Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential new redshirt rule allows freshman to play in up to 4 games while redshirtin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential new redshirt rule allows freshman to play in up to 4 games while redshirtin

https://t.co/iAmzXc3xdd
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Re: Potential new redshirt rule allows freshman to play in up to 4 games while redshi

Originally posted by witness View Post
    And at the end of the article it talks about the proposed change in transfer rules where kids don't have to sit out a year is dead. For this year anyways.

Comment

Re: Potential new redshirt rule allows freshman to play in up to 4 games while redshi

Scott Frost thinks open-transfer is a terrible idea -- cites Goedert as an example why.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

The redshirt adjustment rule passed. Players can now play in up to 4 games and still redshirt
        https://twitter.com/yahoodrsaturday/...250220039?s=21
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Here is the Argus report on the rule changes:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/bl...ble/699263002/

Comment

IMO, these changes particularly about transfers were long over due. College athletics is about competition but for administrators to stand in the way of someone who wants to transfer seems to restrict competition. In the real world this would not fly. This new attempt will work I believe despite the very valid points made by Scott Frost, who is quickly adapting to the image of Tom Osborne by his photo in the article link by jacksfaninne. After living in Nebraska for 20 years, I was hammered daily with images of the great Tom Osbone, how can I not mention?

Comment

I think the way I would have dealt with this is:
              All scholarship offers are guaranteed until graduation regardless of eligibility, Performance, Etc.(illegal activity and making the University look bad being the only out.).

Keep the no interference rule and the sit out a year (no offical team activities. So Actually sit out), but if a player sit's out they are entitled to keep their eligibility (one year longer) so long as in good standing and taking at least one class.

No real Penalty for the kids that way like switching jobs a bit, but makes it harder to leave the girl that brought you.
              Also get rid of the one and done rule that is pure garbage.

Disclaimer* This is officially a half baked Idea, But College sports is going to get less fun for me potentially to the point where I don't care anymore. If you can't keep the good guys around it could potentially be like having all freshmen every year.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                I think the way I would have dealt with this is:
                All scholarship offers are guaranteed until graduation regardless of eligibility, Performance, Etc.(illegal activity and making the University look bad being the only out.).

Keep the no interference rule and the sit out a year (no offical team activities. So Actually sit out), but if a player sit's out they are entitled to keep their eligibility (one year longer) so long as in good standing and taking at least one class.

No real Penalty for the kids that way like switching jobs a bit, but makes it harder to leave the girl that brought you.
                Also get rid of the one and done rule that is pure garbage.

Disclaimer* This is officially a half baked Idea, But College sports is going to get less fun for me potentially to the point where I don't care anymore. If you can't keep the good guys around it could potentially be like having all freshmen every year.
                I agree with most of this but look at a couple of things different.

Your scholarship is guaranteed while you are still eligible to play regardless of performance. If you play your first 4 seasons and still need a couple of credits the next year, you have to pay. That way you don't take up a scholarship even though you didn't graduate. If your grades drop, illegal activity or something like that they can pull your scholarship.

I like the sit out a year rule but I think they should be able to practice. I'm sure they are taking a scholarship so why not let them practice? They can transfer to any team at any time (no blocking certain schools) but they have to sit out. That way everybody doesn't jump ship every year. The only way they don't have to sit out is if the team is dropped, the coach leaves or something like that.

I heard that Jay Bilis thinks they should be able to play right away if they transfer because other students don't have to sit out when they switch schools. I think that college athletes are payed by the school so they is a deference there. I guess some students might have other scholarships that give them $30,000/year but I think athletes should be in a different class.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  I like the sit out a year rule but I think they should be able to practice. I'm sure they are taking a scholarship so why not let them practice? They can transfer to any team at any time (no blocking certain schools) but they have to sit out. That way everybody doesn't jump ship every year. The only way they don't have to sit out is if the team is dropped, the coach leaves or something like that.
                  Makes it a bit tougher to transition, and they can't grow by leaps and bounds (with the coaches until playing again) in an offical capacity, also when they are done they would be one more year senior then a 4 year so it's to make up for that a bit as well (at least in my mind)

