Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracketology

Its way early and there is still a lot of basketball left and things will absolutely change but how about this for a current projection. Couple early upsets and we get to see Nagy in the second round.

Ps. Most places have the jackrabbits as a 12 seed.

73831E87-2AEB-4FF6-9AA6-EA69CAF8237D.jpg

Re: Bracketology

I saw a site that projected the field of 68 that listed every team's current RPI. The Jacks RPI was at 59, and there were 20 teams in with worse RPI's. That would put us in the 11-12 seed range. I did not realize that Buffalo is up to #26 in RPI - looking at their schedule I was surprised that they are over 30 spots ahead of us when both teams have 5 losses. We have 4 top 150 wins (Buffalo-26 and 91-Miss., 133-NDSU and 138-Iowa). Buffalo only has 2 (93-Toledo and 112-Miami of Ohio.) They did lose to a few more good teams, but I was surprised that offset us beating them head to head and having more "good" wins.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      I saw a site that projected the field of 68 that listed every team's current RPI. The Jacks RPI was at 59, and there were 20 teams in with worse RPI's. That would put us in the 11-12 seed range. I did not realize that Buffalo is up to #26 in RPI - looking at their schedule I was surprised that they are over 30 spots ahead of us when both teams have 5 losses. We have 4 top 150 wins (Buffalo-26 and 91-Miss., 133-NDSU and 138-Iowa). Buffalo only has 2 (93-Toledo and 112-Miami of Ohio.) They did lose to a few more good teams, but I was surprised that offset us beating them head to head and having more "good" wins.
      As of today Buffalo's opponents they have already played are 62 games above .500......the Jacks previous D-1 opponents are 6 games below. That's the difference right there.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
        As of today Buffalo's opponents they have already played are 62 games above .500......the Jacks previous D-1 opponents are 6 games below. That's the difference right there.
        Only one D1 team that Buffalo played is below 500 and that is New Jersey Tech. The Jacks on the other hand have 4 from non conference (Irvine, Ala St , UMKC , UND) and and 3 of the 4 conference games the teams are below .500. But hey we kicked their ass so who cares about RPI

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
          I understand the RPI system, what I'm trying to say that is that the system is weighted too heavily on who you have lost to compared to who you have beaten. Buffalo has lost to 5 top 50 teams, and they account for over 40 of those games over .500. Buffalo's best win is Toledo at #93. The Jacks have two "better" RPI wins, including #25 Buffalo head-to-head. RPI is the only game in town, and it's what we have to deal with, but it seems to me that it relies too much on strength of schedule. It has to be tough on mid-major coaches who have to decide if they want to spend a big part of their non-conference schedule on the road getting beat by highly ranked teams to get a good RPI, or schedule more winnable games that may allow you to develop your players but result in a lower RPI.

Comment

I figured you understood how RPI worked. You are right, there is too much value put in to who you have lost to. But we are a benefactor of that along with Buffalo. Our 12 wins have come against teams that are 46 games below .500. Only 4 wins have come against opponents with winning records that are currently 10-9, 10-9, 10-8 and Buffalo at 12-5.....yet we have an RPI of 59. Buffalo has 8 wins against teams with winning records so they have that going for them.

Comment

So... let's say we run the table and lose in the Summit League Championship (knock on wood). I assume there would be no chance we sneak in with an at large. With that assumption, how many of our 5 previous losses do you think would have needed to be wins?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                So... let's say we run the table and lose in the Summit League Championship (knock on wood). I assume there would be no chance we sneak in with an at large. With that assumption, how many of our 5 previous losses do you think would have needed to be wins?
                All of them.

Comment

Wyoming and then either Colorado or Missouri St. Probably still on the bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    Wyoming and then either Colorado or Missouri St. Probably still on the bubble.
                    I agree Wyoming was a bad loss. Had we beat the Cowboys and run the table in the Summit, we end up 27-4. Two wins and one loss in the Summit Tourney and we end up 29-5. Ive seen them leave teams out before with a good record like that. So who knows. One more win over Colo or MO St would be 30-4. That looks more impressive. How about if we would have beat Wyoming and Witchita St? BTW, we wont run the table......

Comment

I bet if we only got 2 but they were Kansas and Wichita State it would be close. That would be 29 or 30-4 with 2 top 20 wins. That's got to be close.

Comment

I think the main problem we have is we live in fly-over county and nobody cares. Until they quit confusing the Jacks with the Aztecs we have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                          I think the main problem we have is we live in fly-over county and nobody cares. Until they quit confusing the Jacks with the Aztecs we have a problem.
                          SVP can keep making the mistake. Gives us good coverage when he has to wear some Jackrabbit apparel.
                          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

New bracketology is out. Jackrabbits are a #13 playing against #4 Tennessee. The interesting part? They would play Wichita State in the second round and Kansas in the third. I would really like another shot at the Shockers.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

We are a one-bid conference. This year will be the same. Wish it was different but it isnt.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X