X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs WIU Leathernecks in Macomb

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Matt Zimmer
    .@GoJacksMBB entered tonight's game ranked 5th in Division I in 3-point percentage and 11th in scoring. Then they scored 98 points and went 14-for-28 from 3.

This team is nuts offensively. I know some of you are stuck in the 90s and hate the 3 point shot, but it's here to stay and we do it better than almost anyone.
    I love it! Stuck in the '90's. This is the best offensive team that the Jacks have ever had. That is awesome and I love it. It is really fun to watch. I don't have some desire to see a slow-down, grind it out style. However, if these guys want to win a game or two in the tournament they will need their impressive offense and have to improve defensively. Now, there has been progress on the defensive end the last few games. Let's hope that keeps going and come tournament time other teams will be looking at us as much for our defense as our offense.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      I love it! Stuck in the '90's. This is the best offensive team that the Jacks have ever had. That is awesome and I love it. It is really fun to watch. I don't have some desire to see a slow-down, grind it out style. However, if these guys want to win a game or two in the tournament they will need their impressive offense and have to improve defensively. Now, there has been progress on the defensive end the last few games. Let's hope that keeps going and come tournament time other teams will be looking at us as much for our defense as our offense.

SUPERBUNNY
      There was something posted on our defense awhile back. We weren't as bad defensively as the PPG numbers make it look. We play at such a fast pace offensively we give up more possession which inflates that number. IIRC we were 2nd behind USD in that adjusted defensive metric.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        There was something posted on our defense awhile back. We weren't as bad defensively as the PPG numbers make it look. We play at such a fast pace offensively we give up more possession which inflates that number. IIRC we were 2nd behind USD in that adjusted defensive metric.
        I don't doubt that for a second and it makes sense that we allow more possessions given the pace we play at offensively. That said, we have been giving up way to many easy baskets. It is improving every game though which is what is important. What happens when we have that "off" game and the shots aren't falling? Need to get the stops. When you get both we blow teams out.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          I don't doubt that for a second and it makes sense that we allow more possessions given the pace we play at offensively. That said, we have been giving up way to many easy baskets. It is improving every game though which is what is important. What happens when we have that "off" game and the shots aren't falling? Need to get the stops. When you get both we blow teams out.

SUPERBUNNY
          I agree with you. If we are expecting to win the Summit League tourney let alone an NCAA tourney game or two we need to be elite defensively. We've been winning games so easily lately that it's hard for me to tell if the defensive performance is a product of the game situation or not. It's gotta be difficult to play lock down defense when we are up 20.

Comment

David Jenkins Jr is the Summit POW with 1 game.
            http://gojacks.com/news/2018/1/22/me...-the-week.aspx
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              I agree with you. If we are expecting to win the Summit League tourney let alone an NCAA tourney game or two we need to be elite defensively. We've been winning games so easily lately that it's hard for me to tell if the defensive performance is a product of the game situation or not. It's gotta be difficult to play lock down defense when we are up 20.
              From what I'm gathering the only reason our offense has been successful is because we play against crappy defense? could it be for some 20 years we have been told defense is the only thing that matters? Our scoring ability puts pressure on the opposition to keep up which is a form of defense as well. The days of a final score of 50-52 are over. We have a different style of play than most are used to and I for one like it.

Comment

I would not say they play bad defense. It is much like the rumor that Daum does not play defense. Maybe the Midco feed or Jackrabbit Access is not good enough. Also, the team has been improving the defense. The high powered offense uses the entire shot clock infrequently unless it is late in the game and the score is in favor of the Jackrabbits. The pace of play will also give the opponent more opportunities for shots. The early part of some games when teams are running preset plays against the Jackrabbits or late in the game when the outcome is obvious there may be some defensive problems, but I would not go out and say the defense is some kind of substandard.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                  From what I'm gathering the only reason our offense has been successful is because we play against crappy defense? could it be for some 20 years we have been told defense is the only thing that matters? Our scoring ability puts pressure on the opposition to keep up which is a form of defense as well. The days of a final score of 50-52 are over. We have a different style of play than most are used to and I for one like it.
                  Not sure if I've insinuated we've played against bad defensive teams or if you're getting that from somewhere other than this board.

As far as you're comment about defense being the only thing that matters. You're spot on. A great offense can be form of defense. We saw this same concept from our football team this year. The part worries some, I think, is that can we count on our defense to get a stop when we really need one?

Right now we are playing at an extremely high level. A win Wednesday and it's going to be tough to pry the summit league regular season title from us. A loss and it's going to be a dog fight but we still control our own destiny.

Comment

The one piece the Jacks lack that most really good defenses have is a rim protector that contests shots in the paint when the opponents attack the basket. Theisen can do some of that when he's in the game, but all the injuries he has fought through in his career have somewhat limited that ability. And when Mike is playing the post, that isn't the highest priority because the team is going to be hurting if he gets in foul trouble and has to sit for any length of time.

Comment

I think that our football team and basketball team share a few interesting traits. They both are high powered offensive teams led by offensive player(s) that will most likely play at the highest level. They both have the ability to dictate what other teams have to do offensively and therefore can be OK defensively.

When the offense clicks we can play with anyone. NDSU, New Hampshire, Southern Iillinois in football or Wichita, Ole Miss, Iowa in basketball. When the offense isn't clicking we can get exposed quickly because the defense can't carry the day. UNI(first game), James Madison in football and Missouri State in basketball.

I dont feel Im stuck in the '90's. I love watching the offense of both teams. In basketball, it is a three point game and it isn't going back. But when plan A isn't working you have to have a plan B, whether it is a mid range game, attacking the rim or just manning up defensively.

While the games of football and basketball have evolved over time offensively, one thing hasn't changed.....offense wins games and defense wins championships. Look back to football, James Madison and NDSU moved on and Sam Houston and SDSU went home. Two were known for defense and 2 for offense. Look at the NFL, Minnesota, Philly, Jacksonville and NE...all good to great defensive teams. Does that mean we should change what we do offensively? Of course not, we are a great offensive team but we have to get better on the defensive end. At some point we will have a poor shooting 3 point game......what will carry us thru?

My $0.02

Comment

Working...
                      X