Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bracketology

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I cant hate on ESPN to much since they have some many college football games. same with college basketball which their on air talent I think is pretty solid. Their MLB coverage, they have a lot of games and their baseball game crews I feel are good. a little worried about sunday night baseball. Dan Shulman did a great job but i think he stepped down, and Aaron boone was good, If they could get Jessica Mendoza to stop would be great. she rambles and her game assessments are horrible. Their NFL coverage just drives me crazy so I avoid that as much as possible. However we dropped cable a year ago so don't see the daily espn crap like I use too. Like first take, horrible. The only show I thought was worth anything was around the horn, covered a lot of topics and different views on them with out the annoying arguing. but any network that covers that much college football and basketball and MLB I will take the good with the bad for sure.
    They don't have dick for baseball coverage. I'll bet it's 5% of NFL and NBA. They just don't have money invested in baseball so they don't cover it.

MLB network is the place to go for baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      This^^^

Evidence:

USD has a SOS rank of 249, SOR rank of 84, and an RPI rank of 94.
      SDSU has a SOS rank of 175, SOR rank of 52, and an RPI rank of 46.

You'd think we'd have a higher BPI right? Wrong. USD is 64 and SDSU is 85.

But, BPI is made up by ESPN so they have to pump it up. Truthfully, ESPN sucks. They are too big.
      KenPom has similar splits.

I do believe the tool the NCAA claims to use is RPI. However they aren't in a vacuum so they will be using other metrics as much as they claim they aren't.

RPI is SDSU favorable, but BPI and KenPom are anti-SDSU, so it all depends.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        They may not put Middle Tennessee in the tournament at all, they are definitely on the bubble right now. Just depends on what happens with the rest of the bubble teams in their conference tournament games.
        It doesn't matter whether Middle Tennessee makes the field or not since any at large team will be ahead of us. The only benefit we will get from their loss is if WKU loses also and then we will move up a spot. If WKU wins we will be in the same spot as if MTSU had won which is that conference champion and an at large ahead of us.

Unless of course I am totally missing your point in which case nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          They don't have dick for baseball coverage. I'll bet it's 5% of NFL and NBA. They just don't have money invested in baseball so they don't cover it.

MLB network is the place to go for baseball.
          Well they have several games a week which is better then nothing. baseball tonight cast is good. I wish it was more. I agree if I had cable I would enjoy it, we use to have the MLB network, but years ago they didn't have more games then ESPN, just it was nice to have coverage all the time. I agree its not as much as NFL and NBA coverage, but at least the on air talent is good IMHO. better then their NFL talents.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Plus the NCAA selection committee is supposedly using the "Quadrant" system this year, which is basically just the RPI wearing a fake nose/glasses/moustache.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
              It doesn't matter whether Middle Tennessee makes the field or not since any at large team will be ahead of us. The only benefit we will get from their loss is if WKU loses also and then we will move up a spot. If WKU wins we will be in the same spot as if MTSU had won which is that conference champion and an at large ahead of us.

Unless of course I am totally missing your point in which case nevermind.
              You're right. I was only considering whether Middle Tennessee would make the field or not. I didn't consider that if WKU would make it they would also be ahead of us, but it looks like they would be. I made an assumption that WKU would be a lower seed.

Old Dominion is a 1 pt favorite over WKU tonight, so hopefully they take care of business.

Would Old Dominion end up above us if they go and win that tournament though?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                You're right. I was only considering whether Middle Tennessee would make the field or not. I didn't consider that if WKU would make it they would also be ahead of us, but it looks like they would be. I made an assumption that WKU would be a lower seed.

Old Dominion is a 1 pt favorite over WKU tonight, so hopefully they take care of business.

Would Old Dominion end up above us if they go and win that tournament though?
                If ODU wins tonight they are predicted to go from 74 to 61ish in RPI depending on other results today. The other side of the bracket is weaker so I don't think it would be enough for them to pass us at least in terms of RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  Plus the NCAA selection committee is supposedly using the "Quadrant" system this year, which is basically just the RPI wearing a fake nose/glasses/moustache.
                  If the quadrant system sticks, that will be the death of mid major leagues getting two bids. It is designed to value total wins in "tougher" games. There is no way mid majors can keep up. Here is one example....

