Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bracketology

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    We are a one-bid conference. This year will be the same. Wish it was different but it isnt.

SUPERBUNNY
    I agree. I don't know anyone that understands Summit MBB who would argue that point. I guess that we better just run the table.

If the Summit ever wants to become a multi-bid league, we need to either have one team become highly competitive on the national scene (WCC) or have multiple teams have success in the big dance (MVC).
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      I agree. I don't know anyone that understands Summit MBB who would argue that point. I guess that we better just run the table.

If the Summit ever wants to become a multi-bid league, we need to either have one team become highly competitive on the national scene (WCC) or have multiple teams have success in the big dance (MVC).
      The only way it would be different is if SDSU had managed to beat both Kansas and Wichita State. An at-large might be an outside possibility that way. Otherwise . . . nah bro.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I apologize in advance for this dumb question. It maybe has been beat to death on here but I haven't seen it. Why don't we have the regional, close, rivalry matchups on a Saturday night instead of weeknights? It doesn't seem to me like it would be that hard? I must be missing something, but it seems like it would be beneficial to all involved? Sorry for the sidetrack, if one person has a quick answer that would be great, Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
          I apologize in advance for this dumb question. It maybe has been beat to death on here but I haven't seen it. Why don't we have the regional, close, rivalry matchups on a Saturday night instead of weeknights? It doesn't seem to me like it would be that hard? I must be missing something, but it seems like it would be beneficial to all involved? Sorry for the sidetrack, if one person has a quick answer that would be great, Thanks.
          I realize this is off thread, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
            There is no good answer to this question. It makes zero sense.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Also when they have scheduled NDSU or USD during the holidays when students are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                The answer is complicated I suspect. I had thought scheduling was handled the old NCC way which meant 10 years at a time, but was corrected on this board and was told it was done on a annual basis. There has to be gives and takes. What are they? We may never know. Too many details. I don't even know how we are represented at these meetings. It would nice to get a good explanation of this entire scheduling process is working currently. The question does make some sense, and 98farmer is looking at it from a SDSU fan prospective, and wondering why the crowds are not what they used to be when we were D2. Many will recall doubleheaders and those did draw good, but now are separated and revenue is charge for each game.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 01-30-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  but now are separated and revenue is charge for each game.
                  I think that you just answered the question. By not having double headers it allows the ticket office to generate additional income. The last non-holiday break MBB game against USD drew just north of 5000 fans. This year the WBB game against USD drew 3100. That would be 8100 fans in the seats as compared to a "sell out" of frost at 6,500.

Comment

I think they have the rivalry games on weeknights because they will draw more fans than if IPFW for example was in town on a Thursday night. They know weekend games will have better attendance just because it's the weekend so they don't have to have a specific opponent to draw people in. I do wish they would put the rivalry games on the weekends to bring back the atmosphere of the old NCC day's.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      The answer is complicated I suspect. I had thought scheduling was handled the old NCC way which meant 10 years at a time, but was corrected on this board and was told it was done on a annual basis. There has to be gives and takes. What are they? We may never know. Too many details. I don't even know how we are represented at these meetings. It would nice to get a good explanation of this entire scheduling process is working currently. The question does make some sense, and 98farmer is looking at it from a SDSU fan prospective, and wondering why the crowds are not what they used to be when we were D2. Many will recall doubleheaders and those did draw good, but now are separated and revenue is charge for each game.
                      I think having doubleheaders is just a small part of the reason. We just had a doubleheader against IPFW and we only had 3536 fans for the mens game. You have other things like games on TV, non regional foes, tickets cost three times as much, other costs (parking, concessions, etc..) and people are just busier now days. Students don't have to pay to get into the games but they don't even show up. You might have 75 students for the women's games and 200 students there for the men's games unless it is USD or NDSU's men.
                      I wonder if they will look at traveling partners in the near future. I'm not saying that UMKC will rejoin the conference but they will make my example simpler. You have NDSU-UND, SDSU-USD, Omaha-UMKC, Denver-Oral Roberts and IPFW-Westren Illinois. You could play one game on a Thursday and the other on a Saturday.
                      Of course that would have some problems, too. The men's and women's teams would be playing at the same time on Thursday nights. You could stager the Saturday games. There would also be a problem with games being shown on Midco. I think that is part of the reason why we have games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday's now. That way they can show more games live. That would be unless they go back to the men playing on Thursday and Saturday and the women playing on Saturday and Monday. They would still have to choose between 2 or 3 games on each Thursday and Monday but that would take half of the games out of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by hometownjack View Post
                        I think they have the rivalry games on weeknights because they will draw more fans than if IPFW for example was in town on a Thursday night. They know weekend games will have better attendance just because it's the weekend so they don't have to have a specific opponent to draw people in. I do wish they would put the rivalry games on the weekends to bring back the atmosphere of the old NCC day's.
                        I know this is pure nonsense but could there be a little thought of missed classes, too. If you play USD on NDSU, you might only miss a little over one day of class but if you have to travel to Denver, you will miss at least two days if not more.
                        I know this wasn't factored in but there is a little truth to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          I think that you just answered the question. By not having double headers it allows the ticket office to generate additional income. The last non-holiday break MBB game against USD drew just north of 5000 fans. This year the WBB game against USD drew 3100. That would be 8100 fans in the seats as compared to a "sell out" of frost at 6,500.
                          Dollar-wise the separation appears to be working, otherwise our admin would be working on some other plan to either drop back to D2 or find another conference. We dont hear much from our AD about this so its got to be working. IPFW does not have the luxury of being the only game in town like we do and that is why the scheduling does not make much sense to us but to them its okay.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 01-30-2018, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            I think having doubleheaders is just a small part of the reason. We just had a doubleheader against IPFW and we only had 3536 fans for the mens game. You have other things like games on TV, non regional foes, tickets cost three times as much, other costs (parking, concessions, etc..) and people are just busier now days. Students don't have to pay to get into the games but they don't even show up. You might have 75 students for the women's games and 200 students there for the men's games unless it is USD or NDSU's men.
                            I wonder if they will look at traveling partners in the near future. I'm not saying that UMKC will rejoin the conference but they will make my example simpler. You have NDSU-UND, SDSU-USD, Omaha-UMKC, Denver-Oral Roberts and IPFW-Westren Illinois. You could play one game on a Thursday and the other on a Saturday.
                            Of course that would have some problems, too. The men's and women's teams would be playing at the same time on Thursday nights. You could stager the Saturday games. There would also be a problem with games being shown on Midco. I think that is part of the reason why we have games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday's now. That way they can show more games live. That would be unless they go back to the men playing on Thursday and Saturday and the women playing on Saturday and Monday. They would still have to choose between 2 or 3 games on each Thursday and Monday but that would take half of the games out of the equation.
                            I can not imagine all 9 members of the SL are totally satisfied with the current schedule and it comes down to what is going on in each community on game day. Even Brookings seems to becoming more complicated with more things going on so your points are well taken. The Brookings I left to go into the US Navy in 1965 was very different from the current Brookings. No 22nd Avenue, no industrial base, and less people. Enrollment reached a record high of 4200 in fall of 1964 so even the campus was much more simple than now.

Comment

I know this is pure nonsense but could there be a little thought of missed classes, too. If you play USD on NDSU, you might only miss a little over one day of class but if you have to travel to Denver, you will miss at least two days if not more.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I have always thought a Friday-Sunday scheduling would make the most sense for the "Student" portion of student-athlete.

Comment

Working...
                                X