Almost GDT: Jackrabbits vs Mangy Dogs @ SCSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost GDT: Jackrabbits vs Mangy Dogs @ SCSC

Summit game of the week has #6 SDSU vs #9 USD in the new and improved dome pit SCSC. It has the #1 defense vs #1 offense in the Summit. Most of the players are known commodities with the Coyotes missing Hurst who provided 7 pts, 4.6 boards, and some good defense. As always, it is hard to win games on the road. It will be a battle of the defense that allows 67 points vs the offense that scores 87 points. This could be the largest or 2nd largest crowd to watch a basketball game at the SCSC. Last year it was 5200+ for the same opponents. Last year it was 91-89 in favor of the Coyotes. Jackrabbits outscore the Coyotes in 2018. Jacks maintain 1rst place. Go Jacks!!
    Last edited by OldHare; 01-23-2018, 08:48 PM.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: Almost GDT: Jackrabbits vs Mangy Dogs @ SCSC

Winnable game, but the Jacks can't start in a big hole like they have a couple of recent USD games. The Jacks will draw USD's biggest crowd of the year to the mini dome. Hopefully the Jacks will dull the home crowd's spirit early.
    This space for lease.

Comment

I expect this USD team to be more motivated tonight than any group of mangy dogs we've faced in recent years. Mooney, in particular, is going to be looking for revenge and I expect he's going to have a big game. Whether or not that will be enough will depend on how well we do with open shots. USD defends well but they have not had to focus on anyone recently the way they're going to have to with Daum. Jenkins, Telly and Flatten will be out on the perimeter waiting to do some damage - and Hurst won't be available to lock one of them down.

We're not going to lose the regular season title with a loss tonight but we sure can boost our odds of winning it. It won't be easy.

Comment

It seems to me that USD is at their best when they can just focus on defending laterally. If we can get some dribble penetration and couple it with inside/outside passing, we should be able to handle them. If the guys get complacent and stand at the perimeter, we will struggle. I can see another game in which Jenkins Jr leads us in scoring and Daum seals the win with FTs and rebounding.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Ken Pomeroy has USD winning by 3. A Jacks win in Vermillion would be an upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I really don't know how to feel about this game.
            USD will be pissed about last seasons Summit League tournament and they are playing at home. I just think that other than adding Fuller, USD hasn't gained much from last years team. USD have lost Flack, Dickerson and now Hurst from last years team. Their players have improved some but have their returners improved more than SDSU's?
            SDSU on the other hand has improved quite a bit. They did lose Orris and Hess (when he was healthy) but that is it. I think their returning players improved as much or more than USD's. SDSU also added Jenkins Jr. and Key. That should give SDSU the advantage at home and on a neutral court but how about @ USD?
            Like others have said, SDSU is a shooting team this year. If they shoot good @ USD they should win. If they struggle to shoot, they should lose. In most of the other games in conference, SDSU's shooting shouldn't matter as much but USD is one of the few teams in the conference that could be able to beat SDSU either way.
            I think SDSU will win by a score of 78-72.

Comment

I don't care if we are playing USD in a game of croquet, go for the throat and never let go. Ever.

Comment

I am expecting a tight game. The Jacks have more offensive firepower, the Yotes are stingier defensively.

I do think our team has improved more in that time, but take nothing away from them... they were very good last season, and they are very good this year.

It's just going to come down to making plays, like always. If Daum and Jenkins and Telly are all hot, it'll be trouble for them. If they can cover Daum well (I expect a lot of double teams), Jenkins/Telly/Flatten will have to make them pay.

Tevin King guarding Mooney will be a giant factor. He'll probably get his, but Tevin is a very good defender...make him work for it, so he's not as effective on the other end. (Mooney also a solid defender) Hope Tevin can stay out of foul trouble.

Comment

Mooney is usually the final 10 minute guy that comes through. He does not seem to look for his shots consistently until crunch time and he allows other players opportunities earlier. He may want to score more early tonight, but it would be more likely he heats up the last 10+ minutes.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                    Ken Pomeroy has USD winning by 3. A Jacks win in Vermillion would be an upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    The betting market agrees, as USD is a 3 point favorite.

I found Mooney's quote interesting: "It's Crazy... Everybody out here is watching those games. They've run the state for a little bit, but we want people to know this is our state and we want it to be our state."

We'll see about that. My guess is USD makes a run or two in the game to take the lead, but SDSU has too much firepower to be held down for long. SDSU by 8.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      The betting market agrees, as USD is a 3 point favorite.

I found Mooney's quote interesting: "It's Crazy... Everybody out here is watching those games. They've run the state for a little bit, but we want people to know this is our state and we want it to be our state."

We'll see about that. My guess is USD makes a run or two in the game to take the lead, but SDSU has too much firepower to be held down for long. SDSU by 8.
                      if refs call a tight game, favors USD, if they let teams plays, favors SDSU. Hostile road games are hard to win, I would like to win but it wont ruin my day. USD is pretty good and we will have a chance to play in Frost also. As long as the big picture of the season is in play, that's more important to me then one game. a win over the 2nd place team though would be yyyyuuuuuuge boost in the conference race.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        This is the stuff that makes these games special. I think there were many that worried with the influx of out-of-state players after the move, and the long layoff in head-to-head, that the rivalry might not have that edge.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I'm very interested in seeing how our opponent tonight plans to guard Mr. Daum. I don't think they'll have an answer for him. Close but SDSU makes some free throws late and wins by seven.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                            I'm very interested in seeing how our opponent tonight plans to guard Mr. Daum. I don't think they'll have an answer for him. Close but SDSU makes some free throws late and wins by seven.

Go Rabbits!
                            Me also. Last year Tyler Flack was a big part of the reason USD stayed close in all three games. He was quick enough that Daum couldn't abuse him (too much) off the dribble and big enough to be an obstacle on the inside. He also was a handful defensively. Hagedorn looks like a nice Summit League post, but he's no Flack.

Comment

We have to play better then we played Vs Mo. St. Do that and it's our game to lose. I like the Rabbits.

Comment

Working...
                              X