SDSU 28-6 or 24-6 in DI wins with a current RPI of 39.
                  Quadrant I (1-2)
                  Quadrant 2 (1-3)
                  Quadrant 3 (7-1)
                  Quadrant 4 (15-0)

LSU 17-14 with a current RPI of 90
                  Quadrant 1 (6-6)
                  Quadrant 2 (3-7)
                  Quadrant 3 (2-1)
                  Qyadrant 4 (6-0)

They have 5 more quadrant one wins and 2 more quadrant wins. They would be the preferred team by far if using only the quadrant system. I am assuming Kenpom would be in their favor also and therefore if it were only us two for an at large bid we would lose out. Not a good sign for the future for mid major leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                    If the quadrant system sticks, that will be the death of mid major leagues getting two bids. It is designed to value total wins in "tougher" games. There is no way mid majors can keep up. Here is one example....

SDSU 28-6 or 24-6 in DI wins with a current RPI of 39.
                    Quadrant I (1-2)
                    Quadrant 2 (1-3)
                    Quadrant 3 (7-1)
                    Quadrant 4 (15-0)

LSU 17-14 with a current RPI of 90
                    Quadrant 1 (6-6)
                    Quadrant 2 (3-7)
                    Quadrant 3 (2-1)
                    Qyadrant 4 (6-0)

They have 5 more quadrant one wins and 2 more quadrant wins. They would be the preferred team by far if using only the quadrant system. I am assuming Kenpom would be in their favor also and therefore if it were only us two for an at large bid we would lose out. Not a good sign for the future for mid major leagues.
                    Agree that doesn't look good.

One thing I believe is the difference between the top mid-majors and the last few P5 teams in the dance is not that big. It certainly isn't as big as strictly looking at quadrant wins would suggest. All these P5 teams stack their OOC schedule with home games and hardly ever go on the road. Then they add a resume building winning or two at home during conference.

I'd love to see a requirement of a team being over .500 during conference play to be eligible for an at-large. That will never happen though.

Mid-majors make the NCAA tournament what it is. It's sad they keep getting pushed away.

Comment

Latest update has the Jacks as a 13 playing Wichita State in Boise. Kansas is the #1 and in our pod. I looked through the seeding rules, and I didn't see anything about rematches from OOC games being prohibited. That is news to me.

So...how about this for crushing...MTSU went from being a single digit see to out of the tournament.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology

Edit: I found the rematch mentioned. It says "if possible." The only rematches that are definitively not allowed are conference matchups.
                      Last edited by SoDakJack; 03-10-2018, 07:55 AM. Reason: New info
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

MTSU is an example of how far the Summit is from a two bid league. They have a nice resume, a low 30 rpi, and play in a better conference. They are probably out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                          MTSU is an example of how far the Summit is from a two bid league. They have a nice resume, a low 30 rpi, and play in a better conference. They are probably out.

MTSU's issue the fact that they lost to Marshall at the end of the season, and then in the first round of their tournament. They could have survived one or the other, but not both.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            MTSU's issue the fact that they lost to Marshall at the end of the season, and then in the first round of their tournament. They could have survived one or the other, but not both.
                            Yeah probably true. I think if they win that game and lose second round they are last four in. MTSU RPI 34 with Texas 50 getting in before them seems wrong.

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                              Yeah probably true. I think if they win that game and lose second round they are last four in. MTSU RPI 34 with Texas 50 getting in before them seems wrong.

Quadrant 1 wins rule the day.

Comment

Vermont gets upset (11.5 pt favorites) by UMBC (University of Maryland-Baltimore County of course). This is good for SDSU, because Vermont could have been on the 12 line above SDSU, and UMBC will likely be a 16 seed. Vermont will not get an at large either.

Comment

Working...
                                X