd take those odds all game long for the negative impact it would have on the opposing teams offense. They, the refs, are far more likely to call the slightest bump (body contact) of a player driving to the hoop than they are to call a slap at the ball or reach around foul. That's why teams like W. Ill ,to a lesser degree USD etc do it, it's a great equalizer. The more teams utilize this to great effect, the more other teams will join in.The only caveat to all this is you can't just implement this change in style willie-nilly, it'd be way too much of a change once the ref's have become accustomed to your style of play throughout the season,it'd probably backfire on you. It's a calculated gamble I guess.
            It's the old "foul them all over the court, the refs won't call 'em all" tactic.

It's cheating, essentially. But: "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying hard enough."
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
              USD had 20 points off of turnovers. SDSU had 2 points off of turnovers. USD was far more aggressive than SDSU. I wish our ladies would play a little pissed once in awhile. Can't wait for Selland to heal because she adds an important dimension to this team.
              Not a good week to be a Jackrabbit. Our arse was handed to us twice. Nough said.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Not a good week to be a Jackrabbit.
                Nonsense. There's never a bad week to be a Jackrabbit. Some are just better than others.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Nonsense. There's never a bad week to be a Jackrabbit. Some are just better than others.
                  Oh I dont know, no joy in Mudville as Casey struck out. When the rival wins fair and square, its not a good feeling, but I can not see not being a Jackrabbit. So lets hope the clouds are lifted this Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Oh I dont know, no joy in Mudville as Casey struck out. When the rival wins fair and square, its not a good feeling, but I can not see not being a Jackrabbit. So lets hope the clouds are lifted this Saturday.
                    The good news is we get to play them again. Maybe 2 more times. Plenty of chances to make Vermillion, Mudville.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                      The good news is we get to play them again. Maybe 2 more times. Plenty of chances to make Vermillion, Mudville.
                      I dont post on the USD board, but one of the moderators, and he is not Yoteforever, got real touchy after the SDSU-USD football game and was kicking SDSU fans off right and left for little or nothing. I think I know how that guy feels now after this week. Our ladies probably performed the best but not good enough to bag a win at home. You have to admit that USED teams are very well coached and they deserved to win this time. Right on Mitchellrabbit we get a chance or two to redeem ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X