The other option is to declare all Div 1 Revenue Sport Athletes as Semi-Pro (I'm thinking like the Stampede)
                  Because until someone sues based on the fact that football/basketball are treated different then say wrestling (Connor brown) The NCAA just isn't going admit that it doesn't really care about the sports that don't make it money, and the rules will still be tiered (and there's no logical explanation the NCAA could give as to why, Of course that might be why they made this change).
                  Last edited by slosho; 06-14-2018, 01:52 PM. Reason: speling lol

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                    Makes it a bit tougher to transition, and they can't grow by leaps and bounds (with the coaches until playing again) in an offical capacity, also when they are done they would be one more year senior then a 4 year so it's to make up for that a bit as well (at least in my mind)

The other option is to declare all Div 1 Revenue Sport Athletes as Semi-Pro (I'm thinking like the Stampede)
                    Because until someone sues based on the fact that football/basketball are treated different then say wrestling (Connor brown) The NCAA just isn't going admit that it doesn't really care about the sports that don't make it money, and the rules will still be tiered (and there's no logical explanation the NCAA could give as to why, Of course that might be why they made this change).
                    I see your point.
                    I guess that has me wondering, how many mid-major (or whatever you want to call them) players would transfer 2 or 3 times and spend 7 years in college just to play ball (if you have to sit out every time you transfer)? They already can spend 5 years with a redshirt year. I guess Skyler and Nicole Seekamp might be in that category. The thing with Skyler and Nicole is that they stayed at one school. With the transfer rule, you would have to transfer every other season so they couldn't get used to a coach moving every two years.
                    Especially in MBB with less scholarships, would you take on a lot of 6th and 7th year players and waste a scholarship for two years to have somebody play for one season? I guess SDSU only had about 8 players in MBB last year so they might do that.

Comment

I can see some big concerns over the 4 game redshirt rule. Teams that have only a couple of wins through seven games may start playing more freshmen to get them experience, basically “tanking” games at the end of the year. It happens in other sports and will happen here.

The no transfer rule will mean coaches can recruit players all the time with no consequence to the team acquiring a transfer. A very good program will get better with this rule. They will go get needed players and players jumping ship to them because they want to play with a winner. Conferences will see a bigger separation between top three programs and the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                        I can see some big concerns over the 4 game redshirt rule. Teams that have only a couple of wins through seven games may start playing more freshmen to get them experience, basically “tanking” games at the end of the year. It happens in other sports and will happen here.

The no transfer rule will mean coaches can recruit players all the time with no consequence to the team acquiring a transfer. A very good program will get better with this rule. They will go get needed players and players jumping ship to them because they want to play with a winner. Conferences will see a bigger separation between top three programs and the rest.
                        The only thing the transfer rule change is going to get rid of is the player's current school can't restrict which schools the kids can go to. Other colleges still can't talk to athletes at other schools until their name is on this "transfer list" which means the athletes still have to inform their current school/coach of their desire to transfer. Also, the NCAA is also allowing the conferences to implement a stricter rule that this meaning that if the conference schools agree, they still might not be able to transfer within conference without penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          The only thing the transfer rule change is going to get rid of is the player's current school can't restrict which schools the kids can go to. Other colleges still can't talk to athletes at other schools until their name is on this "transfer list" which means the athletes still have to inform their current school/coach of their desire to transfer. Also, the NCAA is also allowing the conferences to implement a stricter rule that this meaning that if the conference schools agree, they still might not be able to transfer within conference without penalty.
                          Correct - the bigger issue still out there is being able to transfer and be immediately eligible in football and basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            I guess I read this different than you did.
                            I took it as Madi could transfer this year and not sit out but play right away. I can see a lot of players having a good year or two and then just say they want to transfer to move "up". You want good players but rosters could be more in flux.
                            This will take care of the do you redshirt somebody decision. SDSU could have lost Daum to the grad transfer rule but now even if you play them the first year they will not have to sit out so it doesn't matter.
                            I could have read it wrong but this was my take.

Comment

This: https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...e-Rule-By-2021

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X