GDT: Jackrabbits @ Pioneers in the MIle High City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Jackrabbits @ Pioneers in the MIle High City

Coach Turgeon may have coached up some of the Pioneer women. They are 10-7 with an 18 point victory at Ft Wayne. Jackrabbits should still be capable of making this game a routine win. It would be relaxing to have a strong first half with a 10 point lead at the mid point. It is likely to be a friends and family attendance tonight as the Denver turnout has not been strong with the new coach yet. Go Jacks!!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits @ Pioneers in the MIle High City

Coasting through the first half against a lesser opponent might work fine at Frost but please don't bring that approach on the road! I wouldn't mind a couple losses at WIU/USD but hopefully this year we can at least cut out the one road game where the Jacks appear to have been without sleep for 24 hours. There's no doubt teams like Denver get up for a game like this, don't let them get rolling on their home court.

Denver has a video feed for $10 - the bad part is that the game is on the same time as the MBB. It's too bad one of our teams did not play last night. Come on Summit League!

Comment

Did the women have a problem with traveling to Denver ? Their Twitter account yesterday showed a picture of them on the plane ready to travel. Then early this morning they posted a picture sitting in the airport along with a comment about a second attempt to get to Denver. Not sure if there was a weather problem yesterday in Denver or if there were mechanical problems, but something apparently caused a delay.

Comment

didn't find a video. but we must be doing that thing we let teams hang around us first half.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

31-29 Pioneers at the half. Jacks have 11 turnovers (7 or 8 in the first quarter), and the Pioneers have 9. Both teams averaging 14 per game.

Comment

Jacks pulled away in the 2nd half and won 69-58

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
              Jacks pulled away in the 2nd half and won 69-58

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like we waited till the 4th qtr to wake up and put this game out of reach. Wish we would start agame that way instead of letting other teams just hang around. This teams offense is really frustrating.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I just listened to the second half on the radio, so I can’t say for certain how we looked, but it probably was not good for the first 35:00. AJ did say “we looked tired” twice in the postgame interview and also mentioned that multiple players recently were sick. Hopefully that (plus the travel issue) are partly to blame. Seeing the two games last week makes me doubt that’s all there is to it.

I’ll be very wrong if we suddenly return to OOC form but I’m expecting ORU to get get double digit win Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  looks like we waited till the 4th qtr to wake up and put this game out of reach. Wish we would start agame that way instead of letting other teams just hang around. This teams offense is really frustrating.
                  I think there are certainly some things you could be frustrated about with this team, but offense certainly can't be the primary thing. This is the highest scoring team we have had since the 2004-2005 season, so they are putting up more points than we are used to seeing. Certainly there are things that can improve on this front, but the end result on the scoreboard is actually better than normal. Our turnovers are up slightly over the last couple of years, but is still generally better than what we have been traditionally. We are actually in the plus category for TO margin, which has been a positive trend for the program the last 4 years. Prior to that, we actually we very turnover prone. I am just really happy to finally see a team that can get some scoring punch from it's bench. The last two years I found to be very painful to watch since once we started to sub you just knew that our ability to make a run was severely compromised. To me the biggest frustration is with how we attack the rim and lack of post players that can just one-on-one make shots. Watch UWGB and FGCU attack the rim and watch us and it's a night and day difference. They aren't afraid to create contact and continue towards the rim. We seem very passive about that and can tend to settle for kick-out 3's a bit too much.

If anything the defense is a bit of a culprit. It seems the defensive intensity just isn't there initially. It seems to take us a half to get into a flow on the defensive side, which is just strange. I'm not sure if this is a player issue or a coaching game plan issue. Looking at the numbers this is the second to worst defense we have had in the last 10 years in terms of ppg (63), fg% allowed (.397), and 3 pt.% allowed (.330). If anything, the girls need to come out of the gates quicker on the defensive side of the ball and establish dominance early on. Especially considering how closely our offense is tied to getting stops on the defensive end which allows us to push in transition.

