Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential new redshirt rule allows freshman to play in up to 4 games while redshirtin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Potential new redshirt rule allows freshman to play in up to 4 games while redshi

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    Here is our current WR depth:
    X: Adam Anderson, Jadon Janke, Jaxon Janke
    Z: Jacob Brown, Isaiah Hill, Michael Wandmaker, Jayd Vanderwerff
    W: Cade Johnson, Marquise Lewis, Deyon Campbell, Jake Aanderud

Jacob and Cade are dinged up and Marquise and Deyon are probably a week or two from being back. One more injury and we are trotting out true freshmen, redshirt freshmen or walk-on redshirts at a position that is challenging to learn for most. This is a big deal and I'm pretty surprised that no one else seems concerned about this.
    I'm not real shook up about it but I am a little concerned. We are missing 3 of our top 6/7 WR's. If one or both of the "dinged up" players get hurt we could have 1 fairly healthy WR and 1 injured player out of our top 6.
    I hear the attitude that other players have to step up but the other players are between 7-12 on the depth chart for a reason. We do have a good defense and special teams but to go deep in the playoffs, you can't be marching out 3rd or 4th string players. I guess NDSU can win with special teams and running the ball so it is possible. SDSU is deeper than ever so who knows.
    This could be a good example of a freshman playing a game or two until Marquise or Deyon come back and then still redshirt.
    Last edited by 91jack; 10-05-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Re: Potential new redshirt rule allows freshman to play in up to 4 games while redshi

Or maybe this is the time to get our TE's going. Going with fewer WR's and bringing in the TE's could help the running game while still allowing us to spread the field if ISUb goes with a bigger run stopping line up. Would like to see one the TE's develop into that middle of the field/deep seam route threat to open up the outside guys more. Would love to see Cavanaugh get onto the field and up to speed. He seemed like the best receiving option of our TE's.

On a side note, went up to the Brookings Hospital for my annual Avera Wellness screen. While walking through the cafeteria on my way to the conference room I saw Jake Weineke sitting there having a prayer and talking with someone. Sad to see him here rather than on a NFL roster somewhere, but what a great young man!

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Here is where the current freshmen are at in terms of participation in relation to the 4 game rule.
        All 3 games:
        2 games: Mason McCormick
        1 game: Ian Bass, Garrett Greenfield, Max Howard, Cade Terveer
        All 4 games: Blake Kunz, Caleb Sanders, CJ Wilson
        3 Games: Mason McCormick
        1 game: Ian Bass, Garrett Greenfield, Max Howard, Cade Terveer, Jaxon Janke, and Ti'Jaih Davis
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Nebraska junior RB Bell is transferring from Nebraska after 4 games, could red shirt this year. SDSU is listed as one of the institutions that may not contact him for regarding a transfer. Looks like any team that plays them within the next 2 years is listed. I don't know if this is standard practice for transfers being granted, but it's interesting.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ka-cornhuskers

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            Nebraska junior RB Bell is transferring from Nebraska after 4 games, could red shirt this year. SDSU is listed as one of the institutions that may not contact him for regarding a transfer. Looks like any team that plays them within the next 2 years is listed. I don't know if this is standard practice for transfers being granted, but it's interesting.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ka-cornhuskers
            I bet there will be more before spring. I keep hearing how Frost wants/needs “his guys”, yet he’s going to limit where his current players go? Kids currently being recruited by Nebraska take note.

Comment

I read the letter and if I am recalling correctly, it expressly states certain school may not contact Bell. As noted by CappinHard, SDSU is one of the schools.

I'm being lazy and haven't looked it up -- maybe someone knows the answer to this question: Does the restriction apply if Bell initiates the contact?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                I read the letter and if I am recalling correctly, it expressly states certain school may not contact Bell. As noted by CappinHard, SDSU is one of the schools.

I'm being lazy and haven't looked it up -- maybe someone knows the answer to this question: Does the restriction apply if Bell initiates the contact?
                Here's the link with the letter that I meant to post. It lists Bylaw 13.1.1.3, which I'm too busy to look up and try to decipher right now.

https://twitter.com/GregBell_/status...65308081750016

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I keep wondering when this rule will come to an end. In this day an age there must be a law suit just waiting to be filed for limiting someone's personal rights.

Comment

Thanks for the bylaw citation...here's the bylaw and an accompanying bylaw:

Bylaw 13.1.1.3 provides:An athletics staff member or other representative of the institution’s athletics interests shall not make contact with the student-athlete of another NCAA or NAIA four-year collegiate institution, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining the written permission of the first institution’s athletics director (or an athletics administrator designated by the athletics director) to do so, regardless of who makes the initial contact. If permission is not granted, the second institution shall not encourage the transfer and the institution shall not provide athletically related financial assistance to the student-athlete until the student-athlete has attended the second institution for one academic year. If permission is granted to contact the student-athlete, all applicable NCAA recruiting rules apply. If an institution receives a written request from a student-athlete to permit another institution to contact the student-athlete about transferring, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days (see Bylaw 13.02.1) of receipt of the request. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete’s written request within seven business days, permission shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide written permission to the student-athlete. (Revised: 1/10/91, 1/16/93, 1/11/94, 4/26/01, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10)

Bylaw 13.1.1.3.1 states:
                    If the institution decides to deny a student-athlete’s request to permit any other institution to contact the student-athlete about transferring, the institution shall inform the student-athlete in writing that he or she, upon request, shall be provided a hearing conducted by an institutional entity or committee outside the athletics department (e.g., the office of student affairs; office of the dean of students; or a committee composed of the faculty athletics representative, student-athletes and nonathletics faculty/staff members). The institution shall conduct the hearing and provide written results of the hearing to the student-athlete within 15 business days (see Bylaw 13.02.1) of receipt of the student-athlete’s written request for a hearing. The student-athlete shall be provided the opportunity to actively participate (e.g., in person, via telephone) in the hearing. If the institution fails to conduct the hearing or provide the written results to the student-athlete within 15 business days, permission to contact the student-athlete shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide written permission to the student-athlete. (Adopted: 1/11/94, Revised: 9/18/07, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10)

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                      I keep wondering when this rule will come to an end. In this day an age there must be a law suit just waiting to be filed for limiting someone's personal rights.
                      It's a little complicated...and now, more complicated with the cost of attendance payments.

Comment

5 games: Blake Kunz, Caleb Sanders and CJ Wilson
                        3 games: Mason McCormick
                        2 games: Jaxon Janke, and Ti'Jaih Davis
                        1 game: Ian Bass, Garrett Greenfield, Max Howard, and Cade Terveer
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                        X