GDT: SDSU at USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU at USD

Maybe I missed something from the broadcast as I was in Verm (somewhat unfortunately as we'v played like this at both games I've attended) But did #3 play? was he hurt? If he played and I missed it I'm blaming my #PainPills.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      Maybe I missed something from the broadcast as I was in Verm (somewhat unfortunately as we'v played like this at both games I've attended) But did #3 play? was he hurt? If he played and I missed it I'm blaming my #PainPills.
      Howell did not play and Severyn played garbage minutes only.

To those complaining about Smith: get over it! I've already said this, but him thanking the students for their involvement in the win is great for the program. Students will remember that and might come back to watch another game. Him running around to alumni/ fans while Midco was trying to interview him wasn't so great. To be honest, we don't know how TJ or his players would react with students/ fans because of how Frost is set-up. Maybe he would go over to the Student Section after every game if they were at court level and all together in one spot; we don't know. Also, comparing Bono does make sense because they are D1 coaches. There are definitely duals where you can tell the opposing coaches don't like how he behaves. Bono is good for our program, school, and the sport, but there are definitely people who don't like his behavior during duals (I'm sure I would get annoyed with him real quick if I was from an opposing school.)

To the person saying to bench Jenkins: ARE YOU NUTS?!? Jenkins is probably the best find by TJ and has totally earned a starting role on the team as a freshmen. Benching him because he was trying to do something when it seemed like nothing was working for the Jacks seems a bit excessive. Who do you want to replace him? Beau with his still healing arm? Get over this loss; there's a lot more season and a tournament to go! The Jacks will only get better after this loss.
      Rollin' in my 5.0
      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
        Howell did not play and Severyn played garbage minutes only.

To those complaining about Smith: get over it! I've already said this, but him thanking the students for their involvement in the win is great for the program. Students will remember that and might come back to watch another game. Him running around to alumni/ fans while Midco was trying to interview him wasn't so great. To be honest, we don't know how TJ or his players would react with students/ fans because of how Frost is set-up. Maybe he would go over to the Student Section after every game if they were at court level and all together in one spot; we don't know. Also, comparing Bono does make sense because they are D1 coaches. There are definitely duals where you can tell the opposing coaches don't like how he behaves. Bono is good for our program, school, and the sport, but there are definitely people who don't like his behavior during duals (I'm sure I would get annoyed with him real quick if I was from an opposing school.)

To the person saying to bench Jenkins: ARE YOU NUTS?!? Jenkins is probably the best find by TJ and has totally earned a starting role on the team as a freshmen. Benching him because he was trying to do something when it seemed like nothing was working for the Jacks seems a bit excessive. Who do you want to replace him? Beau with his still healing arm? Get over this loss; there's a lot more season and a tournament to go! The Jacks will only get better after this loss.
        An excellent post. The board is experiencing butt hurt big time. Funny the disloyalty of Austin Hansen has not been mentioned so far and for that reason only I bring up his name. I had to look at the USED website to see if he is still coach down there. If we all had the energy of half pint Bono, there would be no need for social welfare. The man knows how to motivate. So does TJ, but what ever was his game plan, it did not work last night. He too, will get better. Jenkins??? He might just welcome a rest after reading what has been said here. Upon rechecking, there was only one negative post. Benching Jenkins would be like benching Michael Jordon in game 7 of the NBA Finals because he under-preformed in game 6.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 01-25-2018, 07:14 AM.

Comment

full disclosure...I have not seen one minute of last nights game. That said, I feel like I got on a thread from a year ago when the team was in danger of not making the league Tourney. Good lord, it's one game.

We lost, they won. It was a home game for them and the exorcised the demons from the Denny. Celebrate the heck out of that. Don't be jerks about it(which I don't believe they were) but enjoy it with the 5000 that came out on a Wednesday night in Vermillion! There is nothing wrong with celebrating a victory especially after beating your big brother(I should know, I'm the little brother, I think I've celebrated twice...one of those I think he let me win). I don't like losing to them ever but go crazy. Now if he celebrates like that after throttling Western than maybe I may say it's excessive. We all figured they probably wouldn't go undefeated in the Summit. They have good tape on how to fix a few things and I was thinking they were due to have an off shooting night eventually.

1 game people, there's bound to be another one or two in there. Remember last year we would've killed for a 2-3 loss league record.

Comment

The Coyotes were really good last night in their own building. They were good on both ends of the floor. Mooney plays with an edge and he sets the tone for their team. The Yotes had more grit last night. They flat whipped us last night.