Comment

I am ready to offer a prediction based on remarks of illness and general knowledge of the public health in our area today. Since before Christmas there have been many many sick people. I would guess that even well conditioned healthy young people such as the Jackrabbit basketball team have been affected by this seasonal illnesses. The WBB may even be more at risk since they travel through more public places such as the dreaded and infected airports. My prediction is we will see a "second wind" arrive within 10 days as those "winter blahs" run the course within the team. This ends the E-visit session. Of course, not all patients respond the same. I rechecked the box scores for the WBB conference games and there was not any asterisks indicating ugly win...it just says 3-0. (It is too bad that ORU game is Saturday instead of a day off. They are starting to gel in Tulsa.)
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                      I think there are certainly some things you could be frustrated about with this team, but offense certainly can't be the primary thing. This is the highest scoring team we have had since the 2004-2005 season, so they are putting up more points than we are used to seeing. Certainly there are things that can improve on this front, but the end result on the scoreboard is actually better than normal. Our turnovers are up slightly over the last couple of years, but is still generally better than what we have been traditionally. We are actually in the plus category for TO margin, which has been a positive trend for the program the last 4 years. Prior to that, we actually we very turnover prone. I am just really happy to finally see a team that can get some scoring punch from it's bench. The last two years I found to be very painful to watch since once we started to sub you just knew that our ability to make a run was severely compromised. To me the biggest frustration is with how we attack the rim and lack of post players that can just one-on-one make shots. Watch UWGB and FGCU attack the rim and watch us and it's a night and day difference. They aren't afraid to create contact and continue towards the rim. We seem very passive about that and can tend to settle for kick-out 3's a bit too much.

If anything the defense is a bit of a culprit. It seems the defensive intensity just isn't there initially. It seems to take us a half to get into a flow on the defensive side, which is just strange. I'm not sure if this is a player issue or a coaching game plan issue. Looking at the numbers this is the second to worst defense we have had in the last 10 years in terms of ppg (63), fg% allowed (.397), and 3 pt.% allowed (.330). If anything, the girls need to come out of the gates quicker on the defensive side of the ball and establish dominance early on. Especially considering how closely our offense is tied to getting stops on the defensive end which allows us to push in transition.

To your point, the offense has had some really good games, but some where they are struggling. The defense hasn't been as great as its been other years, but the offense will just work the ball and everyone contributes one game, but other games, I feel we are stuck at 25 points or so at half time and they are just to good IMHO to allow teams to keep our scoring down. We have seen we can score. that's whats frustrating is some good offensive games, and others its like 2nd half is really good and first half we can barely will have a lead.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        I am ready to offer a prediction based on remarks of illness and general knowledge of the public health in our area today. Since before Christmas there have been many many sick people. I would guess that even well conditioned healthy young people such as the Jackrabbit basketball team have been affected by this seasonal illnesses. The WBB may even be more at risk since they travel through more public places such as the dreaded and infected airports. My prediction is we will see a "second wind" arrive within 10 days as those "winter blahs" run the course within the team. This ends the E-visit session. Of course, not all patients respond the same. I rechecked the box scores for the WBB conference games and there was not any asterisks indicating ugly win...it just says 3-0. (It is too bad that ORU game is Saturday instead of a day off. They are starting to gel in Tulsa.)
                        I agree - I'm surprised that people seem to be disappointed by a 3-0 start with an average margin of victory of 19 points. The team didn't get off to a strong start last night, but when you add in the illnesses with the team having to bus to and fly out of Omaha early in the morning of game day, it was fortunate that they did come around and get the win. They are not playing as well as they did against Louisville, but hopefully we are working on getting back to that level.

Comment

Hope the team has enough gas in the tank so to speak to put a bow on it for our first conference road session this year, and get the win vs a very good ORU. You just know they will come out of the gate strong, especially if they perceive that we haven't been, and try and get the lead that will carry them through to the end of the game. I'm hoping we'll be slightly less road weary than the Denver game and take care of business so we can get back home undefeated so far this season. Nice little four game home stand coming up to rejuvenate and fine tune some things a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            I just listened to the second half on the radio, so I can’t say for certain how we looked, but it probably was not good for the first 35:00. AJ did say “we looked tired” twice in the postgame interview and also mentioned that multiple players recently were sick. Hopefully that (plus the travel issue) are partly to blame. Seeing the two games last week makes me doubt that’s all there is to it.

I’ll be very wrong if we suddenly return to OOC form but I’m expecting ORU to get get double digit win Saturday.
                            I saw the game on pioneer vision and it was just poor passing mainly ,forced a lot of them , got a lot of TO's but fortunately caused them to get some too and Denver came out shooting well. Things improved greatly the second half. I 'm just about encouraged we can play poorly and still win the games, we seem to do good things just enough, but , I'd be a lot happier if we were playing as close to mistake free ball as we could ,with out sacrificing being as assertive and aggressive as we need to be either, it's somewhat of a fine balance between the two. I'm thinking if we continue to find ways to win, it only makes us stronger and harder to have to deal with for the opposition.We can always fine tune things and elevate our play,but it's the toughness, refusing to lose part of the game that really makes the difference a lot of times.

Comment

I see the defense lapse from time to time and I would think that 2 true freshmen, Irwin & Selland, will tighten their spots as the year goes on. They have some problems, but they will learn enough with 2 games against each conference team to be more solid at the SLT. The same may be said for transfers Cascio-Jensen and Larson with their defense after they see some players again at SLT.

Comment

Working...
                              X