X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bracketology (2017-2018)

Geno with some kind words about the SDSU's Women's Program

MID MAJORS

Dayton and Buffalo both made the tournament as at-large teams from mid-major conferences.

The Flyers (23-6) get in as a No. 9 seed, despite losing to George Washington in the Atlantic 10 semifinals and will play Marquette in the first round

Buffalo (27-5) is an 11-seed after losing to Central Michigan in the MAC championship. The Bulls face South Florida in the first round in Tallahassee.

UConn coach Geno Auriemma said the respect for those teams is a step forward in the women's game and he believes mid-major teams will make some noise in this year's tournament.

"I'm glad that they got rewarded and I think it should happen more often," he said. "Who else is in, South Dakota State? Yeah, go ahead and play them and tell me they are a mid-major team. Good luck with that."

The Jackrabbits (26-6), champions of the Summit League, are a No. 8 seed and will face Villanova from the Big East in the Spokane Regional.

"I am watching that game," Auriemma said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bids/32877459/

Comment

What section are the Jacks fans sitting in at South Bend? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        What section are the Jacks fans sitting in at South Bend? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Is there a home bench listed? The 8 seed should have that end for this game.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Got some tickets for some friends who are going to be in that area and was surprised at how reasonable the tickets were.

Comment

i paid 41$ for one adult and 2 youth tickets $12 each for youth, $17 for adult. lower arena section 7 row 4.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              i paid 41$ for one adult and 2 youth tickets $12 each for youth, $17 for adult. lower arena section 7 row 4.
              With those prices the place should be packed, pretty reasonable tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                making a run in a 2nd tourney like wnit is not a bad deal. Going to NCAA is the 1st, goal, then advancing in the tournament is the next. If you cant do either of those, why not make the most out of your next best chance. Its more regional coverage, it might mean more games at home etc. Even the CBI and CIT its great for younger players to give them a chance to keep playing and developing. The big picture people will remember we were in the NCAA, small picture is we might get beat out so locally USD or other schools would have coverage after our season is done. Same when we made a good run in the WNIT, it was fun and made the best of it and we were being talked about after USD was done for the year.
                I like your positive position on doing what's best to develop players and maybe even the program to some degree. I always say ,"make the best with what you've got", and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  I swear people on this board made the same arguments the year USD went to the dance.
                  I'd say people have strong opinions on the subject, and they feel the need to reinforce their arguments on a yearly basis.... March deja vu

Comment

Mid-majors complain about getting P-5 teams to come play them at home with H&H deals, well, the WNIT is a perfect opportunity to do that. USD got Oregon at their place the year they won the WNIT and literally destroyed them, it was insane. Oregon this year is the #2 seed in our region in this years NCAA Tournament. Among the teams listed in the WNIT this year are, Alabama, Indiana, TCU, Virginia Tech, Kansas State, Michigan State, Penn State , Purdue, Utah, West Virginia among the P-5 schools, plus you have just about all the best mid-majors that didn't make it into the Dance. Sometimes people have to put their pride aside and do what's best for their program, that's why it doesn't make sense to me that some P-5 teams turn down bids, unless they are overly paranoid of someone getting an ACL tear or something.

Yes, the Dance is definitely greater than the WNIT, but when you can't participate in the NCAA Tournament for the current year, the WNIT is a great opportunity, especially for mid-major programs. To make fun of programs that don't make the NCAA's is just kind of childish to me, sorry. But it is kind of Devilishly fun......

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      Mid-majors complain about getting P-5 teams to come play them at home with H&H deals, well, the WNIT is a perfect opportunity to do that. USD got Oregon at their place the year they won the WNIT and literally destroyed them, it was insane. Oregon this year is the #2 seed in our region in this years NCAA Tournament. Among the teams listed in the WNIT this year are, Alabama, Indiana, TCU, Virginia Tech, Kansas State, Michigan State, Penn State , Purdue, Utah, West Virginia among the P-5 schools, plus you have just about all the best mid-majors that didn't make it into the Dance. Sometimes people have to put their pride aside and do what's best for their program, that's why it doesn't make sense to me that some P-5 teams turn down bids, unless they are overly paranoid of someone getting an ACL tear or something.

Yes, the Dance is definitely greater than the WNIT, but when you can't participate in the NCAA Tournament for the current year, the WNIT is a great opportunity, especially for mid-major programs. To make fun of programs that don't make the NCAA's is just kind of childish to me, sorry. But it is kind of Devilishly fun......
                      Doubt their turning it down has anything to do with injuries, more likely it has to do with losing money. If you host their is a guarantee to Triple Crown. If you don't draw, you don't make money. Most P5 schools are not going to draw for a WNIT game.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                        Doubt their turning it down has anything to do with injuries, more likely it has to do with losing money. If you host their is a guarantee to Triple Crown. If you don't draw, you don't make money. Most P5 schools are not going to draw for a WNIT game.
                        Is the nit seeded and you host the top seeds or is it a bid? depends on how much it would cost but I would think most schools should be able to make that work to host more games. If anything I would guess Ego has to do with it, if they were snubbed from the NCAA or any sort of drama or scandal, they might just want to end the season. My guess is any power 5 teams just think they are too good for the NIT and beyond.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Is the nit seeded and you host the top seeds or is it a bid? depends on how much it would cost but I would think most schools should be able to make that work to host more games. If anything I would guess Ego has to do with it, if they were snubbed from the NCAA or any sort of drama or scandal, they might just want to end the season. My guess is any power 5 teams just think they are too good for the NIT and beyond.
                          WNIT is not seeded. Hosts are determined by bids. It's run by a third party not the NCAA.

The NIT is seeded, higher seeds host.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            WNIT is not seeded. Hosts are determined by bids. It's run by a third party not the NCAA.

The NIT is seeded, higher seeds host.
                            thanks.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I agree, and the fact they don't want to add insult to injury by, heaven forbid, losing to a mid-major team who just happens to be better than them, on one day anyway. Yeah,some P-5 teams are pretty calculating in their decisions, and don't show too much courage either. Hats off to P-5 teams that are in both the men's NIT and the women's WNIT. Respect given to those P-5 teams that have a backbone and paticipate.

Comment

The WNIT was a lot of fun the first couple times and I admit wondering if winning a bunch of games there was better than one-and-done in the NCAA. Not any more. Last year it felt like an afterthought and I'm guessing that's how it will be going forward. The novelty is gone. Maybe things would heat up by the time it was whittled down to 8 teams, but I'm not sure. I imagine USD will go through some of that this year if their team wins enough games for it to matter. Hell, they have a tournament game tonight and tomorrow and their message board spent all day discussing Stig and his Joose.....

Comment

Working...
                                X