The shots weren't falling. When that happens you have to have something to fall back. It could be owning the glass, playing gritty defense, limiting turnovers, or any combination of those or others. Last night we did none of that. That is what makes this Jacks team vulnerable. I hate the clichéd, "losing a game may be the best thing that could happen to this team" mantra but after last night there isn't a whole lot else that can be said by Jacks fans. We got exposed. Better now than in the Summit Tourney. They have the opportunity to address it and get better which I fully expect them to do.

Please don't mistake my love for the team. I love this team. They are the most talented bunch we ever have. If anything I'm guilty of wanting success for them because of their talent and the fact that they are better people off the court than on. They have a chance to do something very special.

So, let's hope last night was a once off event and onward and upward.

FYI, I was at the game last night. The Coyotes have a great facility and the fans showed up and made it a great environment. Good game Yotes! You whipped us. No two ways about it. Looking forward to having you up to our gym next month.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Some incredibly dumb posts on this thread.

This was one game. ONE. GAME. If the season ended today we'd still be conference champions. We control our own destiny.

I've watched enough of this team to know last night was not the team we normally are. If you pay any attention to SDSU basketball or college basketball in general, you know there are games like this all the time where a team lays an egg. It doesn't mean we all of a sudden suck.

Did anyone happen to catch Theisen's comments after the Western Illinois game? They made me cringe a bit. If anything this should wake them up as I kinda thought maybe they were starting to feel themselves a little.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

This was one game. ONE. GAME. If the season ended today we'd still be conference champions. We control our own destiny.

I've watched enough of this team to know last night was not the team we normally are. If you pay any attention to SDSU basketball or college basketball in general, you know there are games like this all the time where a team lays an egg. It doesn't mean we all of a sudden suck.

Did anyone happen to catch Theisen's comments after the Western Illinois game? They made me cringe a bit. If anything this should wake them up as I kinda thought maybe they were starting to feel themselves a little.
                I didn't catch those comments so please enlighten us. I'm guessing he was doing some chest pounding after beating a terrible team.

I agree...this is one game. After watching it on TV and wanting to throw my remote through my TV I quickly cooled off once I remembered watching the North Carolina vs. Virginia Tech game on Monday night. Va. Tech completely destroyed them in their own house and UNC looked uninterested and zero effort. It happens at all levels of basketball every single year.

As Aaron Rodgers once said.....RELAX.

We will be fine.

Comment

I still believe the Jacks have a good chance to win the regular season title. That being said, I don't think it makes much difference for Summit tourney seeding as long as you finish 1 or 2, and I don't think there is any way that doesn't happen. At this point, there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut #3 team that you would want to avoid in the semi's. The women are a different story - being the #1 seed would mean not having to play USD or Western until Tuesday. Which would be a big advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    I didn't catch those comments so please enlighten us. I'm guessing he was doing some chest pounding after beating a terrible team.

I agree...this is one game. After watching it on TV and wanting to throw my remote through my TV I quickly cooled off once I remembered watching the North Carolina vs. Virginia Tech game on Monday night. Va. Tech completely destroyed them in their own house and UNC looked uninterested and zero effort. It happens at all levels of basketball every single year.

As Aaron Rodgers once said.....RELAX.

We will be fine.
                    He was saying how even when Mike doesn't have a great game that they can hang 100 on anybody. It came off, to me at least, very cocky.

I'm sitting there thinking if USD needs any motivation, just play that in the locker room.

Comment

Credit the Coyotes. They are good. They were at home, and out executed the Jackrabbits on both ends of the floor. They deserve the win.

Adversity can be a good thing.

It's a long season, and there is a great deal of basketball left to be played. (Jeesum crow, remember last season?)

I have faith in the team.

USD has a nice facility and a good coach. Their improvement only serves to make our program better. Hats off to them. Now, let's hope the team bounces back on Saturday!

Comment

He was saying how even when Mike doesn't have a great game that they can hang 100 on anybody. It came off, to me at least, very cocky.

I'm sitting there thinking if USD needs any motivation, just play that in the locker room.
                        Who knows it may have been played in the locker room. BTW where were the rest of the guys last night? They forgot to board the bus.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 01-25-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I didn't read this entire thread (only went back about 7 pages), nor did I see the postgame with Craig Smith.

From the comments I did read, though, it seems like time would be better spent talking about our squad. Craig Smith is a hell of a coach and falls from the Tim Miles coaching tree. If any of you haven't seen Tim coach, he's exuberant and has a child-like happiness when things are going well. It's fun to get behind as a fan, and that's what Craig knows and grew up with as a coach. There's nothing wrong with it, really. Call it cocky if you want, but it's really not a huge deal, and we as SDSU fans have more important things to worry about.

Yeah, the game was kind of a coming to Jesus moment. We're not a Top 25 team in the nation and we got exposed big time. Honestly it hurt us a lot to come out of the gates red hot from deep. After that we got sooooo attached to the 3 point line. USD started defending it better and we got stagnant. Fact of the matter is it took the coaching staff far too long to get us adjusted and try to get good looks going to the basket.

My biggest complaint of the game is not getting Daum any post touches. When things stop working from the perimeter, we simply need to get better inside-out ball movement. Stick Mike on the block and let him work. I highly, highly doubt Hagedorn would've been able to effectively stop him from the deep post. USD would've doubled all night and we could kick out for decent looks or at least had better driving/cutting lanes. We do a good job of spaced out motion, but it seemed entirely necessary to play more traditional with Daum and get normal post touches. I like him on the perimeter, but we don't need to go completely away with him as a traditional big.

Also, Skyler has untapped potential still offensively. He's been a scary good shooter, but he can drive effectively if he decides to be in that mindset. Anyone remember when he dunked on a dude's family in the 2015 SLT against Western? He had an extremely strong drive in the first half last night that I can recall. We need more of that from him.

When USD got going offensively, they were making everything. Tyler Peterson is not going to be as good offensively as he was tonight going forward. Simpson had about 100 wide open threes. We got burned for going under screens all night. Simply have to clean up on defense.

When we face these guys again at Frost and in the SLT championship game, we need someone to match Mooney's intensity and swagger. That person needs to be Tevin King. I don't care if Tev has to play 40 minutes, but he needs to be our lockdown guy that bothers Mooney all night. Get chippy, piss him of a little, but Tevin King needs to be in Mooney's face for 40 minutes and not help off at all. Mooney's cockiness (I mean that in a good way) is seriously admirable. We need someone who wants to be as bad as Mooney, and it's gotta be Tevin.

USD coached better last night and wanted it more. I expect we'll see a better SDSU team next time out against these guys. Honestly, I think we just need to be a meaner team. We need some bad blood. Didn't seem like any of our guys hate USD. They need to hate USD and show it on the court. That's how Mooney plays.

Stop getting stuck at the 3 point line, get better post touches, take better care of the ball, have more desire on defense, and find some freakin bad blood from here on out. Hate USD with all our hearts on February 22nd and when we meet them on March 7th for a #12 seed in the tourney and show it on the court. We'll be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            Death, taxes, sdsu bball struggles in verm.
                            Exactly. Most of us felt we needed to win 4 road games to win the league title. What is our current record on the road in league play this year?

We were not going to run the table on the road in league play. Vermillion is a tough place to play. Add in a USD team (see Mooney's comments prior to game) feeling a bit butt hurt and you have the perfect set up for a game like you saw last night. Take a breath folks, it is one game and one game only. We have lost in Vermillion, to teams which were not as good as this year's USD squad. Time to move on.

Comment

Isn't he a Journalism major?

Flatten, King and Daum played really good. If Daum wouldn't of had about half of the teams rebounds, I might not have put him on this list.
                              Reed played good but we needed him to shoot more than 6 shots in 32 minutes. He should get more than 3 rebounds playing that many minutes, too.
                              Ian, Key and Jenking Jr. all just had a bad game. They couldn't shoot or rebound. They did play some defense but that was about it.
                              IPFW is playing in Brookings but they might be the third best team in the Summit League so the team better be ready to go on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                                Isn't he a Journalism major?

Flatten, King and Daum played really good. If Daum wouldn't of had about half of the teams rebounds, I might not have put him on this list.
                                Reed played good but we needed him to shoot more than 6 shots in 32 minutes. He should get more than 3 rebounds playing that many minutes, too.
                                Ian, Key and Jenking Jr. all just had a bad game. They couldn't shoot or rebound. They did play some defense but that was about it.
                                IPFW is playing in Brookings but they might be the third best team in the Summit League so the team better be ready to go on Saturday.
                                Not sure what Ian's major is. His comments just struck me as cocky, almost like nobody in the Summit can beat us with this offensive fire power. If there was those thoughts in that locker room I'm guessing they got erased last night.

As far as our potential. I look at it like this. Last year we beat USD two out of three times. Our only loss was 2 points in vermin. If you look at the season resume as a whole sure we weren't as good, but we also weren't as bad at the end of the year as our resume would say. I believe we were better than USD at the end of the year last year. The only contributors we lost were Hess and Orris and Hess didn't play much in the SLT. USD lost Flack who troubled Daum more than any other post in the Summit.

We gained a great scorer in DJJ and TK has improved his game 10 fold. Skyler and Lane are shooting with confidence.

All this leads me to the conclusion that last night was an aberration. I don't believe for second USD is 19 points better than us. USD played near perfect and we played about as bad as we could. Are we better than USD this year? I think we are but it's damn close.

Comment

Working...
                                X